Looking for suggestions before purchasing

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice on my first PC build, before I go ahead with purchasing all my components.

The aim of this build is to be a great video editing and animation machine. I hope to do gaming with it, but nothing AAA.

Notes:

I'm aware there is plenty of features on my motherboard that I won't be using (M.2, 4x PCIe), I would gladly take any suggestions on cheaper alternatives. 

The main dilemma I'm faced with at the moment is whether or not to purchase a RTX 2070 instead of a GTX 1080. Hopefully you guys can help!

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X399-A EATX TR4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

SSD: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card

Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 900 (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

If you're a professional animator, are you planning to render anything in RTX? If so, and RTX card might actually not be a bad idea. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

If you're a professional animator, are you planning to render anything in RTX? If so, and RTX card might actually not be a bad idea. 

Nothing in a professional setting currently. It will be mainly used for doing motion graphics and basic 3D modeling. On top of that, video editing in the Adobe Suite.

What specific applications? Depending on what you're using TR may not be the best choice (Adobe, for example, doesn't make great use of the extra cores and may actually prefer Intel CPUs due to iGPU acceleration)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

What specific applications? Depending on what you're using TR may not be the best choice (Adobe, for example, doesn't make great use of the extra cores and may actually prefer Intel CPUs due to iGPU acceleration)

Specific applications include Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator and Audacity. I have dabbled in Blender but it's not a priority for this build.

The reason I went for TR initially was due to this article where it benchmarks Premiere Pro with both Intel and AMD CPUs.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

I realized the benchmark results show that an Intel CPU is vastly superior in some cases, however it's out of my price range unless I were to bring the cost of another component down. I have been looking into a cheaper case, as I realize the one I've chosen is $180 CAD. 

What CPU is comparable to that of the AMD 1950x in the Intel line-up at roughly the same price range?

19 minutes ago, MrGP said:

Specific applications include Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator and Audacity. I have dabbled in Blender but it's not a priority for this build.

The reason I went for TR initially was due to this article where it benchmarks Premiere Pro against similarly priced Intel CPU.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

I realized the benchmark results show that an Intel CPU is vastly superior in some cases, however it's out of my price range unless I were to bring the cost of another component down. I have been looking into a cheaper case, as I realize the one I've chosen is $180 CAD. 

What CPU is comparable to that of the AMD 1950x in the Intel line-up at roughly the same price range?

If you enable iGPU acceleration with something like an 8700k or 9700k it performs similarily to the 1950x in many cases while being a lot cheaper.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3310-adobe-premiere-benchmarks-rendering-8700k-gpu-vs-ryzen

EDIT: Sorry accidentally hit submit a little too early, I wanted to add that there is a slight loss in quality but it's a very small difference. You can take a look for yourself here

Also for comparison in other applications, here's 8700k vs 2950x

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-2990wx-cpu,5797-7.html

As you can see, it does depend somewhat... Illustrator and Photoshop tend to do a bit better on Intel CPUs, whereas after affects does better on TR.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If you enable iGPU acceleration with something like an 8700k or 9700k it performs similarily to the 1950x in many cases while being a lot cheaper.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3310-adobe-premiere-benchmarks-rendering-8700k-gpu-vs-ryzen

I do see that, thank you for showing me this. Are you aware if Intel CPUs fare better on other Adobe programs such as After effects, Photoshop or Illustrator? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't processor threads responsible for multi-tasking on computers? In my case, I tend to have numerous Adobe programs open at the same time, are you aware if an 8700k will have a significant effect on my capabilities to do this, due to the 12 thread count. (8 on 9700k) Seeing as the 1950x is has a 32 thread count, I would imagine it would be able to handle these tasks better. (Excuse my lack of knowledge)

I feel I should also note, I'm not editing 4k or RED footage. For the time being, I am doing 1080p60. I want the ability to do 4k but not right away.

10 minutes ago, MrGP said:

I do see that, thank you for showing me this. Are you aware if Intel CPUs fare better on other Adobe programs such as After effects, Photoshop or Illustrator? 

See my edit ? I accidentally hit submit too early so I didn't include the other stuff in my original post.

11 minutes ago, MrGP said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't processor threads responsible for multi-tasking on computers? In my case, I tend to have numerous Adobe programs open at the same time, are you aware if an 8700k will have a significant effect on my capabilities to do this, due to the 12 thread count. (8 on 9700k) Seeing as the 1950x is has a 32 thread count, I would imagine it would be able to handle these tasks better. (Excuse my lack of knowledge)

No you're totally right. If you tend to have a lot of things running at the same time all doing work a 1950x could be a better option. Rendering, say, in premiere would be less likely to have a large performance impact if you're also using illustrator at the same time.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, MrGP said:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice on my first PC build, before I go ahead with purchasing all my components.

The aim of this build is to be a great video editing and animation machine. I hope to do gaming with it, but nothing AAA.

Notes:

I'm aware there is plenty of features on my motherboard that I won't be using (M.2, 4x PCIe), I would gladly take any suggestions on cheaper alternatives. 

The main dilemma I'm faced with at the moment is whether or not to purchase a RTX 2070 instead of a GTX 1080. Hopefully you guys can help!

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X399-A EATX TR4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

SSD: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

HDD: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card

Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 900 (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

you might want to get a larger hard drive and a 16/32 optane module. It seems like as an animator you would be storing a lot of files. The optane will also speed up your HDD a lot. Also, your 650w PSU won't be enough if you are pushing your CPU and GPU to the limit. If not, you may want to consider downgrading your CPU or GPU.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

See my edit ? I accidentally hit submit too early so I didn't include the other stuff in my original post.

No you're totally right. If you tend to have a lot of things running at the same time all doing work a 1950x could be a better option. Rendering, say, in premiere would be less likely to have a large performance impact if you're also using illustrator at the same time.

Saw the edit after I posted. ?

Thank you very much for the clarifications and help with this topic. As I mentioned it's my first computer build and I'm really enjoying learning about all these technologies.

6 minutes ago, benjl said:

you might want to get a larger hard drive and a 16/32 optane module. It seems like as an animator you would be storing a lot of files. The optane will also speed up your HDD a lot. Also, your 650w PSU won't be enough if you are pushing your CPU and GPU to the limit. If not, you may want to consider downgrading your CPU or GPU.

A larger hard drive is a good suggestion and so is the optane module. I've pondered going with Intel; if that is what I chose to do, I will certainly look into getting Optane. As it stands right now, the ASUS PRIME X399-A is what I've chosen, and it's not compatible with such a component. Although the concept is interesting which will make me look into it as an upgrade down the road. 

For the PSU, I will certainly upgrade it to the 750W version, same brand.

4 minutes ago, MrGP said:

Saw the edit after I posted. ?

Thank you very much for the clarifications and help with this topic. As I mentioned it's my first computer build and I'm really enjoying learning about all these technologies.

A larger hard drive is a good suggestion and so is the optane module. I've pondered going with Intel; if that is what I chose to do, I will certainly look into getting Optane. As it stands right now, the ASUS PRIME X399-A is what I've chosen, and it's not compatible with such a component. Although the concept is interesting which will make me look into it as an upgrade down the road. 

For the PSU, I will certainly upgrade it to the 750W version, same brand.

I totally forgot about the ryzen part. Optane won't work.