Fan Wiring Question

mgrinspan

Hi! Quick question; My motherboard has 2 fan headers (aside from the CPU fan header) and I have 4 fans, is it better to use splitters and connect fans to the motherboard, or to connect them directly to the power supply? Thanks!

Motherboard in question: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144197

Fans in question: https://www.amzn.com/B072BWNGYV

Splitters work fine, the two fans run at whatever speed you set that fan header to. Straight to the power supply will make them run at 100% all the time, which can get a little noisy but is otherwise fine as well

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Splitters are fine.

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Splitters work fine, the two fans run at whatever speed you set that fan header to. Straight to the power supply will make them run at 100% all the time, which can get a little noisy but is otherwise fine as well

I've read people saying that I should check the voltages of the motherboard headers and the fans to make sure the motherboard can handle it, is that necessary? I can't seem to find this info.

1 minute ago, mgrinspan said:

I've read people saying that I should check the voltages of the motherboard headers and the fans to make sure the motherboard can handle it, is that necessary? I can't seem to find this info.

Voltage doesn't really matter, it's the current. I can't find any hard numbers but I don't imagine two fans drawing so much current that'll it burn something out.

13 hours ago, mgrinspan said:

Not voltages. All headers will deliver 12V unless otherwise stated. Its amps you need to watch out. Header is 1A max (unless otherwise stated, sometimes there are 2A or 3A headers for water coolers). Fans use 0.05-0.5A each. This is said in fans specs. The way counting amps works is that you combine all amps from fans as one for header they are connected to. Usually you can have 2-4 fans per header without issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I usually stick with 2 max to play it safe, fans under load from dirt and restricted flow can draw more...... i tested this quiet some years back when i noticed some large piggy backed fans i stuck in a modded case wern't spinning up to full speed...  Fans today are a lot more efficient.