how much of a fps boost to be expected with a watercooled GPU oc?

so im planning on gaming 4K HDR, ray tracing max graphics (excluding AA) at 144fps so i think the RTX 2080ti would do the job but not perfectly, i doubt that can do that at 144fps on games such as, rainbow six, tomb raider, GTA5, metro, total war, for honor, games like that

so i have two options either get a 2nd RTX2080ti or watercool the GPU and OC it, and alot of people are saying SLI is dead so i think the smarter thing to do is watercool instead

so if lets say im gaming on a RTX 2080ti with 4K, max graphics and i get about 100fps, how much would watercooling GPU OC give me roughly? 

2 minutes ago, Asusfanboy said:

expect a 15 fps jump

Lmao you can't just pull a number out your ass. 

With newer Nvidia cards there isn't really much more OC room gained with water. Essentially think of watercooling as an enthusiast thing - more for looks and silence than pure OC performance. It does make more of a difference on the CPU but that won't be the limit 

Another 2080ti will work better if you have to have the best but I'd wait for performance figures before taking the plunge. RT isn't widely supported and won.be for a while. 2  (I suggest used) 1080tis will be a lot cheaper and still awesome for the games you're playing 

That's an F in the profile pic

yo bro chill 

last gen pascal had about that kind of fps jump

4 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Lmao you can't just pull a number out your ass. 

With newer Nvidia cards there isn't really much more OC room gained with water. Essentially think of watercooling as an enthusiast thing - more for looks and silence than pure OC performance. It does make more of a difference on the CPU but that won't be the limit 

Another 2080ti will work better if you have to have the best but I'd wait for performance figures before taking the plunge. RT isn't widely supported and won.be for a while. 2  (I suggest used) 1080tis will be a lot cheaper and still awesome for the games you're playing 

bruh why u reccomending my dude 1080tis those last gen suck CLEARLY he is going for the ultimate build 

2 hours ago, saif96 said:

..how much would watercooling GPU OC give me roughly? 

Not much. Watercooling will just squeeze the last clock steps out of the card that the boost denies because the warmer air cooled card or the cooler can't handle.

A custom 1080Ti with a propper air cooler will just run 0-1% faster with watercooling.

A FE card with a bad cooler maybe ~5% depending on the noise level you have been comfortable with.

WC'ing doesn't do magic to overclocking a well built, well cooled GPU. The first 1080 Ti I ran with the blower did HIGHER clocks at %100 fan speed (I don't care about noise) than the dud reference I bought later on to slap a waterblock onto. It comes down on luck... and that Monsta sucks, don't buy it. It's too thick, and therefore likes crazy fans. Creates restriction and is just heavy as hell. Had one and thinking back, it was a bad purchase. Stick with more realistic rads.

Depends on the card.

Theres a load of things to consider some of which are.

Max OC possible on Air

Voltage restrictions

Silicon Lottery.

if the chip is a cool running chip, then your likely to get closer to its max posible frequency (regardless of voltage) on air as such going liquid wouldnt increase the OC much more and ths the FPS increase woudl be smaller.

If its a hot runnign chip, you wont get much of a OC on air and could be a ways off its potential max oC, as such on liquid you could see a significant boost.

If the card and/or Nvidia has restricted the voltage, you only have a limited amount to play with so you may never see the OC increase on liquid since you may be limited by voltage. This also applies to power restrictions.

Finaly all the above can be irrelivant if your unlucky with the silicon lottery and you get a chip that really cant OC that well.

So no1 can give you a fps figure tbh, any figure given is litterly just pulled out of thin air.

Generaly however, liquid cooling will increase your OC and thus your FPS, it could be only a small amount, it could be alot.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, Asusfanboy said:

bruh why u reccomending my dude 1080tis those last gen suck CLEARLY he is going for the ultimate build 

Thanks man, yes i am looking into ultimate build, im trying to use my PG27UQ monitor at its fullest

4K, HDR, 144Hz, Ray tracing, Max graphics at 98-144fps is what im looking for and im pretty sure the GPU wont handle it so what do you think it'll take to get what im looking for?

11 minutes ago, saif96 said:

Thanks man, yes i am looking into ultimate build, im trying to use my PG27UQ monitor at its fullest

4K, HDR, 144Hz, Ray tracing, Max graphics at 98-144fps is what im looking for and im pretty sure the GPU wont handle it so what do you think it'll take to get what im looking for?

What makes you think you will be able to use ray tracing at 4k? 

Also, impossible to tell how much FPS you would gain with watercooling, because we do not know how well Turing cards overclock. 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

9 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

What makes you think you will be able to use ray tracing at 4k? 

