Bottlenecking help

Mifyou

Would a MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z be bottlenecked by an i7-4790K? I'm asking because i recently upgraded my graphics card through warranty on an older faulty card and the performance increase isnt that great. It's supposed to be able to run like a 1080ti but barely runs like a 1070 or 980ti which is what i had before. 

A 4790k in no way should be slowing down a 2070 and if it is, it's in very few games or scenarios.
Have you completed uninstalled old drivers and reinstalled them? Changing out parts, even from a 1070 to a 2070 can cause some odd issues sometimes.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

A 4790k in no way should be slowing down a 2070 and if it is, it's in very few games or scenarios.
Have you completed uninstalled old drivers and reinstalled them? Changing out parts, even from a 1070 to a 2070 can cause some odd issues sometimes.

I asked around and people told me i shouldnt need to uninstall and reinstall drivers, i have all the new updates but theyre still the drivers from when i had my 980ti like 3 weeks ago. The driver version is 417.1 and such. The reason im asking is because im barely hitting 144hz 1080p on PUBG and get rapid frame drops to 30FPS on battlefield V on medium settings and raytracing off. 

How do i go about reinstalling the drivers?

isnt the 2070 only about on par with the 1080 non TI?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

isnt the 2070 only about on par with the 1080 non TI?

it's practically between the two, but since the one i have is overclocked by stock i would say its as good preforming as a 1080ti

Just now, Mifyou said:

it's practically between the two, but since the one i have is overclocked by stock i would say its as good preforming as a 1080ti

factory overclocked or even overclocked over that 2070s arent reaching the 1080ti in most games, dont expect 1080ti performance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

factory overclocked or even overclocked over that 2070s arent reaching the 1080ti in most games, dont expect 1080ti performance

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Would you say it's wise upgrading my monitor to a 1440p 144hz with this graphics card or is that a bad descision? what type of performance drop would i expect from upgrading the resolution? 

2 minutes ago, Mifyou said:

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Would you say it's wise upgrading my monitor to a 1440p 144hz with this graphics card or is that a bad descision? what type of performance drop would i expect from upgrading the resolution? 

im running my 1080 at 2.1GHz which should be similar to a 2070 and its great for 1440p, but i dont think you will be reaching 144fps at 1440p in more than esports games unless you tune down settings. I like the extra resolution but i only play at 75Hz myself. really depends on what games you play, if you like fast shooters like CS:GO then you wont have a problem but if its more for scenic games i wouldnt bother paying for 144hz and put that money towards getting a good IPS panel instead

Builds:

Spoiler

2070s are much closer to 1080 performance, a bit above, factory OC or not. You could definitely play 1440p 144Hz. You won’t be able to play on ultra, but medium-high should be achievable in most games (esports type games will be even easier to run). Also, no one gets 144 FPS in PUBG, it’s just how the game is lol

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

2070s are much closer to 1080 performance, a bit above, factory OC or not. You could definitely play 1440p 144Hz. You won’t be able to play on ultra, but medium-high should be achievable in most games (esports type games will be even easier to run). Also, no one gets 144 FPS in PUBG, it’s just how the game is lol

friend of mine is running pubg at 300fps with 1080ti SLI, another one is running 180fps on a single 1080ti, both of them are on a 1440p monitor. im just asking because i really have no idea about these things. 

Just now, Mifyou said:

friend of mine is running pubg at 300fps with 1080ti SLI, another one is running 180fps on a single 1080ti, both of them are on a 1440p monitor. im just asking because i really have no idea about these things. 

i do realize i shouldnt compare it with a 1080ti now but just as reference. 

Just now, Mifyou said:

300fps   180fps

I doubt the human eyeball would even notice a difference between the two, let alone 120fps

just to add here, there are two different 2070 chips. one overclocks better, has better thermals and is better binned in general.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

I doubt the human eyeball would even notice a difference between the two, let alone 120fps

those two maybe not, but i do notice a difference between 144fps and 120fps within a few secounds. 

14 minutes ago, Mifyou said:

those two maybe not, but i do notice a difference between 144fps and 120fps within a few secounds. 

Only if you use a 144Hz monitor without gsync, because since i have gsync everything looks and feels as smooth as 144fps although my 1080 can only push abou 70-80 in BFV at 1440p