Which laptop should I go for?

Here are the links: 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/hp/hp-14-cm0084au-14-laptop/644061/

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-ideapad-120s-14-celeron-laptop-sylip120sc

I'm only going to be using this as a secondary laptop to do some word processing and some occasional online flash games. For this price point are there any better options? With this, I'm looking for battery life as well. Which laptop should I go for? Personally, I prefer the HP laptop because the looks and the build quality seem pretty good.  I heard that the graphics on the AMD processor is better than Intel, but what about the CPU side? Is the Celeron better than the E2? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

At this pricepoint you can get a lot more if you look into refurbished laptops. That gen of amd gets quite hot, and that intel one is pretty weak (amd too for that matter). So take a look into those

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

At this pricepoint you can get a lot more if you look into refurbished laptops. That gen of amd gets quite hot, and that intel one is pretty weak (amd too for that matter). So take a look into those

As I said, I'm not using this for anything heavy at all. Plus I would prefer to have a laptop that comes with a bit of warranty. Pretty much all I'm going to end up doing on this is word processing. With the AMD then, how hot exactly? I used to own a cheap $500 Pentium 2 in 1 laptop that was passively cooled. Will this get hotter than that?

Just now, slickboss21 said:

As I said, I'm not using this for anything heavy at all. Plus I would prefer to have a laptop that comes with a bit of warranty. Pretty much all I'm going to end up doing on this is word processing. With the AMD then, how hot exactly? I used to own a cheap $500 Pentium 2 in 1 laptop that was passively cooled. Will this get hotter than that?

Refurbished laptops come with warrenty, so not a valid argument. I do those things daily, and I highly recommend an old i3 for that pricepoint. My amd laptop is at the same gen (a8 6410) and it runs 60 degrees on idle with active cooling. So much hotter probebly.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Refurbished laptops come with warrenty, so not a valid argument. I do those things daily, and I highly recommend an old i3 for that pricepoint. My amd laptop is at the same gen (a8 6410) and it runs 60 degrees on idle with active cooling. So much hotter probebly.

Alright, I'll take a look into refurbished laptops... Another reason why I don't like to go for used Laptops is there are not very many places to buy them where I live, I'll have a look thought. Also, I just checked and the TDP for your AMD chip is 15 watts and the one I linked to was 10 watts. Does that mean mine will run cooler than yours? Excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions, I'm relatively new to this.

7 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

Alright, I'll take a look into refurbished laptops... Another reason why I don't like to go for used Laptops is there are not very many places to buy them where I live, I'll have a look thought. Also, I just checked and the TDP for your AMD chip is 15 watts and the one I linked to was 10 watts. Does that mean mine will run cooler than yours? Excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions, I'm relatively new to this.

Yes that usually means it runs cooler with the same cooling, although the tdp (the wattage of heat it puts out) isnt really accurate because of cpu boost under heavy load where the clockspeed gets higher and the heat output rises with it

14 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

well, on a baseline yeah. but I use active cooling, and probebly some thicker heatpipes. so I think it won't be that much off

24 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

Yes that usually means it runs cooler with the same cooling, although the tdp (the wattage of heat it puts out) isnt really accurate because of cpu boost under heavy load where the clockspeed gets higher and the heat output rises with it

Will the computer running hot actually damage it in some way? As I said earlier, I used to own a $500 Pentium laptop (N3700 I think) which was passively cooled. Will this run hotter than that?

Edit: It broke a while back and I took it apart, the whole cooling solution was a heat-pad screwed into the motherboard with a heat pipe leading out to a small sheet of metal, which I assume helped distribute the heat to the back cover.

Edited by slickboss21
accidentally wrote wrong CPU

2 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

Will the computer running hot actually damage it in some way? As I said earlier, I used to own a $500 Pentium laptop (N3700 I think) which was passively cooled. Will this run hotter than that?

I can't tell as I don't know what pentium. but I have a general baseline of 80 degrees as a max. you could try to undervolt it if it's hotter than that, because above that it will generally shorten the lifespan of the cpu

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I can't tell as I don't know what pentium. but I have a general baseline of 80 degrees as a max. you could try to undervolt it if it's hotter than that, because above that it will generally shorten the lifespan of the cpu

Oh, s*** is it bad that the laptop I currently use (8550U) reaches package temps of 98°C when stress testing the CPU??

8 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

Will the computer running hot actually damage it in some way? As I said earlier, I used to own a $500 Pentium laptop (N3060 I think) which was passively cooled. Will this run hotter than that?

Edit: It broke a while back and I took it apart, the whole cooling solution was a heat-pad screwed into the motherboard with a heat pipe leading out to a small sheet of metal, which I assume helped distribute the heat to the back cover.

well, that's a lower tdp chip. it should be just fine passively. As said, if it runs below 81,3 degrees (to be a little more exact), you're fine. otherwise you want to undervolt the chip. But ssd's and a good i3 works way nicer, even if it's an older one. I work on a 2330m at the moment, going to upgrade it with a ssd soon, and it will run buttersmooth for those tasks. something like a 4000 or 3000 series should fit inside your budget.

5 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

Oh, s*** is it bad that the laptop I currently use (8550U) reaches package temps of 98°C when stress testing the CPU??

yeah. that's not good for the cpu imo. wouldn't recommend.

but with that said, I never run stresstests on a laptop, so I don't know that much about how it is in real life tasks

Edited by LukeSavenije

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yeah. that's not good for the cpu imo. wouldn't recommend.

What should I do about that? I haven't changed any settings since I bought it, why does it run this hot??

1 minute ago, slickboss21 said:

What should I do about that? I haven't changed any settings since I bought it, why does it run this hot??

how hot does it run in a real life task like some heavy gaming? 

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

also, was that a cpu/gpu stresstest or cpu only?

CPU only stress test inside XTU, after the 28 second boost period the temps drop down to around 90 Celcius.

13 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

CPU only stress test inside XTU, after the 28 second boost period the temps drop down to around 90 Celcius.

okay. and if you run something like 3dmark firestrike, what temps do you get then?

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay. and if you run something like 3dmark firestrike, what temps do you get then?

I'll check

55 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

why does it run this hot

Because Intel. Pushing higher clock speeds and more cores without architecture improvement. Too much heat output to be handled by simple cooling solution in many laptops

Try undervolting and set lower boost clock profile via Throttlestop. Refer to my laptop reviews to see how to do it

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 hours ago, slickboss21 said:

98 C under stress test isnt a really big concern because you will never reach the load thats put on the cpu in a real world test.

And it shouldnt decrease the lifespan of the chip as long as it doesnt thermal throttle, although im not sure about that

The cpu in laptops is often meant to thermal throttle by the manufacturer

5 hours ago, slickboss21 said:

Here are the links: 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/hp/hp-14-cm0084au-14-laptop/644061/

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-ideapad-120s-14-celeron-laptop-sylip120sc

I'm only going to be using this as a secondary laptop to do some word processing and some occasional online flash games. For this price point are there any better options? With this, I'm looking for battery life as well. Which laptop should I go for? Personally, I prefer the HP laptop because the looks and the build quality seem pretty good.  I heard that the graphics on the AMD processor is better than Intel, but what about the CPU side? Is the Celeron better than the E2? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

Whats your budget