Looking for a 15” all-rounder

max.ine

Hey guys...

I’ll be moving to another country in the next few months, so I’m looking to get a laptop that can replace my PC, which is now a bit overkill regardless. At first I was considering buying an XPS 15 9570 or similar, but to be honest, I don’t think it’s worth the price here (Canada). I’d prefer to get something around or under $1500 CAD if possible, but that may be asking too much. 

My only requirements are 16GB RAM (preferably DDR4), a higher-end 8th gen Intel processor or AMD equivalent, and at least an MX150 or its AMD equivalent. I’ll also need a 15” laptop and decent keyboard, since my hands are big and I do a lot of typing. Weight isn’t important. I can settle for 13-14” if the tradeoffs are good and the keyboard is the same size. 

I do very light graphics work which usually involves working with videos or images. The CPU is slightly more important than the GPU for me. A color-accurate display would be a bonus. 

Truth be told, this perfectly fits the bill, but I’m not looking for a “gaming” laptop and would prefer something a bit less ugly: https://www.costco.ca/Dell-G3-15-Gaming-Laptop%2C-i7-8750H.product.100431369.html (its specs are honestly ideal, though.)

Am I asking too much here? Should I go with the G3?

36 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

I was just looking at this laptop, but then I realized that the US price was lower, even after conversion. So here is another one that's closer to your price point. It's still a bit high, so I'll keep on going, but these are just for some ideas.

Thanks! Even if it’s slightly over my budget, I do like the 2-in-1 factor. It’s worth noting that I probably won’t be buying for at least another month, so prices may go down by then, seeing as it’s near the end of some laptop cycles. 

I’ve also found the ASUS UX533FD offers fairly good specs around my price point, but it seems a bit hard to find reviews on it. This Aspire 7 also seems to fit the bill. Anyone know anything about these? I’m a bit out of the loop on the laptop scene since I haven’t owned one since 2013. 

Both of those look nice. Since Macbooks have gotten more expensive over the years, they aren't great value anymore unless you need MacOS to do your work. The Aspire 7 that you listed also seems like it could handle pretty much any game at high settings, 1080p60.

Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

11 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred max weight and min battery life?

No max weight, battery life 4 hours+ maybe?

The Omen 15t is also good and has excessive graphical capability and could run lots of games while maintaining your expectations.

Lenovo Thinkpad P52 (I know it's a mobile workstation and it's overkill)

Lenovo Legion Y530 customize - with 1050TI+144Hz IPS

Asus GL703GE - keyboard nothing special

Asus GL503GE - keyboard nothing special

HP Omen 15 dc - low sRGB 60Hz IPS

Upgrade RAM/storage by yourself (if possible) since it's usually cheaper

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128