It takes 4 minutes to boot my pc and I'm fed up with it ($10usd if u can fix my problem)

Spuddy0108

The spinning wheel of death, or in my case, the spinning wheel of 4 minutes. You might have heard of it. When windows 10 is loading up and showing the windows logo(or you motherboard brand logo if you have it enabled in the bios) and below that the spinning wheel. It just sits there spinning along for a whole god damn 4 minutes doing seemingly nothing, then suddenly, the desktop appears and all necessary software loads in the system tray in just seconds.

Before i continue bitching i should tell you that windows is installed on a Samsung 840pro ssd, motherboard is a asus z170 pro gaming. I'll post the full specs at the bottom.

I tried numerous suggestions and 'solutions'. Non of which worked for me so far.

Video of the problem:

Things i tried so far

-Disabling intel management engine interface in device manager

-Configuring sata as AHCI, which it already was

-Disabling fast boot in windows(and in bios too)

-disabling numerous startup programs and services.

-Updating all hardware drivers to their latest version including keyboard and mouse software.

-changing a dozen or so bios settings in the hope they would fix it

-Updated bios to latest version

-Unplugged everything to it's barest necessity(1hd, keyboard, mouse, monitor)

-Swapped sata cables

-disabled superfetch

-Disabled hibernation

The only thing that does fix it is a complete format. But after just a few days the problem comes back. First it starts doing it at some boot ups while other boot ups are fast. Until it does it at every boot up

Full specs:

Motherboard: Asus z170 pro gaming

GPU: Asus gtx1070 founders edition

memory: 2x8gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz

cpu: Intel 6600k stock speed

PSU: Antec truepower 750watt

Steelseries sensei mouse and corsair k55 keyboard

samsung 840pro boot drive

samsung 850evo data

samsung 850evo m.2 data

WD red backups

WD purple stream

Nothing is overclocked

Samsung magician is running and over provisioning is enabled on all ssd's.

Spybot antibeacon to block microsoft ip's was applied in the past

O&O shutup10 was applied in the past

Try using samsung's magician thing and trim your ssd. 

Does your pc also take time to boot in safe mode? 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

@Spuddy0108

this is MOST likely a driver issue that's taking too long to load, uninstall them all and see if that solves anything, or just uninstall the drivers you think are a problem.

you can also boot your PC in Safe Mode to check if your issue is gone there.

also try going to MSConfig and disabling ALL NON-Microsoft services, and see if that does anything.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

@Spuddy0108
the reason a fresh install of windows works and then the problem comes back makes me think im 100% sure its a driver issue, some driver got installed and is doing this.
or just could be a service.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

first guess is that its not a bios setting as you're getting beyond that point fairly quickly.

seems like its a software thing, perhaps when something is loading its timing out.

i think that there is a way to do a windows tracer/boot log on next boot from within windows, that might help?

1. Replace SATA cable.

2. If problem returns (as you say) after few days - disable prefetch and superfetch (just for check) and delte all files in "prefetch" folder (c:\windows\prefetch\).

3. Disable hibernation (google it).

Good luck.

If that doesn't help... last chance:

4. Uninstall antivirus.

And not waste your time for searching problems by updating drivers - if they were bad, you'll notice the same problem even at first boot after install, not after few days.

I'd usually do a fresh install but that's just a brute force way of fixing it imo

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

5 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

I'd usually do a fresh install but that's just a brute force way of fixing it imo

Fresh installing a Windows is not a brute way as Windows tend to get corrupted over time, Windows 10 has Reset option that serves as almost "fresh install" try that if everything else doesn't work and you don't mind losing some of your files. (ofc you will have to wait a bit for it to reset but it's better this way rather than waiting 4 min everytime it boots 4 min * 7 times of the week = 28 min booting time weekly that's the time it'll be reseted/clean installed)

Just now, voiha said:

Fresh installing a Windows is not a brute way as Windows tend to get corrupted over time, Windows 10 has Reset option that serves as almost "fresh install" try that if everything else doesn't work and you don't mind losing some of your files. (ofc you will have to wait a bit for it to reset but it's better this way rather than waiting 4 min everytime it boots 4 min * 7 times of the week = 28 min booting time weekly that's the time it'll be reseted/clean installed)

I didn't know about that, thanks

First disable diskcheck and run the following command

msconfig

there disable all startup items you do not need. ( startup could be moved to taks manager between win 10 and 7 )

then reboot and you will see it goes fast xD

greets from PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

2 hours ago, voiha said:

Why is there more and more people with zero experience repeating stupid myths about degrading Windows installation over time?

What exactly is degrading? Bytes are more and more dirty? You must clean files from dust?

