Bought new power supply to fix booting problem but PC still isn’t booting properly

Zedrux

In my previous post, I was suggested by numerous people (and from PC technicians that I know personally) to get a new power supply to fix my booting problem. I just put in a new EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750w PSU to replace my Thermaltake SMART 700w PSU. The PC still does the same thing. It won’t turn on properly without having to press the restart button. Instead of normally hearing a beep noise when it turns on, everything runs inside the PC and I hear a buzz noise coming from the interior instead of a beep when booted. So what is the problem now?

CPU: intel i7-4790 Quad Core @ 3.6 gHz

GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 3GB OC EDITION

RAM: 2x8 GB HyperX Chips (DDR3 @ 1333 MHz)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750w

Motherboard: ASUS H97M-E [CSM] Motherboard

Feel free to post specs

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Zedrux said:

2x8 GB 

Have you tried with one ram dimm?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Zedrux said:

In my previous post, I was suggested by numerous people (and from PC technicians that I know personally) to get a new power supply to fix my booting problem. I just put in a new EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750w PSU to replace my Thermaltake SMART 700w PSU. The PC still does the same thing. It won’t turn on properly without having to press the restart button. Instead of normally hearing a beep noise when it turns on, everything runs inside the PC and I hear a buzz noise coming from the interior instead of a beep when booted. So what is the problem now?

CPU: intel i7-4790 Quad Core @ 3.6 gHz

GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 3GB OC EDITION

RAM: 2x8 GB HyperX Chips (DDR3 @ 1333 MHz)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750w

Pull everything out of the case.

Attach only bare minimum needed to POST (not boot, just POST) place on telephone book, or equivalent.

Power on, see what happens. Report back.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just read your original thread for the first time:  

Sorry I missed it first time around as I only go to the PSU sub-forum, but that does NOT sound like a PSU issue.  That sounds like a motherboard issue.

I come back 2 months later and whenever I try to boot it, the fans start running but the occasional beep sound that I get does not play. When I turn the monitor on it displays a gray screen saying "DVI-D No Signal" and then the screen turns off but the PC fans are still running. The only way I know how to temporarily fix it and have it boot completely is to hold down the restart button (next to the power on/off button). I tried turning off the power supply and then turning it back on and trying to boot it, but a message will appear saying that there was a power supply surge and brings me to the BIOs screen. Everything looks fine on the menu. Both fans running and CPU/motherboard temps are fine. What is wrong with my PC?

The error message for "Power surge detected boot failure" or whatever it is is just a generic error message that Asus motherboards display whenever they don't shut down or boot properly. If you repeatedly power on/off the system when its trying to boot, the system will detect it as a failed boot attempt and display that generic warning message and take you to the BIOS.
It's most likely not a PSU issue.

If you're not getting a display on the monitor but the fans are still running, it probably more likely to be a GPU, monitor, or motherboard issue.

• Are you connecting the monitor to the graphics card outputs or the motherboard outputs (integrated graphics)?
  • Try booting without the graphics card installed and just the integrated graphics with the monitor plugged in to the motherboard.
  • Do you have another monitor you could test with?
  • Is your monitor set to the correct display input? (Most monitors have more than one input, such as HDMI + DVI + DP and often require you to select which input to test from, or select "Auto" mode where it will scan through the inputs until it finds a signal. If it's set to the wrong input it might show the no signal message on your monitor and then try to scan through other inputs till it finds the signal from your PC, or not show a signal at all)
  • Do you have another DVI or HDMI cable to test with?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450