Nvidia SUCKS (especially Surround)

JZStudios

I'm almost starting top hate them as much as Apple. They make technologies, push it as a selling point, it's a huge disappointment and hardly works, then they just drop the ball completely and ignore it forever.

Remember 3D vision? It came out, was a big buzz, and now it SHOULD be relatively easy and cheap to run, yet they completely dropped it off the face of the earth and offer absolutely zero support it. I digress.

My biggest gripe is Nvidia Surround. It's total donkey sh...stuff. To start with, I have 1 TN panel and 2 IPS panels. The IPS panels ALWAYS start with low range HDMI color, which was something that they didn't give the option to fix for so long that someone in the community had to make a program to regedit Nvidia control panel to turn on full color. Thanks geniuses. Since it just inexplicably auto defaults to low range, occasionally I'll just notice that my monitors look weird and have to go into the control panel to fix them. The fun part is, when I go into surround mode (which is a pain in the ass I'll be getting to) it again auto defaults my side monitors to low range, so I have to use aforementioned regedit program and restart my PC otherwise the colors are blatantly off.

So, the actual setup of surround is annoying as hell too. It NEVER remembers anything about your setup, which I find amazing. Any time I plug or unplug, change inputs, whatever with my monitors, Win7 remembers the layout for anything I've previously used without any setup. It just recognizes when the 3 monitors + AVR are plugged in, what goes where, what's the main display, and duplicates my AVR with the side monitor so I don't have an invisible, inaccessible "monitor." It even recognizes when I have my AVR switched over to my PS4 and my main monitor on a different input and adjust accordingly and appropriately. Nvidia... it has more memory loss than a geriatric in a coma with Alzheimers. It never remembers a single great Hoover Dam setting once. Every time you open the god forsaken time vampire it's a game of setting everything up over and over and over again. Bill Murray spends less time in Groundhog Day

To get to the point, checking the box to Span Displays always only enables 2 of 3(+1 virtual AVR) monitors. EVERY TIME. I then have to close literally every program I have open for god knows what reason to adjust the thing I've already set up 150 times before. After doing that, Nvidia Control panel may or may not decide to freeze, which may or may not require a reboot which is a crap shoot if it actually stays in surround or not. Let's assume it doesn't freeze or crash, and actually works properly. It never turns the AVR back on, and I've completely given up on trying to use Control Panel to fix that. It's just quicker and easier (and less prone to freezing/crashing) to use the Windows Screen Resolution. Using the Nvidia Control Panel, it's prone to inexplicably making the AVR with no monitor the primary, and just tossing itself over to that so I can't change anything on it.

After tootling about in games in surround since it's useless for absolutely anything else you get to deal with the joy of turning Surround off. They can't possibly screw that up right? Wrong sucka! It's total hot dumpster fire like everything else. It bafflingly makes only my side monitor and AVR "visible" and makes the AVR primary. Again, using Nvidia Control Panel to fix their own mess doesn't work, so I try Windows Screen Resolution. Oh joy, the windows open on the AVR. Time to grasp at straws until I click on the toolbar to drag it over. I can make my side monitor primary, but then clicking apply sends the window to the AVR... Brilliant. I can unplug my AVR and the rest of my monitors turn back on. Oh, great, just plug my AVR back in... oh... it turned the other 2 back off and I'm back at square one. Well what about just turning all the monitors to extended? Hmm. They're all randomly ordered and again the windows on the AVR I can't access. Well let's try just duplicating the AVR on a 50/50 guess on which of the two monitors is the correct one.

It's just a constant and never ending source of frustration and self mutilation. They have hotkeys, but the same issues still exist. It tends to remember your screen setup going into surround, but never getting out of it. It also has the really cool effect of somehow enabling a Windows legacy thing where marching ants (dashed lines) appear around whatever your last clicked desktop icon was. I guess it's because you used the keyboard shortcut, and somehow that makes Windows think your navigating with a keyboard instead of a mouse...

The whole thing just freaking sucks, it's been years, people have never stopped complaining about it, and Nvidias shown absolutely zero interest in fixing any of their software issues, but they'll push Geforce Experience and a dumb Nvidia account down your throat which is entirely unnecessary and people want removed...

Some other fun tidbits, color correction on surround? Not a chance. Every monitor has it's own color corrected values and Surround stupidly only uses 1 profile. If you have 3 of exactly the same monitor it might not be so noticeable, but if your monitors are different at all it's real annoying looking at something that should be a solid color and instead changes between every screen. It also doesn't work with monitors of differing resolutions, or orientations, which AMD supports.

TLDR: Nvidia needs to fix their sh..stuff and actually support their selling features. I'm told that AMD is doing it pretty well.

