What is hyperthreading

rekt1

Hi, so i am gonna build a pc wotht he new intel 9th gen. I am thinking about the new i7 9700k till i heard that there was no hyperthreading. I would like to know what hyperthreading does as i will only be using the machine for gaming. Pls let me know if hyperthreading is needed thanks ;)

You don't need it but HT better utilizes the cores. Think of the core as a mouth and hyperthreading allowing 2 hands to feed the mouth instead of 1 hand. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, rekt1 said:

Hi, so i am gonna build a pc wotht he new intel 9th gen. I am thinking about the new i7 9700k till i heard that there was no hyperthreading. I would like to know what hyperthreading does as i will only be using the machine for gaming. Pls let me know if hyperthreading is needed thanks ;)

basically...huge bowl of noodles to eat in front of you (CPU load/heavy code to process)...9700K has 8 mouths with 1 fork for each mouth...meanwhile 9900K has 8 mouths as well, BUT with 2 forks to fead each mouth...how fast can you chew down all the noodles?

EDIT: SRy for spitting out the same infos here i didn't read the whole thing bellow the video... :(

RESUME

It's not ''needed'' but if you plan to keep the PC for high-end gaming..say for 3 to 5 years and plan to do multiple GPU upgrades and stuff...might be worth it depending on how much you value the extra money you spend...it certainly makes it a noticeably more capable CPU...to my eyes at least.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

basically...huge bowl of noodles to eat in front of you (CPU load/heavy code to process)...9700K has 8 mouths with 1 fork for each mouth...meanwhile 9900K has 8 mouths as well, BUT with 2 forks to fead each mouth...how fast can you chew down all the noodles?

EDIT: SRy for spitting out the same infos here i didn't read the whole thing bellow the video... :(

RESUME

It's not ''needed'' but if you plan to keep the PC for high-end gaming..say for 3 to 5 years and plan to do multiple GPU upgrades and stuff...might be worth it depending on how much you value the extra money you spend...it certainly makes it a noticeably more capable CPU...to my eyes at least.

so it basically it makes it more efficient...