My GPU is starting to get hot to the touch

Levi8642

So my graphics card copper tubing, the one I’m pointing to, gets hot to the touch somtimes hot where it burns. But the graphics card plastic(itself) doesn’t got hot and when I check the temp of my GPU it goes up to Around 48c while browsing and maybe 62c while gaming, any reasons for it? And it all started after my Hard drive cord melted and I had to buy a new hard drive? And install windows 10 again? Could it be because of my power supply? It’s a 600 watt or maybe a 650. It seems my CPU is actually fine and that doesn’t heat up just the graphics card.

any help would be much appreciated thanks!!

AEC46D3F-F798-4FF1-9E8E-EDB947391138.jpeg

Do you know what copper pipes are supposed to do? it transfers the heat from the processing unit to the heatsink, like...  OBVIOUSLY it is going to hot under load.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Do you know what copper pipes are supposed to do? it transfers the heat from the processing unit to the heatsink, like...  OBVIOUSLY it is going to hot under load.

Also, threshold of pain for humans is around 60C (I lied, it's more like 45C), well below anything I'd worry about on a GPU. 

That was fast!! Lol but ok thanks I didn’t know that so everything should be fine then?

Of course the Plastic doesn't get hot, it doesn't conduct. Likewise, of course the metal gets hot, it's conducting heat.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Levi8642 said:

That was fast!! Lol but ok thanks I didn’t know that so everything should be fine then?

Yep, all fine, no worries.

Also, why is your PSU fan facing up?

Your 62c while gaming is actually a fairly good temp, my gpu sits at 82c while gaming.  You have nothing to worry about.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

So even if it’s burning hot to the touch while not even gaming ???

Yeah, that means it's doing its job.  Also, it's generally considered bad practice to be poking around in the case while the system's running.  You could burn yourself ? 

Edit: You really should flip that psu tho.  Does your case not have vents on the bottom?

/ _)
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

why are you touching your GPU which gaming?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Fez_Boy said:

Yeah, that means it's doing its job.  Also, it's generally considered bad practice to be poking around in the case while the system's running.  You could burn yourself ? 

Ok man I appreacit everything! Means a lot 

Just now, Arika S said:

why are you touching your GPU?

Why is it bad, could I burn myself lol??

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Yep, all fine, no worries.

Also, why is your PSU fan facing up?

I literally thought about this just now I was gonna maybe flip it upside down when I get him should I only do that if there are vents underneath it??

6 minutes ago, Levi8642 said:

So even if it’s burning hot to the touch while not even gaming ???

I lied, the human threshold of pain is around 45 degrees C. So yes, it's going to hurt if you touch it anytime it's above 45C, which is COOL in terms of GPU temps. 

1 minute ago, Levi8642 said:

should I only do that if there are vents underneath it??

Yes.  If there are no vents it can't pull any air.

/ _)
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

4 minutes ago, Levi8642 said:

Why is it bad, could I burn myself lol??

not likely to "burn" yourself no, but still, why are you touching it, is there a reason behind why you think you need to touch it while it's running?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If you had vents in teh bottom of your case, most do now even have a filter on them. yes you should flip it! as it pumping warm air into your case (not massive amount) 

as for your temps then are actually better then 70% of peoples i know. 

most cards run around 60/75 degrees depending on air flow and GPU design. and or liquid cooled. ( pretty much what all have said ) 

but i don't recommend touching your GPU when running

1 the obvious it will burn you. 
2. you can easily damage it 
3 NEVER touch the fan when running, the card should cause a fail safe as such and reboot your computer but can cause worse stuff to happen 

and your power supply is over kill :D nothing wrong with that but thought id mention it haha. 

Just now, Arika S said:

not likely to "burn" yourself no, but still, why are you touching it, is there a reason behind why you think you need to touch it while it's running?

Well I wanted to show u guys which copper tubing was getting hot so I was just Touching it lol

1 minute ago, Yeti in a thong said:

If you had vents in teh bottom of your case, most do now even have a filter on them. yes you should flip it! as it pumping warm air into your case (not massive amount) 

as for your temps then are actually better then 70% of peoples i know. 

most cards run around 60/75 degrees depending on air flow and GPU design. and or liquid cooled. ( pretty much what all have said ) 

but i don't recommend touching your GPU when running

1 the obvious it will burn you. 
2. you can easily damage it 
3 NEVER touch the fan when running, the card should cause a fail safe as such and reboot your computer but can cause worse stuff to happen 

and your power supply is over kill :D nothing wrong with that but thought id mention it haha. 

Thanks man and I will flip my LSU when I get home should I not flip it if it doesn’t have vents on the bottom?

2 minutes ago, Levi8642 said:

Thanks man and I will flip my LSU when I get home should I not flip it if it doesn’t have vents on the bottom?

My bad might be asking questions over because there’s so many people talking to me at ounce lol but thanks I got it fogired out

Sounds like its doing something. Should run aida and touch the cpu IHS.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Levi8642 said:

Where is the cpu IHs

Directly above the cpu die itself.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz