Noisy front 200mm fan in 650d

MonsterApology

the stock fan is really starting to bother me. ive read in a couple different places that most 200mm fans will be too thick to fit in the front. Can anyone recommend a quieter fan that would fit?

Have you tried turning down the fan rpm using the built-in fan controller? The switch is found in the hotswap area on the top of the case. As for replacing the fan, I don't believe that it's designed to be changed, so it may prove challenging.

You were a noob once too!

its not so much the noise from how fast the fan is spinning. i just hear it start to rattle every once in a while.

I get the same thing with my 600T's front 200mm fan...try balancing the pressure of the screws.

Yeah, I dunno what Corsair were thinking with that fan. Fine in the 600T I guess, but in their flagship silence case?

I swapped mine out for a Bitfenix Spectre Pro. Decent improvement. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of choice out there at this sort of fan size.

Yeah' date=' I dunno what Corsair were thinking with that fan. Fine in the 600T I guess, but in their flagship silence case? I swapped mine out for a Bitfenix Spectre Pro. Decent improvement. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of choice out there at this sort of fan size. [/quote']

Absolutly the BitFenix Spectre Pros are just mindblowing :)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

BitFenix Spectre Pro will be quieter. Spectre non-Pro will move less air, but be virtually silent.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, you are all mistaken about the fans, no matter what fan you put infront of the 650d or 600t it will make noise, its just the way the honeycomb is made, its weird and makes alot of turbulence noise, i mean i put a noctua nd-p14-flx 140mm with the ultra low noise adapter and i still get noise, what ive seen people do is just take a dremmel and cut out the honeycomb and all your noise problems will be over.

Hi,

I know that it a thick fan. But I'm useing a Mega Flow 200mm fan from Cooler Master. I have one in my 650D. It is too thick for the hard drive bats original location. I had to move mine over towards the PSU. 650 D allows for that. I will also say that I have 2 MSI R7970's in the case on a SABERTOOTH 990FX. They have way more than enough clearance. The Mega Flow has a max RPM of 700. Mine turns at 400 because I have it in Silant Mode on the motherboard controller that I am useing instead of the 3 position switch. Also the mother board adjust the speed acording to temps that I have. I'm also runng all Cougar Vortex 120mm fans for the H100, & the rear exhaust. I'm thinking about running Cougar 2 more fans ether on top or behind the GPU's. They hit 67c when I was playing sleeping dogs. I've had good luck with the Cougar Vortex fans being nice & silant.

The Cooler Master Mega Flow Red that I have in the frront of my 650D is 700 RPM @ 100 CFM. So it's probaly around 60 CFM at the 400 to 450 RPM that it will run at in silant Mode.

Anyway,

Move thae hard drive bay over to the slot next to the PSU to install thicker fan.

Replace it with either a bitfenix spectre pro or a coolermaster magaflow. I have the spectre pro in my 600t and it's almost silent and pushes more air than the stock fan.

if you cut out the mesh in front it helps some with noise and improves air flow significantly. But this wont fix the ticking noise that you mentioned.

You Can also space the fan from the mesh to help quiet it down depending where it is. All Corsair fams are a little loud. 120s, Nocua or Cougar Vortex. As said before 200mm CoolerMaster MagaFlow. Closer the fan is to the mesh, the more noise caused by turbulance from mesh.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the exact same boat..as my rig is in the same case. Just ordered a CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200mm BlueLED for the intake fan. I cant take the motor noise anymore. I already replaced the top exhaust fan with the same fan as the stock one produced ozone (and I just cant take it, some can tolerate it, but not me).

The CoolerMaster MegaFlow is much quieter than the stock ones.

As a note: I bought this case right at release, before they fixed the onboard fan controller. I have the little patch device they offered and ran it since. After thinking about my cases noise level and realizing I left in on high the vast majority of the time...I bypassed the fan controller altogether And I find the whole thing is much more tolerable with the fans running at thier designed speed. That is what helped me narrow down that the intake fan was all that was left causing me problems.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

Guys, you are all mistaken about the fans, no matter what fan you put infront of the 650d or 600t it will make noise, its just the way the honeycomb is made, its weird and makes alot of turbulence noise, i mean i put a noctua nd-p14-flx 140mm with the ultra low noise adapter and i still get noise, what ive seen people do is just take a dremmel and cut out the honeycomb and all your noise problems will be over.
I have found it is not a turbulence issue, but the motor on the stock fan is just noisy.

When removing the front filter/mesh and allowing the air to flow through the same honeycomb that my top CM MegaFlow does (see post below)...the stock intake fan still makes all the noise that I hear and it is distinctly a 'motor' noise.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

Cool LargeGeek. How was fan to hard drive clearance?

I had to Move the HD bay over in mine.

I run all of my Fans off of my 990 FX. I can adjust them with AI Suite 2. I love on board fan controle. All of my fans are not audable. I do how ever hear some coil noise from MoBo. Not too bad.

Had to move my drive cage as well. Corsair used thin custom fans...one of the reasons for the noise and other issues I guess.

Its running cool quiet now. There is just the slight sound of turbulence, which I can deal with. And NO MORE MOTOR NOISE! YEAH!!

I ended up also removing the mesh on the front intake grill just to let it breath even better. It was doing nothing to prevent dust intake. The attached pics are after 5 min of cleaning it up.

post-5840-13667861639365_thumb.jpg

post-5840-13667861639869_thumb.jpg