#Muricaparrotgang

Why change or fix anything if everyone and their mother keeps buying and recommending nvidia to everyone? The list of crap nvidia has messed up and keeps messed up is endless. Stop buying their cards and eventually they'll fix it, maybe. Keep buying their cards and you can keep waiting for fixes... that's how it works.

I have no signature

14 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Just wait until Jensen hears about your rant!

Deus Ex flashbacks ensue.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, Helly said:

Why change or fix anything if everyone and their mother keeps buying and recommending nvidia to everyone? The list of crap nvidia has messed up and keeps messed up is endless. Stop buying their cards and eventually they'll fix it, maybe. Keep buying their cards and you can keep waiting for fixes... that's how it works.

That's the unfortunate part. The hardware is fine, if not the best, but their software support is pathetic.

On another note, I also installed AMD Prorender on my brothers laptop for use with Solidworks, but Nvidia doesn't properly support OpenCL I believe it was, even though it's available. They just... don't support it.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

That's the unfortunate part. The hardware is fine, if not the best, but their software support is pathetic.

On another note, I also installed AMD Prorender on my brothers laptop for use with Solidworks, but Nvidia doesn't properly support OpenCL I believe it was, even though it's available. They just... don't support it.

Well to be fair AMD software is the same, I had a 480 and radeon control panel was and still is a mess... config lost every few updates and not just general config , fan configuration , oc's , preferences all, upgrade to latest version, more crashes worse efficency.... Artifacting gpu at high demand (ultra pubg)..... Nvidia is bad at software or just gpu brands forget about software...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Well to be fair AMD software is the same, I had a 480 and radeon control panel was and still is a mess... config lost every few updates and not just general config , fan configuration , oc's , preferences all, upgrade to latest version, more crashes worse efficency.... Artifacting gpu at high demand (ultra pubg)..... Nvidia is bad at software or just gpu brands forget about software...

Hmm. I've heard that Eyefinity works pretty well though. It is pretty insane how they can have such terrible hardware.

#Muricaparrotgang

Well an example that drives me mad about amd:

5toCkFV.jpg

Target temperature and max temperature, to control temperatures to put a limit temp (if I go bellow that ramp up fans to max) you would think its easy put target to 70 and max to 80 and the gpu will try to go to 70 and if goes to 80 will ramp to 100? right? WRONG: To do that you need to put target to 80 and max to 70.... fuck logic (tested I've mined with my 480 1 year @ 70º)

And rpm target? just bs. rpm's you want is like target + 1000 xD 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

3 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Well an example that drives me mad about amd:

Target temperature and max temperature, to control temperatures to put a limit temp (if I go bellow that ramp up fans to max) you would think its easy put target to 70 and max to 80 and the gpu will try to go to 70 and if goes to 80 will ramp to 100? right? WRONG: To do that you need to put target to 80 and max to 70.... fuck logic (tested I've mined with my 480 1 year @ 70º)

Lol. I was using the Asus GPUtweak, but recently switched to MSI afterburner. Almost feel like that should be something built into Windows, even just a super basic version. Trying to figure out what program you need to use and fan setups are a rabbit hole.

#Muricaparrotgang

• 2 months later...

I just installed my 1080TI for a triple screen setup... 

I knew nvidia was behind AMD un eyefinity vs surround view config

But didnt expect that soooo much behind!!!!

It almost reminds to the XP times.. 

Man! and I was this close to get an AMD Pro Duo... 

But no! So many people praising nvidia could not be wrong... 

7 hours ago, LDX said:

I just installed my 1080TI for a triple screen setup... 

I knew nvidia was behind AMD un eyefinity vs surround view config

But didnt expect that soooo much behind!!!!

It almost reminds to the XP times.. 

Man! and I was this close to get an AMD Pro Duo... 

But no! So many people praising nvidia could not be wrong... 

I ONLY got Nvidia because programs (Mainly Blender) use Cuda cores for acceleration because Nvidia gives companies shitloads of money to not support OpenCL, which AMD can use. Blender added this later, and I think the AMD cards actually perform at or better than Nvidia.

Nvidia could also support OpenCL since its... open... it's in the name... but they won't because then things might start using it which would give AMD the advantage.

Although I've heard that Eyefinity allows for mismatched vertical resolutions, and I'm not even sure if surround would support a widescreen center and two 16x9 sides.

I've also seen this video since, and it'll make you hate Nvidia. There's one on Intel too. AMD over the years has actually been fairly open and kept their nose clean. Most of the partners that Nvidia has had they screwed over and blamed for their failures, and the partners all hate Nvidia.

#Muricaparrotgang