Could the RTX 2000 series names be misleading?

Back when the Gtx 600 series where the newest thing, the top tier card was the 680.

Then the 700 series came and we all thought that the 780, where going to be the top tier card that generation. But then 6 months later the 780 Ti came out and suddenly that was the top tier (not counting all the Titans cards, but I don't think those are that fair to compare with this)

And that's how it was for the next 2 generation as well, the 900 series had the 980 Ti and there were the 1080 Ti as well. But what I always felt Nvidia really had done, was taking logic we where use to, that the ''80's'' was suppose to the best and then put Ti at the end of it and have it come out 6-12 months later, with an insanely high price tag. So how I see it, then suddenly the 780 Ti, with the logic we where used too, with which number the cards where named changed. Based on how it used to be, the 780 Ti would have been called 780, the 780 would have been 770, and so on. And the same with the 900 and 1000 series.

Where I am going with this, is that I think that what's going on again. I think that 6-12 months down the line, some new card with a new name or number that's not a Titan, will come out and be new ''Ti'' or ''80'' .

I think that Nvidia is messing with what we think is how things work and using it to raise the prices Even More this generation, that they already have so far, with the upcoming cards.

It could even make the new cards look even more powerful compared to last generation, that they actually are, at least in compare to their equivalent numbered little brothers. So really what it should be compared to (if I am right about my predictions), is the Gtx 1060 (6gb).

Or I am wrong about all this and Nvidia is doing us all a favor and coming out with the very best gaming card from launch day, because it's been over 2 years since last generation gaming cards, where released.

But I doubt it.    

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

With pricing this high a 2070 need to compare to a 1080 which is btw over 150€ cheaper.

Are you saying that a 2070 should be as powerful as a 1080? Because it should be Way more powerful.

35 minutes ago, Dunzaus said:

Or I am wrong about all this and Nvidia is doing us all a favor and coming out with the very best gaming card from launch day

I think the lifespan will be short on the latest offering due to the upcoming 7nm process.

So maybe just a get them all out there asap upon launch.

3 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I think the lifespan will be short on the latest offering due to the upcoming 7nm process.

that's what im afraid of... 7nm is a big jump, so i'm afraid these cards will be obselete when 7nm comes around, because 12nm is basically 16nm, it's not an actual "12" nm.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, glenalz81 said:

I doubt it, since there's no competition from AMD to make them do that. And Intel's graphics cards is not coming before 2020, at the earliest. I'm also curious to see how these upcoming cards will do with Mining. If Mining benefit a lot, then we have prices going up even further and have them flying of the shelves, which really won't make them release next generation, any time soon.

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

that's what im afraid of... 7nm is a big jump, so i'm afraid these cards will be obselete when 7nm comes around, because 12nm is basically 16nm, it's not an actual "12" nm.

I doubt it, since there's no competition from AMD to make them do that. And Intel's graphics cards is not coming before 2020, at the earliest. I'm also curious to see how these upcoming cards will do with Mining. If Mining benefit a lot, then we have prices going up even further and have them flying of the shelves, which really won't make them release next generation, any time soon.

8 minutes ago, Dunzaus said:

that's what i thought at first but then i wondered why they didn't show ANY benchmark results? all they kept babbling about is Ray Tracing and how the new cards perform 6x better at Ray Tracing than older cards bla bla bla, which is completely unfair.

maybe the reason they didn't talk about actual performance is because the new cards are lacking, and it's not worth it to show benchmarks because they will be similar.

so IF the performance is lacking then i guess they will release 7nm next year, not many people are gonna buy an RTX 2080 TI or 2080 if the 1080 Ti is so much cheaper, and offers similar results. minus ray tracing.

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

that's what i thought at first but then i wondered why they didn't show ANY benchmark results? all they kept babbling about is Ray Tracing and how the new cards perform 6x better at Ray Tracing than older cards bla bla bla, which is completely unfair.

maybe the reason they didn't talk about actual performance is because the new cards are lacking, and it's not worth it to show benchmarks because they will be similar.

so IF the performance is lacking then i guess they will release 7nm next year.

It doesn't matter if the gaming benchmarks won't be as high, as people hope. As long as there isn't a competitor with a better or cheaper option, then it doesn't matter how good these cards are, as long as they are better than last generation. They won't feel the need to release anything in a year, if they don't need to.

1 minute ago, Dunzaus said:

It doesn't matter if the gaming benchmarks won't be as high, as people hope. As long as there isn't a competitor with a better or cheaper option, then it doesn't matter how good these cards are, as long as they are better than last generation. They won't feel the need to release anything in a year, if they don't need to.

i really hope so, i dont wanna be an early adopter and then get screwed over next year 

I would for sure not pre-order an RTX card.

However if the RTX 2070 will match a 1080ti in games even if the RTX is a little bit more expensive i would seriously consider it.

6 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I would for sure not pre-order an RTX card.

However if the RTX 2070 will match a 1080ti in games even if the RTX is a little bit more expensive i would seriously consider it.

Though it should actually be much faster, since we ''skipped'' a generation. A 2070 that matches a 1080ti, should have come out 1 year ago, as a Volta. By now a 2060 should match a 1080 ti and that's only if I am wrong about everything above.

18 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

i really hope so, i dont wanna be an early adopter and then get screwed over next year 

You won't really get screwed, because that's exactly how it should be. New cards coming out every year.

