What PSU do I neee?

capsock
Go to solution Solved by lmeneses,

450w should be fine, but it will be cutting it close. If you wanted to purchase a new one, I would get 550w 

35 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You want a quieter unit.

Why not just reduce the fanspeed and put a good quality fan with low motor noise in it?

No fan is quieter than.... no fan. (Yes, that's awkwardly phrased but poetically so, please don't pretend not to understand what I mean there.)  It really comes down to that. You can nitpick here if you want, but that's all you'd be doing because you aren't going to convince me that I'm having a problem I don't have or need a different solution to a problem I don't have. If you don't want that feature, don't pay up for it, or hell, actively avoid it for all I care.

51 minutes ago, Electric_Eclectic said:

You could have tons more examples of poor implementations of an idea, and it doesn't mean the idea isn't worth pursuing.

I could find literally 100 examples of poorly implemented cryptography that made that implementation insecure, but I don't think YOU would stop insisting that any internet bank you used was using crypto. Follow me?

You say that's apples to oranges, and I'm sticking with that being apples to apples. You provided an example, and then another, where you say there are bad implementations of the idea as if ANY NUMBER of examples of a bad implementation of an idea prove the idea is unworkable. My example illustrated why that logic is flawed. Maybe it's possible to prove the idea is inherently unworkable - but you'll never do that by showing examples of flawed implementations.

You're right that the temperature to load curves will be higher at the lower loads when the fan is not running on my PSU, and YES that could shorten the lifespan of a component vs. having a fan running 100% of the time. And YES I'll take that tradeoff any day of the week on a quality PSU and trust that it'll still last longer than my PC replacement cycle. Which, unless it dies before the end of the year, it has in my anecdotal case. Quietly. For 6 or 7 years. I'll take your word that there's no "always on" fan switch in mine, because I've no desire to push it anyway.

I have a feeling you're going to yell into the ether about something no matter what I say, so go ahead and try to convince someone else reading this that it's not possible to do semi-fanless well. Maybe someone else will be swayed, but my own experience will rule my judgement, and I've yet to experience a problem, hear a theoretical problem with it that has no possible solution, or identify a risk that isn't outweighed by a benefit given my priorities and willingness to pay a fair price to meet them.

12 hours ago, Electric_Eclectic said:

No fan is quieter than.... no fan.

You never heard a good quality fan at low RPM, have you?!

What does it matter if a fan is already so quiet that you can't hear it?!
And the Electronics of the PSU is louder anyway...

So does it really matter to switch off the fan when you already can't hear the fan anyway?? I doubt  it...

12 hours ago, Electric_Eclectic said:

You can nitpick here if you want, but that's all you'd be doing because you aren't going to convince me that I'm having a problem I don't have or need a different solution to a problem I don't have. If you don't want that feature, don't pay up for it, or hell, actively avoid it for all I care.

Why so angry when I showed you that Semi Fanless has some serious disadvantages or even Problems?

Especially since the first Semi Fanless implementations were over 10 years ago!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/19/2018 at 8:30 AM, Stefan Payne said:

N

On 10/19/2018 at 10:29 AM, jonnyGURU said:

I

you guys should do a sticky post explaining all those misconceptions that people blindly believe.

"bigger psu is quieter" "bigger psu is more efficient" "bigger psu will last longer" "get a reputable brand"

I know not everyone is going to read it but you can be sure someone will and that will save us some work

On 10/20/2018 at 7:32 AM, Stefan Payne said:

You never heard a good quality fan at low RPM, have you?!

What does it matter if a fan is already so quiet that you can't hear it?!

Yes.  I have.  But the point still remains:  A fan that isn't moving, isn't receiving power, etc. is ALWAYS quieter than ANYTHING that's moving air.

But I do agree that there are some poorly implemented fans out there.  Even at low RPM, you can hear the fan motor never mind the air noise.  And PSU PCB layout leaves a lot to be desired.  Engineers are lazy... or rather, are constrained by tight budgets and consumers that refuse to pay a little more for a better product.