Cooler for I5-8600k

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
4 minutes ago, Surak said:

@LoGiCalDrm Thanks. Do you think it would be good enough to handle full 5GHz OC?

I don't know for sure, I haven't really looked at what are average OCs people are getting. You might be able to get that, but I imagine temps aren't going to be great. You really need big cooler. In that sense Kraken might be better.

I am working on new gaming PC and looking for a cooler but the site from which I am buying everything (live in spain - https://www.pccomponentes.com/  -- you may need VPN to access, they seem to be region blocked) don't have many air cooler options. I think the best air cooler option that fits my case is the Phanteks TC12DX. Would it be enough for moderate overclocking? What about OC up to 5GHz? Or should I go with a AIO, if so, which one. 

Also how much OC would you recommend for a complete beginner? 

Please don't recommend things which aren't on the site if possible.

Thanks for any help.

CPU: Intel i5-8600K
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5X
Storage: Crucial MX500 SSD 250GB SATA + Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB SATA3
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Case: NZXT H500i USB 3.1 Black

Overclocking results will depend on how well chip itself performs. The TC12DX is by far the best cooler in that price point. U12S would be another option but price difference isn't really into its advantage.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Overclocking results will depend on how well chip itself performs. The TC12DX is by far the best cooler in that price point. U12S would be another option but price difference isn't really into its advantage.

@LoGiCalDrm Thanks. Do you think it would be good enough to handle full 5GHz OC?

Otherwise I'm going with NZXT Kraken X62, mostly for the looks

4 minutes ago, Surak said:

I don't know for sure, I haven't really looked at what are average OCs people are getting. You might be able to get that, but I imagine temps aren't going to be great. You really need big cooler. In that sense Kraken might be better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ok, thanks. Going for Kraken. It's aesthetically perfect IMO.

I'd go for the Noctua U9S instead, you'll be OK up to 4.8 I think, mainly to tame core temps and not just pkg

Also how much OC would you recommend for a complete beginner?

you may think overclocking is just cranking up the multi to 50 and pumping more voltage into the whole CPU, it's not, you'll need to do that first and then there's a lot of fine tuning, you'll need to manually set every setting in the CPU, find the correct voltages (it's not just vcore) tune latencies and apply offsets

a lot of guys say "oh well I'm gonna overclock" and do what I mentioned first, and they end up with crazy temps and unstable overclocks, some even use the sh*t "auto oc" utilities that manufacturers included in mobos, you shouldn't, READ guides first, learn how to config the CPU and only then try to OC

go for 100MHz over the stock clock first, test, adjust, repeat

vccio and vccsa are important

oh and only go for the kraken if you're looking for a dead pump in like a year

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I'd go for the Noctua U9S instead, you'll be OK up to 4.8 I think, mainly to tame core temps and not just pkg

you may think overclocking is just cranking up the multi to 50 and pumping more voltage into the whole CPU, it's not, you'll need to do that first and then there's a lot of fine tuning, you'll need to manually set every setting in the CPU, find the correct voltages (it's not just vcore) tune latencies and apply offsets

a lot of guys say "oh well I'm gonna overclock" and do what I mentioned first, and they end up with crazy temps and unstable overclocks, some even use the sh*t "auto oc" utilities that manufacturers included in mobos, you shouldn't, READ guides first, learn how to config the CPU and only then try to OC

go for 100MHz over the stock clock first, test, adjust, repeat

vccio and vccsa are important

oh and only go for the kraken if you're looking for a dead pump in like a year

@aezakmi Thank you very much for the info, I understand it's not so simple, and I'm only going to do it once I am fully informed.

Is what you say about the kraken true. I was literally about to hit pay, but now you have made me rethink. I don't really have alternatives though... I mean it's got great reviews.

You have the 110i, is that good? better really than x62. Are the default fans loud?