Best Digital photo container

Altruist

The only two containers im aware of png and jpeg really.

I'd like which is better, but you if know others let me know :D

I may be wrong.

There is a reason on why both are in use today. They both have their plusses and minuses. I suggest watching the teckquickie jpeg vs png episode for a quick insight into the world of image compression.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

PNG is lossless,  JPG is lossy (but you get reduced file size)

JPG is ancient, and only supports some ways of representing color of each pixel... isn't really designed for more than 8 bits per color, so nowadays with camera sensors that can record in 10bit and with support for HDR and all that, it's more and more less recommended.

This being said, i'm not fond of Apple's idea of shoving a HEVC derived image format into users, the HEIF format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

PNG is versatile enough of a container that everything HEIF does could be implemented in png... but only updated image viewers would be able to decode these PNG v2.0 images (older viewers would still read the png files without problems but show a blank image or something like that)

Every format is for different type of image. If you want to publish logo on internet and don't care about 8-bit transparency, you can use GIF - smaller size, loseless, only number of colors limited (indexed colors mode only, up to 256). If you want to keep logo or any clear image without lose quality and with full 8-bit transparency - PNG is for you. If you want to print something professional - TIFF will be good format for you (you can even keep layers inside and save CMYK loseless). If you want to mix every graphics - PDF is that type of container that may have PNG, vector and JPG inside together. If you want to save your photos (like photo album) - JPEG is format designed for it. And it's basically only for photos and sometimes previews of projects with very complex graphics inside (like screenshot of a website with photos). There are many format - do not choose just one, use the best you need at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the content. 

NewEgg Community Moderator since 2007.

My cameras save photos to .jpg so I'm kinda stuck with that mostly. I have started saving multi-image documents as multipage .tif images instead of .pdf since PDFs can't be tagged.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!