How do server owners with RAID keep track of which drive is which for replacement purposes?

Hi guys,

I was wondering how or what server owners use to know which drive is connected to which port, so that when one fails, you can swap it out easily?

I imagine that if you have a RAID card, it will tell you which SATA port it's connected to, but let's say you were using a combination of a RAID card (for one RAID) and Windows 2008 Server's software RAID? 

I ask because I recently had to change a HDD in a RAID setup in a server with that configuration, and Crystal Disk Info told me one of the drives were failing (or about to), and the Disk Management said it failed redundancy, but there are 10 drives in the server in total, and I am not sure which one is the failing one. None are labeled.

Any advice for future RAID management in regards to this issue? 

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i also wonder

if some one has bought a 4TB drive now for raid 0

3 years later one died and wants to replace it with the same model to rebuild the raid

but the problem they dont exist anymore

maybe a 4TB model but a 2 platter version or something could it work ?

should he replace the whole thing ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Usually there is software installed on the windows server 2k8 side that will inform you the bad drive and the data port number. The specific name of the raid monitoring software depends on what is included with the raid card.

In a case such as yours and cannot find the raid management software in windows and the server can be restarted. You can go into the raid bios and it should tell you which drive has dropped from the raid array.

Hi guys,

I was wondering how or what server owners use to know which drive is connected to which port, so that when one fails, you can swap it out easily?

I imagine that if you have a RAID card, it will tell you which SATA port it's connected to, but let's say you were using a combination of a RAID card (for one RAID) and Windows 2008 Server's software RAID? 

I ask because I recently had to change a HDD in a RAID setup in a server with that configuration, and Crystal Disk Info told me one of the drives were failing (or about to), and the Disk Management said it failed redundancy, but there are 10 drives in the server in total, and I am not sure which one is the failing one. None are labeled.

Any advice for future RAID management in regards to this issue? 

Thanks,

Vitalius

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

i also wonder

3 years later one died and wants to replace it with the same model to rebuild the raid

Well, to be honest, RAID drives don't have to be the same brand/model. Only the same speed (for performance reasons) and size. 

I don't really understand the logic of why people think they have to be the same model. I figure it's for performance reasons (a 4TB 7200RPM drive of two different models probably perform slightly different), or something similar. 

I don't think there's a compatibility issue, because I don't think it matter for RAID what type of drives it uses. I could be wrong. But, for me, it makes no logical sense, based on how I understand RAID to work.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I have never used Windows servers software RAID, so I can't answer that question.But I know Solaris can tell you which dataport has a failed or failing drive.

I keep track of my drives the old fashioned way. I have a label on all the cables, numbering them from 1-24. I then have the numbers written down on labels on the hot swap bays. That way i always know which drive have failed and which cable that belongs to that drive.

Edit; I forgot to say that my RAID card can inform me which drive has failed and in which port it is plugged in, and my numbering scheme follows that of the RAID card.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Usually there is software installed on the windows server 2k8 side that will inform you the bad drive and the data port number. The specific name of the raid monitoring software depends on what is included with the raid card.

In a case such as yours and cannot find the raid management software in windows and the server can be restarted. You can go into the raid bios and it should tell you which drive has dropped from the raid array.

Hmm, that makes sense. 

I think our problem is that the RAID card is essentially just being used for it's SATA ports. The RAID5 array was built with Disk Management in Windows 2k8 server. So software RAID. :|

How would I find out which HDD it is with this, specifically?

11874244296_2685a54125_o.png

The way my supervisor did it was he right clicked the drive and clicked Properties which told him the Bus Number, Target ID, and LUN (what is that?). 

How that tells him where the drives are, I don't know.

† Christian Member †

raid 0 does not have a "rebuild" feature as there is no parody which would allow for rebuild. If one drive fails, you essentially loose all data.

I also would recommend creating a new post with your questions on raid to help minimize the confusion later on.

i also wonder

Well for your do it yourself servers you should label the ports (on the cable) and the drives with the Controller and Port number, this is assuming you don't later want to fish it  out of the mess of cables you have, especially in a 24+ drive system, sure a four drive system it can be easy and also easy to get the wrong one.

For the big ones you also have features like led's on the drive bays so you can toggle drive led's by row, column and then go pop out that drive.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

raid 0 does not have a "rebuild" feature as there is no parody which would allow for rebuild. If one drive fails, you essentially loose all data.

I also would recommend creating a new post with your questions on raid to help minimize the confusion later on.

oops

when i said rebuild

i was talking about raid 1

i had a similar question about raid

i thought it would be a good idea just to add to it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

For the big ones you also have features like led's on the drive bays so you can toggle drive led's by row, column and then go pop out that drive.

Pretty much. That's where so many lights in server rooms come from.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Pretty much. That's where so many lights in server rooms come from.

Yes, without those LED's datacenter would be all florescent lighting. I know of a SuperComputer Center where the actual super computer was usually glossed over by people touring it in favor of the fileserver because the fileserver had so many LED lights (those on the drives) flickering due to activity, people would ogh and agh over the fileserver but just pass the SuperComputer un-impressed due to lack of activity LED's.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

This is quite an interesting method of finding a dead drive. I personally never seen a software raid5 on server 2k8.

Hmm, that makes sense. 

I think our problem is that the RAID card is essentially just being used for it's SATA ports. The RAID5 array was built with Disk Management in Windows 2k8 server. So software RAID. :|

How would I find out which HDD it is with this, specifically?

The way my supervisor did it was he right clicked the drive and clicked Properties which told him the Bus Number, Target ID, and LUN (what is that?). 

How that tells him where the drives are, I don't know.

This is quite an interesting method of finding a dead drive. I personally never seen a software raid5 on server 2k8.

Well, if you go to Windows 7 or 8 (anything after XP really), click start, type "Create" and click "Create and format hard disk partitions", it will open Disk Management. From here, you can right click unused drives that are connected to your computer and put them in a RAID. It allows RAID 0, 1, and 5. 

If you go to Server Manager on Windows 2k8, then go to the bottom option "Storage", and expand it, Disk Management will be in it. Then you repeat the process as above because Disk Management in Windows 7/8 and 2k8 are essentially the same thing. 

I believe that's how it's done.

† Christian Member †