Loud noise when startup, think it is my HDD.

lavablade02

It sounds like a vacuum in the other room. Will post a video later of the noise, took a video but my phone died.

It could be fans or something else, but I'm worried about it being the HDD because windows was very unresponsive when it booted.

Edit: Chrome just went unresponsive for about 20 seconds when watching the stream from today's vod and uninstalling a program.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

If Windows is unresponsive on boot and it sounds really loud then I'm 50% sure it's failing. Back up your data to an external HDD and get a new HDD. 

But first you should follow @Electronics Wizardy's advice. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try stopping the fans to see if the noise stops.

What does the smart data say about the drive?

Dont have smart, is there a free version of it?

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

2 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

Dont have smart, is there a free version of it?

CrystalDiskInfo64 is pretty easy to use. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

43 minutes ago, 1kv said:

If Windows is unresponsive on boot and it sounds really loud then I'm 50% sure it's failing. Back up your data to an external HDD and get a new HDD. 

But first you should follow @Electronics Wizardy's advice. 

I just primed a new drive. Mine is old and reasonably slow to begin with (vs a barracuda) and it will help with an ssd migration I believe

edit: it was a case fan spinning super fast