Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About to build my first computer! Plz Help!

Hey everyone!

I've been diligently wasting time at work to learn more about computers since the summer so I could figure out what I needed to buy/build a new computer. I have a 17r4 alienware laptop 7700hq, 1070, 32gb ram, 3tb of storage 2 are ssd. So its a pretty powerful laptop but I dont get the most out of my monitor.(alienware 3440x1440 120hz g sync)

I looked over many different boutique build companies but after learning parts to cost ratios between buying a pre built and building my own I learned quickly I should build my own and save alot of money. So here we are!

Build list 

I7 9700k w/ corsair h115i

Evga 2080 ti ftw3

Asus maximus x code

Corsair vengeance pro rgb 3000hz 32gb

Evga 1600 P2

Samsung 970 evo

Wd blue 1tb ssd

Wd black 2tb hdd

Corsair obsidian 500d rgb se

 

Just wondering if any of you have tips or recommendations for the build/parts I have chosen. My main question is I went with a z370 mobo with the 9700k and I'm wondering how that will play out with the bios update, if i need to update the bios of the mobo before putting the processor in. This might seem like a dumb question to some, so sorry in advance haha. Im pretty excited but also a little nervous so I'm exhausting all my resources of knowledge that I have. Ill be starting the build on Tuesday, my next day off and I have two friends that have experience with building to help me from fucking up $3500. So thanks in advance for your knowledge, experience and tips! Cheers!

 

 

20181130_205653.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many systems do you plan to power with the psu?

 

You may need to update the BIOS. Check the motherboard. The i7-9700K needs BIOS 1704 which was released at the beginning of October 2018. If you do need to update the BIOS you are fortunate as the motherboard has the USB BIOS Flashback feature that allows updating the BIOS without a working cpu or memory.

 

See https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-CODE/HelpDesk_BIOS/ for the BIOS and https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1013998?SearchKey=usb bios flashback/ for instructions.

 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

you should ask before you bought it. there's no use suggesting a shopping guide right now.

i see so many fans and 2 ssd.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

i see so many fans and 2 ssd.

There is one 2TB WD Black.

 

There's quite a bit I'd personally change here, but that's no good.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible that your motherboard shipped with an updated BIOS and you won't have to update it. 

 

But if you do, there is a way to do it through USB. (You basically download the bios from the internet onto a blank USB, then restart and hold or tap certain keys, then choose the bios file on the USB.) But those instructions will either be on the ASUS website or in the manual.

 

Personally I think the parts are way overkill for almost anything today, but it will make one hell of a PC. 

 

As for building the PC. Honestly man it's super simple. Adult legos. Go watch a "How to build a PC" tutorial from LTT or Jay2Cents and you'll have all you need to know. You really CAN'T screw it up. The only thing that's arbitrary is the amount of thermal paste you put on the chip, and it's likely that your cooler already comes with stuff pre-applied so you don't even have to add any. 

 

Just make sure you plug everything in correctly (24 pin power, 4 or 8 pin CPU power, GPU 8 pin (or 2x8 pin) power. You don't need to hook everything up when you're trying to first start it. Don't worry about storage at first. Just put the power supply in, mobo in, 1 stick of memory in, cpu in, cpu cooler on, then try to start the computer and get into the bios. If that's all good, THEN worry about storage, cable management, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brob said:

How many systems do you plan to power with the psu?

 

You may need to update the BIOS. Check the motherboard. The i7-9700K needs BIOS 1704 which was released at the beginning of October 2018. If you do need to update the BIOS you are fortunate as the motherboard has the USB BIOS Flashback feature that allows updating the BIOS without a working cpu or memory.

 

See https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-CODE/HelpDesk_BIOS/ for the BIOS and https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1013998?SearchKey=usb bios flashback/ for instructions.

 

Haha I got a really good deal on the psu so I went for it. And that is awesome thank you for the usb bios tip that is really helpful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

you should ask before you bought it. there's no use suggesting a shopping guide right now.

i see so many fans and 2 ssd.

 

 

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There is one 2TB WD Black.

 

There's quite a bit I'd personally change here, but that's no good.

I'm just looking for build tips little tricks that can help. And I know went overkill on some stuff but I wanted to try and future proof it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

It is possible that your motherboard shipped with an updated BIOS and you won't have to update it. 

 

But if you do, there is a way to do it through USB. (You basically download the bios from the internet onto a blank USB, then restart and hold or tap certain keys, then choose the bios file on the USB.) But those instructions will either be on the ASUS website or in the manual.

 

Personally I think the parts are way overkill for almost anything today, but it will make one hell of a PC. 

 

As for building the PC. Honestly man it's super simple. Adult legos. Go watch a "How to build a PC" tutorial from LTT or Jay2Cents and you'll have all you need to know. You really CAN'T screw it up. The only thing that's arbitrary is the amount of thermal paste you put on the chip, and it's likely that your cooler already comes with stuff pre-applied so you don't even have to add any. 

 

Just make sure you plug everything in correctly (24 pin power, 4 or 8 pin CPU power, GPU 8 pin (or 2x8 pin) power. You don't need to hook everything up when you're trying to first start it. Don't worry about storage at first. Just put the power supply in, mobo in, 1 stick of memory in, cpu in, cpu cooler on, then try to start the computer and get into the bios. If that's all good, THEN worry about storage, cable management, etc. 

Thanks man, I've watched a decent amount of build videos now and I'm confident that I can pull it off. Getting the psu cables clean and organized is gonna be the hardest. But thanks for the tip about just starting off with one ssd's that will make things easier, Step by step style that's gonna help alot i bet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

goodluck

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×