Is it worth it to get 2TB HDD

I built my first pc a couple months ago, but have been using a 240GB SSD for all of my storage. But now for mass storage I want a hard drive, but where I live it is $20 more to upgrade from 1TB of storage to 2TB of storage. I'm mostly just going to be storing games, and basically no video or pictures, I've only ever used 600GB on any computer without ever deleting anything and probably installing things twice. Should I spend the extra $20 to get the extra storage?

If you can afford it, I don't see why not. Plus higher capacity drives can perform a little better than lower capacity ones due to having higher data density.

You can use it to store games when you aren't really playing them and keep the games you are playing on the SSD. Though for the most part, I don't find playing games on an HDD all that cringe worthy yet.

11 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

$20 more to upgrade from 1TB of storage to 2TB of storage. I'm mostly just going to be storing games, and basically no video or pictures

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

$20 more is nothing plus you get an extra TB!

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you can afford it, I don't see why not. Plus higher capacity drives can perform a little better than lower capacity ones due to having higher data density.

You can use it to store games when you aren't really playing them and keep the games you are playing on the SSD. Though for the most part, I don't find playing games on an HDD all that cringe worthy yet.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get the 2tb. Games and files will get fibber, and bigger hdds are faster than smaller ones.

Based on the difference in cost, I would suggest the 2TB drive as it would be harder to fill up completely and should be able to withstand larger data storage needs for the future. Computer software is getting more complex and is taking more storage and for the point of "future-proofing" it seems to be good in that standpoint as well. Depending on the model variant of the two models of drives which one being a 1TB and the other being a 2TB, the data transfer speed would be dependent although usually it is right for a larger drive to provide greater speeds while accessing it due to the data physically being closer on the platters and because they usually tend to have greater cashe and rarely drive RPM (again, this would all be dependent on the drive models being compared).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Partition into 3 or 4

Bad idea! Very bad idea!

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why use partitions? Folders are better for almost all uses here.

Exactly. The only time I have more than one partition on a driver is on the boot drive (System Reserved and C:/) or, if the drive is the only drive in the computer, such as in my notebooks, then I will have a couple more partitions (one for data and one for the factory recovery partition).

Using partitions to organize data is inefficient and does a poor job of allocating space for different kinds of data. Folders work far better since a folder will occupy only enough space for its contents, leaving the unused space available for other folders.

If the purpose of partitioning a large volume to minimize the amount of data that could be lost should something go wrong, first, usually if something like that happens, it usually will take out the entire drive. Second, if you make and maintain proper backups, you will not lose any data, no matter how large the volume is.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

19 hours ago, Darpyface said:

I built my first pc a couple months ago, but have been using a 240GB SSD for all of my storage. But now for mass storage I want a hard drive, but where I live it is $20 more to upgrade from 1TB of storage to 2TB of storage. I'm mostly just going to be storing games, and basically no video or pictures, I've only ever used 600GB on any computer without ever deleting anything and probably installing things twice. Should I spend the extra $20 to get the extra storage?

You may want to check why the drive is just $20 more.

Are the 1TB and the 2TB actually the same cache, speed and form factor?

If so sure go for the 2 TB.

If not -probably better to get two 1 TB of the same size.

They equal out to be the same data size anyway: 931+931=1862 which is 1.81TB or a 2 TB drive.

18 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Partition into 3 or 4

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why use partitions? Folders are better for almost all uses here.

Partitions also can increase read-head activity on mechanical hard drives.

Leading to more wear and tear on the hard drive.

Probably not an issue for SSD near in so much -alas I am not that fo

rayed into SSD's...

I will always follow the rule: 1DP -One Drive Partition.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

They are both Seagate Barracuda drives, they're the same hard drive just different storage sizes. And two 1TBs would cost $30 more and take up more SATA ports and Hard Drive bays.