Xbox One Controller USB durability?

Reubenno

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a controller for Gamecube emulated games and things like the Telltale game series and the Batman Arkham series.

I've been looking at the Xbox One controller with the wired USB connection (I'm still on Windows 8.1 and Amazon UK don't stock the 2016 bluetooth version) so the USB connection is my only option.

The Xbox One controller is £40 whereas the wired version of the 360 is £60, hence my decision to go for the Xbox One (alonside it's improved build quality and better triggers).

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the durability of the connection as I've read online about many usb ports breaking or becoming loose.

If anybody has any insight into this, or personal experience with the controller I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

I just want you to know that you can't just buy an Xbox One controller, plug it in and play.

Oh well yeah you can... until it runs out of battery.

Microsoft being greedy, the controllers run with AA batteries in it. Ofcourse, those won't recharge with the USB cable.

That's why you need to buy the propietary rechargeable battery kit seperately if you want to even charge your controller.

I have the controller since 2 years now, with a wireless adapter though. But as for the USB port, never had trouble

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

11 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

I just want you to know that you can't just buy an Xbox One controller, plug it in and play.

Microsoft being greedy, the controllers run with AA batteries in it. Ofcourse, those won't recharge with the USB cable.

That's why you need to buy the propietary rechargeable battery kit seperately if you want to even charge your controller.

I have the controller since 2 years now, with a wireless adapter though. But as for the USB port, never had trouble

Thanks for your insight, however from what I can tell, you don't need batteries if you are running the device from the USB port? I won't usually use the wireless functionality anyway so the lack of a rechargable battery won't affect me much.

1 minute ago, Reubenno said:

Thanks for your insight, however from what I can tell, you don't need batteries if you are running the device from the USB port? I won't usually use the wireless functionality anyway so the lack of a rechargable battery won't affect me much.

No, the controller will stop working when its empty. The only thing the cable will provide you is a connection to your PC, but it won't provide power to your Controller. 

If you want to recharge your controller per USB, you need to buy that stupid battery kit

5 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

No, the controller will stop working when its empty. The only thing the cable will provide you is a connection to your PC, but it won't provide power to your Controller. 

If you want to recharge your controller per USB, you need to buy that stupid battery kit

Ah okay, it's just that this thread suggests otherwise

1 hour ago, Reubenno said:

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a controller for Gamecube emulated games and things like the Telltale game series and the Batman Arkham series.

Hm, Gamecube Controller with USB adaptor?!

Or the Nintendo Pro Controller.

Or Playstation 4 Controller.

Maybe Playstation 3 Controller

Though you have to configure them with the Software...

I've been looking at the Xbox One controller with the wired USB connection (I'm still on Windows 8.1 and Amazon UK don't stock the 2016 bluetooth version) so the USB connection is my only option.

One Controller does NOT work with Windows 8.1!

So you have go look for another option.

One is the XBox 360 controller, another is the Playstation 4 Controller...

And to be honest, the one with the shiny thing around the XBox Button looks better than the newer one.

And IMO also feels a bit better as the Plastic is smoother while the other one feels rough.

The Xbox One controller is £40 whereas the wired version of the 360 is £60, hence my decision to go for the Xbox One (alonside it's improved build quality and better triggers).

Well, you have two choices:

a) go for another Controller. Playstation 4, Switch Pro or a 3rd Party one

b) update to WIndows 10.

As for the "better Triggers" My Fingers hurt when I use the XBox Triggers for a longer time because they are realtively small.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the durability of the connection as I've read online about many usb ports breaking or becoming loose.

If anybody has any insight into this, or personal experience with the controller I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

Yes, Get a different controller or Update to Windows 10!

There might be hacked Drivers for non Windows 10 but for me that didn't work at all.

55 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

ONLY on WIndows 10!

On Windows before 10, you are stuck with a non working device because lack of drivers...

...except if you connect it with Cable and play with that.

Though I'd not recommend that due to the fragility of the µUSB Connector...

You probably never used something other than Windows 10, did you? ;)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

50 minutes ago, Reubenno said:

First you need Windows 10 for the XBox One Controller.

Won't work without it.

Second: Double AA aren't that expensive so you can get the ones at Aldi for 1,59€ or so an 8 pack and live with that for weeks.

When I used the One Controller regularly, the Batteries lasted a couple of days...

Though you don't have Windows 10, wich means that the one Controller isn't an option for you!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

40 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

First you need Windows 10 for the XBox One Controller.

Won't work without it.

Second: Double AA aren't that expensive so you can get the ones at Aldi for 1,59€ or so an 8 pack and live with that for weeks.

When I used the One Controller regularly, the Batteries lasted a couple of days...

Though you don't have Windows 10, wich means that the one Controller isn't an option for you!

Err the controller does work with Windows 8.1. The bluetooth functionality doesn't, but the cabled functionality does, and the Microsoft wireless adaptor now works with Windows 7 and 8.1 as well as Windows 10.

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You probably never used something other than Windows 10, did you?

I did. But, I never used a controller with any OS prior to windows 10 indeed. 

On 8/9/2018 at 2:31 AM, Beer_Nontitju said:

Umm, i own a xbox one controller, you can plug it in and play even if it has no batteries in it, if you use a micro usb cable to connect it to your computer. 

On 9/8/2018 at 12:55 AM, Reubenno said:

Thanks!

Im clumsy clumsy clumsy, I had break a lot of usb conections, and for xbox one controller never broke any, pick a normal version and take a budget cable that you like and fits well(without deataching), Is like a phone, If you had a cable that fits , you will have years of controller , but if you got a cable that doesnt fit, you will end crazy because accidental unplug.
I bought mine on a chinese store for 3 euros, and had another one 5 meters long xD all cheap and without problems

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.