Sudden High Temps on Watercooling loop... possible causes?

So im running an EK-MLC Phoenix with 360 Rad, GPU, CPU combo. its sold as an AIO but its basically a full loop with the fan/res bolted onto the Rad, prefilled, with quick disconnects.

until the past few days it ran GREAT hardly ever needing the rad fans to kick in, but its started to stutter loads in games and on investigation im seeing thermal throttling on the CPU and GPU!

its not a fan thing as running all 6 pushpull fans at 100% makes zero difference. the pump PWM RPM is reported as 3100rpm

the unit's under warranty and ive contacted EK support waiting for a reply, but what do you guys think the probable cause it? Im thinking something to do with water flow, either the pump packed up, a blockage, or not enough water? I cant see it being the thermal paste etc. as the CPU and GPU both doing the same thing at the same time doesnt fit that.

for the meantime ive returned the 8700k to STOCK settings and put a 60% powerlimit on the 1080ti plus in PUB ive set evey=rything to low and put an 80FPS cap on. it still hits high 70s on the GPU tho :(

You are probably right.  The pump is probably not flowing.  Can you feel the tubes vibrating when the system is on?  Or hear the pump running?

Any pump noise? Or maybe the pump isn't running?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

if i lower the pump speed then i can tell a difference in the pump. but i do remember the pump sounding a lot louder.

this is my second unit, the 1st was RMA'd as the pump was too loud

what i just sent to EK...

I run the pump at 100% constant and have always done. It is connected to the W_PUMP header on my Motherboard (Asus Maximus X).

Here are my temperatures @ 100% @ Idle

Setting the pump to 30% speed causes water temperatures to rise quickly at idle. This screenshot was after about 30seconds… FYI when I had previously run the system at variable pump speed it was more than capable of keeping the system cool at idle with 30% RPM. I only have the system set to run at 100% as I was advised this is healthier for the pump than variable speed, and the noise is not bothering me.

I have the fans (6x Vardar fans, I added an additional 3) running from CPU and CPU_OPT with a fairly conservative fan curve. As mentioned previously setting the fans to 100% does not appear to have any impact on the temperatures, and cold air is being expelled from the rear of the case indicating to me this is some kind of circulation/convection issue rather than the radiator not being able to dissipate heat.

With regards to reseating the CPU block, I am hesitant to do this, as I am experiencing the same problem with both the CPU and GPU which indicates an issue not with the CPU TIM. You can see from this image that even with all 6 fans at 100% and a GPU-only AIDA64 stress test the GPU temps climb whilst CPU temps are fine.

With regards to the water, it is unclear to me how I can check the water level but even if I could, and it was low I would have no way to refill it as I have no spare coolant. I would be happy to first try this if you could ship me a small bottle? That said, I am not sure that a low water level would cause this sort of sudden and dramatic problem, I assume instead that this can only be caused by a faulty pump?

Also I not that the water pump is VERY quiet, and I remember it being a lot louder. If I tap the pump I can hear what sounds like a small rattling inside like perhaps a bearing rattling inside? Also if you look at my records you will see that I have already had to RMA one rad module due to a pump issue (noisy pump) and so I am concerned that this is a pump issue and means I’ll need to RMA the unit.

Thanks

Jim

Either the pump is dying or the radiator isn't able to get rid of the heat of both your cpu and gpu. I have a 360 and a 420 and if my fans aren't going fast then the rads get really really toasty.

If it was me I'd look at getting some used radiators (they're often cheap here in the UK) and pump, suppose you'll need blocks too, the blocks will be a bit difficult 2nd hand due to the rate of card releases people often sell the blocks with the cards.

Did you check the fluid level? Perhaps with the orientation of the rad, air is trapped in the pump. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

EK replied and advised they were confident it was a faulty pump and to RMA the unit.

last time i RMA'd one of these it was a very painless process, as soon as i can get the RMA raised (their website wont let me click the button to RMA the same thing twice!) il get this done.

the pain part for me is that i have swapped the fans and added 3 more, so ive got to remove and reinstall 6 fans

Ok so justuodating the thread for anyone that finds this in the future.

ek sent me a new unit next day delivery. Top work.

but I had the same problem!

finally worked out I had a kink in one of the GPU hoses! Straightening the kink returned everything to normal! The pipe itself seems to want to kink now so I’m guessing I’ll need to cut the dodgy bit out (I need the pipe shorter anyway so it doesn’t have a huge bend)

never expected that id be able to kink that hard rubber tubing but guess I did without noticing when I swapped to a vertical GPu mount.

User error...

image.jpeg.acbd05a3705261d34f7c4b94c4fd403f.jpeg

Also highlights the importance of posting pictures, somebody may have been able to see it.