Because of that myths, Linux and Mac users have fun and repeat that their operating systems are much better, because doesn't need that. In fact Windows can be used for years. For example - one of computer that I have access remotely, has installation date - February 2006! System (XP!) was moved (without any fresh install) to another drive, then there was computer upgrade (motherboard, cpu etc) and it still running without any, even small problems! My win7 installation works for over 6 years until I finally change to win10. And I already change SSD to bigger and motherboard/cpu/ram to much better. Without "fresh install" of course. And without any problems.

Another thing - Spuddy0108 write that he complete format his drive. So why you still recommend something that was already done? I suspect that you just don't read whole post, but have universal answer to everything - reinstall windows. Damn, this forum should have more experienced users. Even by respect for Linus.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

degrading

Where exactly I said "degrading". Want me to define the word "corrupted" ? Before ranting read my comment properly or you want me to explain what I meant by saying 

1 hour ago, KendoSapion said:

Windows tend to get corrupted over time

?

The same myth, different description. You're just repeating b***it that people says.

Tell me - what is your experience other than reinstalling windows every few months? How long you have installed any system without reinstallation and can you solve any problem without reinstalling the system? There is big difference between experience and knowing only one way to resolve any problem.

1 hour ago, voiha said:

I don't have the energy for you, I'm not repeating no one. Read this and continue with your life: 
https://superuser.com/questions/1029380/how-and-why-do-system-files-get-corrupted

So, you have NONE personal experience, but you can repeat what other people says without even check if is true (and if its anyhow related to the problem). Good for you.

As I said I don't have the energy to argue with you(@homeap5) , clicking on your profile only confirms my suspicion that you want to fight about stuff no matter if it was needed. Take a chill pill and ask/correct people kindly.

I can kindly talk with people who are ask for problem and want to resolve it. I register on this forum because I have big respect to Linus and I thought that this may be the best forum for resolving problems over internet. Unfortunatelly, all I see is repeating over and over the same myths. Nothing wrong if someone just have their own opinion, but there is a problem if someone with no experience trying to help others and repeats false informations that may mislead someone. Then another person see that "windows get corrupted over time" (like rust?), "reinstalling windows is the best solution" etc. and repeats that on other forum. Then everyone "knows" that this is true (because lie repeated 1000 times becomes true) and people says that Windows sucks, because needs to be reinstalled every month, files are magically getting corrupted, drivers stop working without reason and almost 99% of problems can be resolved only by reinstalling windows. It's like car mechanic says that you must buy new car, even if replacing tires will be enough.

@homeap5

linux is preffered for differend things

games are not one of them or you work with buggy wine ( wine is no emulator xD ) 

and windows do do get corrupted like any other program code that get corrupted because of differend things

example. Put your PC in hibernate with out a reboot. Your mem get saturated and Hibernate will fail

is it the mem ? Is it the HD’s ?  No it’s the program that makes a mess of the not so friendly optimized code and that leave garbage behind that just need a reboot in time or it start corrupting files .... yes desktop icons that appear behind desktop icons 

files that you move that disappear ... but corruption does not exist

bugs do not exist. It’s just a random generated future xD

greets from PowerChaos 

ps: server and home is differend. Same as the cpu’s And motherboards 

but anyway

what do I know of those server stuff when I used to do win xp vps hosting with 128 mb ram (node only got 4gb those days and it wasn’t even a quad core ( but dual cpu. sun. Love it  xD )

So can you provide a solution else we can discuss this in the off topic or general section as it is no point in highjacking a topic

But enough off topic. Let’s get back @Spuddy0108 and his problem

greets from PowerChaos 

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

59 minutes ago, voiha said:

Where exactly I said "degrading". Want me to define the word "corrupted" ? Before ranting read my comment properly or you want me to explain what I meant by saying 

?

I never said that? you quoted the wrong person...

Thank you so far for all responses. I will go over them one by one and see if your suggestion fixes my issue. But yea, some of your suggestions are very vage or general like: "Probably a service". If you can tell me which one then that would be great. If you need any additional info or screenshot i can provide those.

I should also add that i have 3 ssd's and 2 hdd's installed in the system.

1 Samsung 840 pro 128gb which is the boot drive

1 Samsung 850 evo 500gb data drive

1 Samsung 850 evo m.2 250 gb data drive

1 WD red 1tb for backups

1 WD purple 1tb for recoriding

Samsung magician is running and over provisioning is enabled on all ssd's.

@Spuddy0108

why you need overprovisioning ?

you want to use more space the. You have ?  And compressing all files to save  space ?

and then wonder why it takes a long time to boot ( compress -> decompress -> compress again -> repeat )

Disable it and it will go better. Or at least disable it for your boot disk ...

greets from PowerChaos 

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

3 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Try using samsung's magician thing and trim your ssd. 

Does your pc also take time to boot in safe mode? 

I already use samsung magician. I tried booting in safe mode, it won't even boot up. The windows logo comes up but instead of a spinning wheel there is no wheel at all. I wited 6-7 minutes but nothing happens.

35 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

you quoted the wrong person...

I didn't quoted you I was talking about homeap5