Also, impossible to tell how much FPS you would gain with watercooling, because we do not know how well Turing cards overclock. 

holy crap just how damning is ray tracing?? i was pretty sure the 2080ti could handle it

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2018 at 4:38 AM, saif96 said:

so im planning on gaming 4K HDR, ray tracing max graphics (excluding AA) at 144fps so i think the RTX 2080ti would do the job but not perfectly, i doubt that can do that at 144fps on games such as, rainbow six, tomb raider, GTA5, metro, total war, for honor, games like that

so i have two options either get a 2nd RTX2080ti or watercool the GPU and OC it, and alot of people are saying SLI is dead so i think the smarter thing to do is watercool instead

so if lets say im gaming on a RTX 2080ti with 4K, max graphics and i get about 100fps, how much would watercooling GPU OC give me roughly? 

Lol sorry I’m a bit late, but you’re not getting 144fps 4K with everything maxed out.. very few builds are capable, unless you’re playing rocket league lmao, FPS games will struggle, especially at 4K. My 2080 super barely pulls 80 frames on 4K in COD (everything maxed) and I’m sorry but you’re not going to be seeing a +80% increase from the 2080 ti. It’s just not possible, you may see maybe 20 frames more on average 

On 8/26/2018 at 8:45 AM, saif96 said:

holy crap just how damning is ray tracing?? i was pretty sure the 2080ti could handle it

Ray tracing is so damaging that, you actually see less frames on the 2070 super With RTX  than a 1070 ti would put out without it, it’s expected to a degree, but people would normally expect a leap forward (which day tracing in itself is a massive leap, but gamers are greedy with frames haha)

7 minutes ago, TonyD7 said:

Ray tracing is so damaging that, you actually see less frames on the 2070 super With RTX  than a 1070 ti would put out without it, it’s expected to a degree, but people would normally expect a leap forward (which day tracing in itself is a massive leap, but gamers are greedy with frames haha)

^^^ In some titles it's less damning if you reduce it a bit, but yeah nah not at 4K. 4K 144Hz is a big thing to ask even of the 2080 Ti (it struggles with 4K60 if you insist on ultra settings in the latest big titles), adding ray-tracing to the mix is an oof. 

If you're willing to fuck around with settings and drop some stuff for better fps, 75+ should be doable I'd imagine, IDK about with ray-tracing though, depends on the title and what control over it they give you. And also what you'll settle for graphically. If you're looking for a gorgeous gaming experience you'll have a much better time than if you insist on perfect screenshotable quality (a lot of settings in games make no noticeable difference in gameplay, you'll only see a quality drop if you screenshot both presets, then exit the game and compare the two stills lol). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Depends on the clock gains. I gained over 100mhz going form air to water with stock settings.  
benchmarks showed a very small gain. Same with an actual overclock.

But if it can gain from it, 1-5%. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Performance gain on turing is minimal to the point of negligible.

It's mostly aesthetics and silence though plenty of air cooled cards that are inaudible with headphones on.

Turing is limited by power draw mostly.

Won't hit 144 fps at 4k with a 2080 Ti on the more demanding games on max settings.

I hit around 140 fps on 1440p in far cry 5 settings all max with highest stable oc on a gaming x trio with a 380 watt power limit.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:45 AM, saif96 said:

Like a 40% reduction in FPS currently.  Ray Tracing might be the next big thing but it has a way to go still.   Right now in my opinion it is more of a 1080p thing and even then you need a pretty high end GPU if you want to take advantage of everything its got.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:45 AM, saif96 said:

I suggest you do a little research into ray tracing on YouTube, and 2080ti sli or the death of sli for that matter. 

What you think you want is just not possible yet and that's assuming ray tracing sticks around in its current form, implementation and popularity or lack there of. 

As far as water cooling and fps. Will you see better performance, more than likely yes. It may take a card capable of a 50mhz bump at 70c and net you a 150mhz bump with sustained 40c temps. Also that +50 bump will go down with thermal throttling over time up to 70c where that +150 bump will be consistent at 40c.

SLI is pretty much all but dead so a second 2080ti is just a waste of money period.

Ray tracing is.. well kinda whatever it is right now. Some implementations are good, some are bad, some are poor optimized but most of not all tank performance hard. In many cases with meh fidelity improve for that performance penalty.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

• 2 years later...

Hi i am experiencing a issue with fps performance with my newly watercooled evga rtx 3090 ftw3 ultra gaming gpu it was able to maintain 240 fps when air-cooled but when i added the water cooling it can barely do 150fps is there a reason for that?