Cube PC concept design

Aprime

Cube is a modular desktop PC case that safeguards your motherboards while making it easy to customize and upgrade. The model features two variations, “Slim” and “Bold,” that are built to house the Intel NUC board computer and full-size ATX motherboards respectively. Using standard components, it’s also easy to upgrade. The minimalist, monolithic shell features a frosted exterior that allows the inner workings to peek through. As an added bonus, a wireless charging lid allows users to simultaneously charge their phone simply by placing it on the top surface.

cube_02

http://www.yankodesign.com/2018/10/17/an-all-new-cube-computer/

By Lorenzo Mariotti

Just makes me want fogged plastic/glass anything to come back.

It's too bad the IO's not exposed, lol.

I imagine I could always put a diffusion film on my side panels.

Whoever designed this clearly doesn't know how GPU's work. I get that it's only a design, but basing everything from the renders, the GPU ports would be sticking out from the top completely muddying the "clean, minimalistic" look it's going for.

And then there is the issue with airflow.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s

the wireless charging lid is a nice touch, but I agree with @Dissitesuxba11s. Every trashcan PC is just a more expensive mini itx case with more issues

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Do you... do you not know how PC's work?  Where's the power supply?  GPU?  IO plate?  Cooling?  And most importantly, Where's the RGB?!

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So... everything magically comes out of one cable or something?

That aside, the frosted look is the only thing I like. Everything else screams of "I don't know how PCs are actually built"

I mean yeah let's just put everything through one USB C cable.

Design studies are always ruined if you know anything about the industry they're suggested for. A good case of that that has resurfaced recently was the "iPlane" concept.

But the fogged transparent material is really was tickled my fancy since it's doable and rather fashionable so long as it's done properly.

1 minute ago, Aprime said:

Even then it's limited to 100W. So I guess there goes my dream of putting a Core i9-9900K and a RTX 2080 Ti in this thing.

1 minute ago, Aprime said:

Design studies are always ruined if you know anything about the industry they're suggested for. A good case of that that has resurfaced recently was the "iPlane" concept.

Which is kind of why I don't really like these sorts of things. It's great if you want to build a prop for a movie or whatever, but that's about it.

31 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Whoever designed this clearly doesn't know how GPU's work. I get that it's only a design, but basing everything from the renders, the GPU ports would be sticking out from the top completely muddying the "clean, minimalistic" look it's going for.

And then there is the issue with airflow.

for airflow, with a shroud a re fence card will do fine here, but I'm not sure if the bottom is also supposed to have an air gap, that one onthe back is not big enough. The connectors I noticed too, but it seems theres no wires inside the design, perhaps to oversell how clean it looks. There are right angle connectors, there's also the possibility of running it over the intel frame buffer like you would with an egpu on a laptop (kind of like optimus), which would be just...terrible. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Aprime said:

But the fogged transparent material is really was tickled my fancy since it's doable and rather fashionable so long as it's done properly.

EVGA%201.png

I wish EVGA would have gone that route instead of the "smoke" tint. That w/ some LEDs  to give the card a soft, diffused glow would have been killer. And getting rid of the ridiculous E pattern on the fans.

5 hours ago, King Poet said:

I wish EVGA would have gone that route instead of the "smoke" tint. That w/ some LEDs  to give the card a soft, diffused glow would have been killer. And getting rid of the ridiculous E pattern on the fans.

I know this is so close to absolutely sick. As it is might as well stick blue leds in and put it into my 2005 all acrylic build. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I know this is so close to absolutely sick. As it is might as well stick blue leds in and put it into my 2005 all acrylic build. 

Yup! They were almost there. Just goes to show, only takes one misstep to ruin something.

4 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Personally, get rid of the plastic/glass enclosure and expose everything like this build:

Quick pic for the lazy:

Reveal hidden contents

tn_img_7322e9shg.jpg

not gonna lie, that's pretty ugly

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

i see the design being doable, but it really needs a lot more airflow. 

also restricting wattage to use small PSUs like SFX and dissasemble them. 

can perhaps work with 2 140mm fans with a constant aiflow through the case.

2 140mm/120mm radiators for cooling.

itx boards with perhaps a Nano Vega or some other very small formfactor card. 

it is very hard to do such a build without either cannibilizing the design or cooking components

edit: though it was custom design and a whole lot smaller. 

Edited by GoldenLag