Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
9define

How to remove default/bundled apps in macOS Mojave

Posted · Original PosterOP

With Apple's new macOS release, Mojave, users have found that they're unable to hide or remove annoying apps like News, Stocks, Home, etc. It's likely the kernel that's preventing you from doing so. However, a friend and I determined a workaround and documented it on GitHub. Importantly, our solution does not require one to disable SIP, which is a big plug. Also, if Apple decides to block this workaround, one can boot from a live usb of a previous macOS release that can read APFS drives, such as High Sierra. We didn't document that contingency, but it's a fun option if needed. I figured I'd add this here as I've seen no existing solutions and it's likely something that people will be searching for given the official release.

Happy hacking!

PS: Screw you, Apple.

Why not just toss them in a folder

image.png.d11f7cb92a29fa5e2d5ad091a107dbc3.png

English not good. You should take what I say with a grain of salt

Disabling SIP isn’t that hard or even that big a deal. Do what you want then re-enable it. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball