What hardware does hardware encoding use exactly?

Go to solution Solved by jooroth18,

Software encoding uses the CPU to encode and hardware encoding uses Nvidia Cuda through NVENC. Generally, Software encoding looks much better but hardware encoding is much more efficent. Since you have a ryzen 1700, with 16 threads, just use software encoding.

I am looking to start streaming and I'm not sure if i should use software encoding or hardware encoding.  I have a ryzen 1700 and a 1060 3gb

Nvidia NVENC, Intel Quick Sync Video are two most common technologies. You only have the first available.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Nvidia NVENC, Intel Quick Sync Video are two most common technologies.

Just to clarify to the OP: Quick Sync Video is only available, if you have an Intel CPU with built-in GPU. Both NVIDIA and AMD, on the other hand, offer a hardware-encoder/-decoder in all their current gaming-GPU; since you have a GTX1060, you already have the NVENC-encoder and can use that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Just to clarify to the OP: Quick Sync Video is only available, if you have an Intel CPU with built-in GPU. Both NVIDIA and AMD, on the other hand, offer a hardware-encoder/-decoder in all their current gaming-GPU; since you have a GTX1060, you already have the NVENC-encoder and can use that.

Edited my post already :P

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Software encoding uses the CPU to encode and hardware encoding uses Nvidia Cuda through NVENC. Generally, Software encoding looks much better but hardware encoding is much more efficent. Since you have a ryzen 1700, with 16 threads, just use software encoding.

Hardware encoding takes advantage of a specific part of the GPU which allows hardware-level encoding and decoding of certain videos. It has different names for its different implementations (Intel QuickSync, Nvidia NVENC and AMD VCE) but they all do the same thing. They enable significantly faster and lighter encoding and decoding at the cost of quality when encoding.

Software encoding makes use of the CPU instead and doesn't rely on using hardware that can do encoding to do encoding. Usually, the quality is significantly higher at the cost of performance if your encoding settings get more demanding.

Depending on what software you use, I'd recommend different things. Using Shadowplay? Well, use the GPU. Using OBS? Play around with settings and use the 1700.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hardware encoding takes advantage of a specific part of the GPU which allows hardware-level encoding and decoding of certain videos. It has different names for its different implementations (Intel QuickSync, Nvidia NVENC and AMD VCE) but they all do the same thing. They enable significantly faster and lighter encoding and decoding at the cost of quality when encoding.

Software encoding makes use of the CPU instead and doesn't rely on using hardware that can do encoding to do encoding. Usually, the quality is significantly higher at the cost of performance if your encoding settings get more demanding.

Depending on what software you use, I'd recommend different things. Using Shadowplay? Well, use the GPU. Using OBS? Play around with settings and use the 1700.

Well, with higher bit rates, the quality isn't necessarily lower, and would still be quite applicable for offline recording. For live streaming, going with a software encoder gives the highest quality for a given (usually very limited) bit rate.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, jooroth18 said:

thanks!

thats just what i needed

Whether or not hardware encoding ends up being used is another question. After Effects was supposed to use CUDA on my system and ended up just pinning my CPU at 100% on all 6 cores with the GPU doing absolutely nothing.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580