Linux forum recommendations?

This holiday season I'm getting an old server to figure out how to run Linux so I can finally stop using Windows. I've heard some varying opinions lately on the quality of Linux forums, or at least what support level they offer. I figure that since I'm a Linux beginner, I'd like a forum to search around that has info for that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/

^ Thats where I got my start

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Aside from the reddit pages, most major distros have their own forum. You can also try asking here or on level1techs.com.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 3 weeks later...

I've installed Elementary Linux distro. It's good enough for beginners. I use it as an alternative and nothing more.

I am in this subforum like other guys too

Usually distro specific doesn't matter much as a lot of stuff is the same. You should probably start of with something big like Ubuntu, because then if you get a problem it's more likely that someone will have asked about it before.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Agreed, start with a major distro. Ubuntu is probably the best polished free/easy distro. Updates are... relatively easy, you can run firefox or chromium, etc. 

If you want something different later, then try it. 

Honestly the best thing to do would be to try a live CD/USB of whatever distros you wanna try.

I use YUMI to create a USB with multiple live distros. 

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Try Ubuntu, try Debian (more professional), try Mint, try Fedora, try Zorin, pick which one you like the best. Linux is ultimately customizable so you can really change just about everything. 

Ubuntu is like the more colorful younger brother of debian. Debian is definitely more professional. Mint and Zorin are very windows like, Fedora is sponsored by Red Hat.... the big name in the linux industry. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Agreed, start with a major distro. Ubuntu is probably the best polished free/easy distro

A friend of mine recently lent me his Lubuntu disk to put in a super old system, is this relatively the same?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

A friend of mine recently lent me his Lubuntu disk to put in a super old system, is this relatively the same?

Na just go download the latest versions online. They're all free. 

Lubuntu is a "lighter" version of ubuntu. There are very many "light" linux distros. Puppy linux is another. (It's not actually based on puppies.) 

Just now, corrado33 said:

It's not actually based on puppies.

That's ruff

Primary PC:

Also, one thing to know about linux is that there are different "desktop" environments you can have. Some are KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, Mate, etc. These are essentially how your OS will look. You could have a desktop environment that looks like mac, or one that looks like windows. They're LIKE themes, but they ultimately change the entire GUI of the install.

For example, ubuntu usually comes with both GNOME and KDE, and you can chose between the two... or have multiple "windows" with both started at once. (IIRC it's ctrl alt F1-F7 to get to different consoles... or maybe ctrl shift F1-F7. You could have GNOME on one "tab" and KDE on another, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying out different Linux distros for a somewhat similar Xeon E3-1225V5-based system and I have found Debian 9 Stretch with Gnome (Debian's current default) desktop to be the "best fit" option so far. I have tried Ubuntu, Fedora Workstation, Antergos (based on Arch), ElementaryOS and pop_OS. Each of these has given me one reason or another to go back to Debian. I am also drawn to the idea of Debian's rock-solid stability. An added bonus comes from being able to search for help on not only Debian forums but also Ubuntu. If you choose to install, I recommend using the net installer via USB flash drive. Good luck!