should I upgrade my mobo and cpu or just cpu

Go to solution Solved by ImActualTrash,

so i went to the decision of mobo and cpu upgrade, i have a aorus z270x gaming 5 and an i3 7100, thanks for the advice!

now I know alot will say mobo and cpu upgrade, however my current 1st gen i7 920 still kinda holds to todays standards with modern gaming, now I have a deal on an i7 975 extreme edition right now but I have found a reasonably cheaper 6th and 7th gen motherboard which would be great, but the cost of the motherboard is more than the mobo, that and I'll still need to buy the cpu if I get the mobo, thanks!

What about something like a 4770k or 4790k? You could get a nice xeon if your mobo supports it

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

What about something like a 4770k or 4790k? You could get a nice xeon if your mobo supports it

I don't run xeons was told they are for server builds only

Just now, Pumpkinboat746 said:

I don't run xeons was told they are for server builds only

That's a mith. They are meant for workstations primarly, but they are exept for ecc memory support exact the same, and sometimes are better than the consumer part. So if you can find a deal on it and your mobo supports it, go ahead

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

That's a mith. They are meant for workstations primarly, but they are exept for ecc memory support exact the same, and sometimes are better than the consumer part. So if you can find a deal on it and your mobo supports it, go ahead

will keep a lookout, thx!

depending on what performance you're looking for i would consider a Xeon X5660/X5670 and overclock that to around 4.4GHz, if your motherboard supports those which very likely with the newest bios version.

you can get x x5660 for like 25$

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Its just an example... i gave .. your previous line about thinking is very wrong.. i have no problems with my x5650 to demolish current gen games so ... My advice prob would be to get the new stuff
GL

if your motherboard supports overclocking definitely go for a xeon; any from the X5650-X5690 lineup - when overclocked they're a beast

not to mention that these xeons go for roughly 30 bucks on ebay, I picked up my X5680 for roughly 35$

• 4 weeks later...

so i went to the decision of mobo and cpu upgrade, i have a aorus z270x gaming 5 and an i3 7100, thanks for the advice!

On 12/5/2018 at 6:04 PM, Pumpkinboat746 said:

note this is a 1st gen i7 made in like 2010, i dislike AMD builds

Check out the videos of Bryan over a Tech Yes City. He frequently features cheap Xeon upgrades for X58 systems:

https://www.google.com/search?q=x58+xeon+tech+yes+city&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ85qklNXfAhWP-2EKHYg0AgAQ_AUIDygC&biw=1454&bih=867

He makes head to head comparisons of his x58 builds with newer stuff.

Also just curious...why the dislike for AMD builds?

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

On 1/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, grss1982 said:

Check out the videos of Bryan over a Tech Yes City. He frequently features cheap Xeon upgrades for X58 systems:

https://www.google.com/search?q=x58+xeon+tech+yes+city&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ85qklNXfAhWP-2EKHYg0AgAQ_AUIDygC&biw=1454&bih=867

He makes head to comparisons of his x58 builds with newer stuff.

Also just curious...why the dislike for AMD builds?

I dislike them because I don't stream much, I make videos but to edit I just need more ram on which I have plenty of, however I'm not treating my PC like a workstation or editor, I just play games on it really, so an Intel build would be better suited for me (except that ThreadRipper v.2, that's a different story)