You won't really get screwed, because that's exactly how it should be. New cards coming out every year.

that's fine and all, i didn't mean it like that, by getting screwed i meant like getting 50%+ (minimum of 50%) more performance in one year for the same amount of money... thats getting screwed over.

if it was 10-20% then sure.. i don't care about that.

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

that's fine and all, i didn't mean it like that, by getting screwed i meant like getting 50%+ (minimum of 50%) more performance in one year for the same amount of money... thats getting screwed over.

if it was 10-20% then sure.. i don't care about that.

Well when was the last time you saw such a leap in fps or performance when a GPU or CPU, because they went down in die size?  It's not just all about the die size, that alone won't necessarily make performance better, by the amount you are referring to. Just take AMD and Intel CPU's at the moment. AMD either got 14 or 12 nm and they are still not as fast as Intel. AMD is only beating Intel with more cores and lower prices.

Well when was the last time you saw such a leap in fps or performance when a GPU or CPU, because they went down in die size?  It's not just all about the die size, that alone won't necessarily make performance better, by the amount you are referring to. Just take AMD and Intel CPU's at the moment. AMD either got 14 or 12 nm and they are still not as fast as Intel. AMD is only beating Intel with more cores and lower prices.

GTX 900 series used 28nm, while GTX 1000 uses 16nm sooo that's the last time there was a huge jump, the jump was more than 60%

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

GTX 900 series used 28nm, while GTX 1000 uses 16nm sooo that's the last time there was a huge jump, the jump was more than 60%

But was there also that big up a jump in performance?

3 minutes ago, Dunzaus said:

also you're comparing Intel with AMD, im comparing Nvidia with Nvidia.

AMD has Vega with 14nm, we all know how that turned out... very different architectures, but when talking about similar architectures then the difference will be alot bigger.

Just now, Dunzaus said:

But was there also that big up a jump in performance?

yes the 60% jump is the performance.

19 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

yes the 60% jump is the performance.

I guess you aren't referring to performance in games, because there isn't a 60% performance difference between the 980 and 1080 or 980ti and 1080ti, in games.

4 minutes ago, Dunzaus said:

I guess you aren't referring to performance in games, because the isn't a 60% performance difference between the 980ti and 1080ti, in games

yes i am talking about games, if you compare the results.

7700K results:

DEUS EX (DX 11)
1080 Ti = 40 FPS
980 Ti = 22.8 FPS
75.4% difference

Rise of the tomb raider
1080 Ti = 68.89 FPS
980 Ti = 39.49 FPS
74.4% difference

For Honor
1080 Ti = 62.34 FPS
980 Ti = 35.74 FPS
74.4% Difference

GTA V 
1080 Ti = 74.05 FPS
980 Ti = 45.44 FPS
62.9% Difference

Crysis
1080 Ti = 53.76 FPS

980 Ti = 31.51 FPS
70.6% Difference

so it was actually more like 70%+ rather than 60%, and the same is true for GTX 1080 vs 980.

23985b0a-9e76-4e9a-ab6a-6ec6c9b4abba.thumb.png.1f1491f26456400167ebca4a1cdf7a35.png

difference there is 66.6%, it's by far the biggest leap

1 hour ago, Dunzaus said:

Are you saying that a 2070 should be as powerful as a 1080? Because it should be Way more powerful.

The RTX 2070 perform better than a Titan Xp

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

yes i am talking about games, if you compare the results.

7700K results:

DEUS EX (DX 11)
1080 Ti = 40 FPS
980 Ti = 22.8 FPS
75.4% difference

Rise of the tomb raider
1080 Ti = 68.89 FPS
980 Ti = 39.49 FPS
74.4% difference

For Honor
1080 Ti = 62.34 FPS
980 Ti = 35.74 FPS
74.4% Difference

GTA V 
1080 Ti = 74.05 FPS
980 Ti = 45.44 FPS
62.9% Difference

Crysis
1080 Ti = 53.76 FPS

980 Ti = 31.51 FPS
70.6% Difference

so it was actually more like 70%+ rather than 60%, and the same is true for GTX 1080 vs 980.

23985b0a-9e76-4e9a-ab6a-6ec6c9b4abba.thumb.png.1f1491f26456400167ebca4a1cdf7a35.png

difference there is 66.6%, it's by far the biggest leap

Hmm, I guess you were right about that, I must have had mostly CPU demanding games in my mind. I still doubt that you will see those cards that you fear, next year. I hope we will though. I want there to be such leaps, even though my wallet don't like it. But I don't see what would make Nvidia do that, unless there's competition.

3 minutes ago, Dunzaus said:

Hmm, I guess you were right about that, I must have had mostly CPU demanding games in my mind. I still doubt that you will see those cards that you fear, next year. I hope we will though. I want there to be such leaps, even though my wallet don't like it. But I don't see what would make Nvidia do that, unless there's competition.

Nvidia despite what you might think, is a company that strive for innovation...Why Ray Tracing? why all this Ai stuff? autonomous driving cars etc...no competition, they just do it because they have to, nvidia is a tech leading company and a forward looking one...despite what one might think nvidia doesnt give a fuck about AMD, about competition, nvidia strive for innovation and they are very good at it and they are making a pretty penny doing it. If you want to stay on top, and be looked at as a tech leader and one of the most important leading company in the world that's how you have to behave.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

12 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

The RTX 2070 perform better than a Titan Xp

Benchmarks or didn't happen

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold