I want to make my own ear fit IEM's. Is it advisable? (I'm 15 years old)

Watermelon4man

As you read I want to make my own IEM's but I'm not sure if it is advisable because of ear growth. Can people give me some advice?

3 hours ago, Watermelon4man said:

As you read I want to make my own IEM's but I'm not sure if it is advisable because of ear growth. Can people give me some advice?

Are you talking about a custom IEM shell, like companies like 64Audio and Ultimate Ears offer? If you are then I would avoid doing it now, because you will have to redo it quite soon. Most recommend that you do it when you are about 24, just because then your earcanals should be finished changing. (I think that is the age doctors say the changes to your inner ear will be minimal afterwards)

Also keep in mind how you place the drivers in the IEM will change the sound and you are likely to get imbalance if you don't have a measurement setup to check the balance. I would highly advise you to join headphone headquarters discord because there you can find someone that do custom IEMs.

There is also the option to basically just make a custom tip for your IEMs, where you in theory could use one of those kits for DIY custom earplugs.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Its been done before but your probably still in for at least $400 because you are probably gonna break some stuff and have to start again 

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

1 hour ago, Biased Opinion said:

Its been done before but your probably still in for at least $400 because you are probably gonna break some stuff and have to start again 

Yeah i saw the video. it really intrigued me and got me interested in making my own IEM's. I've looked up multiple guides and other things and via those things stumbled on the head-fi forum post about it wich links to a google document of 70 pages or something.

13 hours ago, Watermelon4man said:

Yeah i saw the video. it really intrigued me and got me interested in making my own IEM's. I've looked up multiple guides and other things and via those things stumbled on the head-fi forum post about it wich links to a google document of 70 pages or something.

can you share that google doc, i wouldnt mind reading it.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.