Can I move windows 10 to my ssd? without loosing files

Go to solution Solved by aezakmi,

You can do it but first there are some steps. Also, the SSD has to be empty

1. Head to Disk Management in win and select "shrink volume" in your HDD partition, and create a new 580GB volume (that's the free space)

2. Move everything that's not part of the OS to that new partition, libraries included (music, pictures, documents, etc, you can restore them later) try to move large folders like games or movies too.

3. go back into disk management and now shrink the partition where Windows is installed to be smaller than your SSD (let's say 64GB?)

4. format the SSD as NTFS and also move the files you have there to the 580GB partition in the HDD, create a folder named ssd or something, rename "this pc" to "windows" or something you know

5. download and set up a bootable Clonezilla install (there's a guide on their site on how to do this)

6. boot the computer to clonezilla and select the "device-device" mode and then "part_to_local_part" clone, it'll ask you to select the SOURCE partition, select the one that has windows on it, then the TARGET partition, select your SSD there, confirm everything and let it work, it might take a while (1hr)

7. if everything worked correctly you'll have two identical windows installs and the PC won't be able to boot, do this, after clonezilla says the cloning was successfully finished turn it off and unplug your HDD data cable (not power), this way it'll boot from the SSD now

8. after windows loads, plug the HDD cable you removed so the drive works

9. go back into disk management and DELETE the volume containing windows in the HDD, you'll end up with even more empty space you can use to resize your other 580GB partition

10. profit

hope it works

to everyone else: never use "imaging" programs that run under windows, they're highly unstable and tend to fail or even destroy the partition table rendering the hard drive useless, using clonezilla properly is a lot safer, not to mention most of these programs like acronis or macrum have stupid speed or partition/drive limits that you can only lift by paying ridiculous amounts of money (hundreds or even thousands of dollars in case of "workstation" versions) the companies behind them just take advantage of novice users that are looking to clone a hard drive, real IT guys rely on different standalone utilities to create drive images or clone partitions/drives, clonezilla is one of them

Hello LTT forms, so basically I now realize ~2 years later that I made the rookie mistake of booting my Os system on to my 1TB hard drive, when in reality I should have installed the OS to my 120GB SSD! 

So I'm here to ask if their is any way I can move just the OS onto my ssd?

Is it as easy as moving the program files from Hdd to Ssd?

I heard that you can clone the whole hard drive onto your ssd and then when you are ready can delete the files from the ssd? The problem with that is that I have about 330 gb of files on my hard drive and my ssd is only 120 gb so Cloning would not work unless I have to delete all my not wanted computer files / games. <--- this would be the last resort tho so I prefer not to do that.

Any help would be awesome but Its ok if no one gets the chance to reply to this due to this thing being so confusing in my opinion. 

Thanks 5b74bb546df04_Storagescreenshotforssdandhdd.PNG.781e90e1a2e9a001bca8e6f06d82b4b7.PNG

Do you have Samsung SSD or no? 

You can use Macrium Reflect to clone the hard drive. 

Yes, you can use cloning tool such as Samsung Magician software or the Acronis one. It will just copy your whole drive onto the SSD, and then you can boot straight from it!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

Just now, Krosis said:

Yes, you can use cloning tool such as Samsung Magician software or the Acronis one. It will just copy your whole drive onto the SSD, and then you can boot straight from it!

This would be very good but I Cant copy the whole drive to my ssd due to it taking up more storage then my ssd can hold. Could this Cloning process still work?

3 hours ago, Diljot Phermaen said:

This would be very good but I Cant copy the whole drive to my ssd due to it taking up more storage then my ssd can hold. Could this Cloning process still work?

copy over some of the files you have on you ssd thats taking up the space and then just copy over the OS only , i am not sure if macrium has this option, but i know magician does, but you can check

also windows is hardly like 60 gb max, so you should be fine, 

also if you want you can install windows fresh into the ssd

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

1. Head to Disk Management in win and select "shrink volume" in your HDD partition, and create a new 580GB volume (that's the free space)

2. Move everything that's not part of the OS to that new partition, libraries included (music, pictures, documents, etc, you can restore them later) try to move large folders like games or movies too.

3. go back into disk management and now shrink the partition where Windows is installed to be smaller than your SSD (let's say 64GB?)

4. format the SSD as NTFS and also move the files you have there to the 580GB partition in the HDD, create a folder named ssd or something, rename "this pc" to "windows" or something you know

5. download and set up a bootable Clonezilla install (there's a guide on their site on how to do this)

6. boot the computer to clonezilla and select the "device-device" mode and then "part_to_local_part" clone, it'll ask you to select the SOURCE partition, select the one that has windows on it, then the TARGET partition, select your SSD there, confirm everything and let it work, it might take a while (1hr)

7. if everything worked correctly you'll have two identical windows installs and the PC won't be able to boot, do this, after clonezilla says the cloning was successfully finished turn it off and unplug your HDD data cable (not power), this way it'll boot from the SSD now

9. go back into disk management and DELETE the volume containing windows in the HDD, you'll end up with even more empty space you can use to resize your other 580GB partition

10. profit

hope it works

to everyone else: never use "imaging" programs that run under windows, they're highly unstable and tend to fail or even destroy the partition table rendering the hard drive useless, using clonezilla properly is a lot safer, not to mention most of these programs like acronis or macrum have stupid speed or partition/drive limits that you can only lift by paying ridiculous amounts of money (hundreds or even thousands of dollars in case of "workstation" versions) the companies behind them just take advantage of novice users that are looking to clone a hard drive, real IT guys rely on different standalone utilities to create drive images or clone partitions/drives, clonezilla is one of them

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

13 hours ago, aezakmi said:

10. profit

hope it works

Thank you so much!!!!! it worked :D 

10 minutes ago, Diljot Phermaen said:

Thank you so much!!!!! it worked :D 

NICE

the old method never fails B|

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB