XPS or other laptops?

wizani

I am looking to buy a new laptop with graphic design (Photoshop, Illustration, AE,Cinema 4D) and video editing being my primary purposes for it (a few games here and there on medium settings as well) and have been eyeing the XPS for a while. My budget is enough to buy the XPS with following specs:
15.6-inch FHD with Intel Core i5-7300HQ, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

or should I go for other laptops such as:
1. HP Pavilion 15.6" FHD display, i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, 4 GB NVIDIA GTX 1050 
2. Dell Inspiron 7567, 15.6" FHD display, Intel Core i5 7300HQ, NVIDIA GTX1050Ti, 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
3. Dell Inspiron 5570 15.6'' FHD display, i7 8th Gen, 8/16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 4GB Graphics AMD 530 Series 

I was eyeing XPS for it's superior screen and longer battery life but all those laptops have different configurations that are appealing (and that for a slightly lower price point). 
Any suggestions as to which one would be the best purchase?

That Inspiron with the 530 isn't going to be playing much of anything. Lol

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That Inspiron with the 530 isn't going to be playing much of anything. Lol

Yeah it has the least powerful graphics card  but it does have a 8th gen processor (be it a U-processor) and more RAM (16 GB compared to 8GB) option so I wondering if it was worth considering it as my primary purpose will always be graphic design?

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I am from the teeny tiny country of Nepal, and I can push my budget to about 1100 USD which includes the massive import taxes here (bear in mind the same xps 15 9560 model would cost considerably less outside Nepal). I'd like the laptop to be portable (so max 2-2.5 kg weight I guess). And I'd like the battery life to be 5-6 hrs+. So the XPS was the option I was looking at for a long time even though it has 7th gen i5 processor.

50 minutes ago, wizani said:

Nepal

Any links of local online stores? Or you wanted to buy from other country like US?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Any links of local online stores? Or you wanted to buy from other country like US?

Nah, I am currently looking to buy here in Nepal as buying online from another location from Nepal is nigh impossible (you have to be physically there or have someone there). Some of the few online stores: One Two Three Four

Out of the models you listed that pavilion is very meh. runs a tad hot, keyboard backlight is 1 color either white or green depending on the series. Screen was very tolerable. Build quality very average. Relatively clunky. Ssd upgrade is relatively easy.

The 5570 I personally didn't like. The screen was horrible. Everything else about it was okay.

If you can get acer the nitro 5 would be an option that is usually around that same budget. If you go with the nitro make sure you get the ssd you want from the factory. The 2.5 bay is super easy to get to. The m.2 not nearly as easy.

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

If you can get acer the nitro 5 would be an option that is usually around that same budget.

Is Acer Predator Helios 300 with i7-7700HQ with 6B GTX 1060 a better option than Nitro 5 i5-8300H with 4 GB GTX 1050ti? The 8th gen i5 on Nitro 5 seems the better CPU but Helios has the better the GPU, damn. And gotta sacrifice portability for these machines and some screen quality in terms of color representation  and battery life compared to XPS. What a pickle.

I honestly haven't touched the helios. Specs are slightly better, I've heard it runs on the hot side.

To be fair the nitro 5 is supposed to run hot too, but that has not been my experience.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:11 PM, wizani said:

1100 USD

Can convert to your currency?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

If you are a professional yes.

But in my case che color profile was not calibrated out the box, I had to use an icc profile. 

I just say that without calibration, a xiaomi mi notebook pro screen was looking better than mine (XPS 9550) without color calibration lol

21 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Can convert to your currency?

about Rs.130,000

11 hours ago, Lukyp said:

If you are a professional yes.

But in my case che color profile was not calibrated out the box, I had to use an icc profile

yeah I've read cases of XPS screen being a little too oversaturated unfortunately and some tweaking has to be done. I still think the screen is great but, alas, not without it's problems.

I was going to suggest laptops with 7700HQ CPU but they don't have good quality display (those within your budget). I would suggest you to go Ultrabooks/regular laptops, however they usually don't have good GPU performance. So what's your decision?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I was going to suggest laptops with 7700HQ CPU but they don't have good quality display (those within your budget). I would suggest you to go Ultrabooks/regular laptops, however they usually don't have good GPU performance. So what's your decision?

I did find a XPS 9560 i7-7700HQ with GTX 1050 for my price range as the unit had a little damaged 'DELL' logo (the last 'L' was chipped) during shipment and the store was willing to cut the prices for that. Apart from that one little thing, everything was okay with the unit. I'm thinking about going for it. Should I do it?

1 hour ago, wizani said:

Should I do it?

This model has too many issues for its price

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, wizani said:

I did find a XPS 9560 i7-7700HQ with GTX 1050 for my price range as the unit had a little damaged 'DELL' logo (the last 'L' was chipped) during shipment and the store was willing to cut the prices for that. Apart from that one little thing, everything was okay with the unit. I'm thinking about going for it. Should I do it?

I understand your situation. I live in India and prices are pretty high. I think you should just get any laptop that offers the best specs for your budget. We don't have much options. The Acer Nitro is better than the Predator Helios, the new CPU should last longer but both would require some tweaking maybe repaste to improve performance.

18 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

The Acer Nitro is better than the Predator Helios

Both are equally good and bad at similar aspects

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Both are equally good and bad at similar aspects

Price wise the Nitro 5 is cheaper in India and neighbouring countries. 

9 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Price wise the Nitro 5 is cheaper in India and all countries

Fixed that for you

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

I live in India and prices are pretty high. 

Yeah I feel you man. The Nitro 5 offers a little more for  its price point than Helios, but yeah both have just meh batteries and the screen as well. Recently stores here are pushing for the Dell G-series. Everywhere I look I only see them and all three varients have the same specs (i7-8750H, GTX 1050 ti, 8GB RAM and 128 GB SSD+ 1 TB HDD) and you are paying more for G7 for it's built quality and heat management I guess. And only having such small or no official outlets, the customisation for laptops are non-existent.

17 hours ago, wizani said:

Yeah I feel you man. The Nitro 5 offers a little more for  its price point than Helios, but yeah both have just meh batteries and the screen as well. Recently stores here are pushing for the Dell G-series. Everywhere I look I only see them and all three varients have the same specs (i7-8750H, GTX 1050 ti, 8GB RAM and 128 GB SSD+ 1 TB HDD) and you are paying more for G7 for it's built quality and heat management I guess. And only having such small or no official outlets, the customisation for laptops are non-existent.

Here you might pay even on Amazon at least 20-30% over usual price for laptops and other general tech. Cheapo stuff like cables are very poor quality imported from China and sold for very cheap. the PC market is also import taxed who knows what the new tax implications on Chinese imports into US will cost us. And not to mention average wage is pretty low. Most middle class kids can't afford even a console let alone a gaming PC. We make do with integrated graphics and 2 series cards.Newegg is the only decently priced seller of PC parts in India. Used market totally sucks. As for official outlets limited just major appliance resellers like Best Buy but with hiked prices and people who don't know the difference between an iMac and an iMac Pro even in an Apple Store. The 2015 Macbook Air base model is selling for close to 1000$ dollars "on offer". Official sticker price is close to 1200$.

I guess I have cringed enough though....