Which Dremel bit to use?

Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,
39 minutes ago, fpo said:

Use this: 

I love Ryobi's 18v power tools and have a huge stable full of them (although I now recommend Ridgid for people just starting out with 18v tools). However, the Ryobi 18v jigsaw sucks! The chuck on them won't hold the blades straight, which means crooked cuts, especially when using a fence. Get a 120v Milwaukee, Ridgid, Makita, or Dewalt instead (if that's the only tool you buy).

Seriously, you will be wasting your time (and money since you will destroy wood and wheels on wood) using a Dremel for cutting wood. If you want to work with wood, you need woodworking tools. Would you try to cut a cake with scissors?

If you can afford only one saw, get a jigsaw. It is the most versatile tool for cutting wood. You will also need a drill. Again, if all you are going to get are the saw and the drill, especially if you won't use them much after this project, get 120v so you won't have to spend money for batteries and a charger. 18v tools are great but not cost effective unless you have a lot of them (like I do).

I minored in Industrial Arts Education in college and have worked in several cabinet shops (and a machine shop) so I know what I am talking about. You need the correct tools to the job correctly.

So Ive gotten a dremel and I loveeeee modding comps with it, however Im going a step further and making a custom wood case and I need my dremel to use as I lack tools much better. Ive only got two types of blade thinies: one says its for plastic and the other metal. Should I try using th eone for metal one wood or will they both be garbo?

Ive got these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-EZ-Lock-11-1-2-in-Fiber-Cut-off-Wheel-Set/3085917

Those wheels will be slow cutting in wood and will burn the wood where it is being cut. Even though it won't be cheap, invest in proper wood cutting tools.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

What’s a comp? 

Why don’t you get a wood tool like a saw to cut wood like everyone else? XD

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

What’s a comp? 

Why don’t you get a wood tool like a saw to cut wood like everyone else? XD

Im not very good at cutting reallly straight lines with it, so Im gonna use the dremel to do a shallow cut first. Also Im working with really sucky wood that rips apart if I use an average saw to power through it

comp=computer

15 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Those wheels will be slow cutting in wood and will burn the wood where it is being cut. Even though it won't be cheap, invest in proper wood cutting tools.

Dern...okie

1 minute ago, ThatBlockishWay said:

Im not very good at cutting reallly straight lines with it, so Im gonna use the dremel to do a shallow cut first. Also Im working with really sucky wood that rips apart if I use an average saw to power through it

comp=computer

Use this: 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Use this: 

Kinda hard to when all Ive got is a bad handsaw and this dremel, Ill make it work...

39 minutes ago, fpo said:

Use this: 

I love Ryobi's 18v power tools and have a huge stable full of them (although I now recommend Ridgid for people just starting out with 18v tools). However, the Ryobi 18v jigsaw sucks! The chuck on them won't hold the blades straight, which means crooked cuts, especially when using a fence. Get a 120v Milwaukee, Ridgid, Makita, or Dewalt instead (if that's the only tool you buy).

Seriously, you will be wasting your time (and money since you will destroy wood and wheels on wood) using a Dremel for cutting wood. If you want to work with wood, you need woodworking tools. Would you try to cut a cake with scissors?

If you can afford only one saw, get a jigsaw. It is the most versatile tool for cutting wood. You will also need a drill. Again, if all you are going to get are the saw and the drill, especially if you won't use them much after this project, get 120v so you won't have to spend money for batteries and a charger. 18v tools are great but not cost effective unless you have a lot of them (like I do).

I minored in Industrial Arts Education in college and have worked in several cabinet shops (and a machine shop) so I know what I am talking about. You need the correct tools to the job correctly.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I use the 561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit for wood.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"