basic euqipment /strategies for video podcast (teaching/lecture)

Hi,

I am a teacher and I would like to record my lectures/lab experiments so that I can share with others and in the event something unavoidable happens, I can ask the students to view the podcast/video. Can anyone suggest equipment which I am missing/need to get.

In order to save cost, I think I will list down things I have first:

Video/Audio:

Logitech C615 webcam

Samsung Note 3 (hope upgrade to note 9)

Sony RX100 mk IV

Some tripods

I think I need to get good mic? What about lighting?

If possible, I want to record the podcast video while I give lectures so that I do not waste time recording the same stuff again Usually, when I give lectures, the lecture hall is dark at front in order to aid students to see the projected slides. I will then add the power point and as mall window cut-out of myself in it.

Any strategies/equipment to add in order to make this work? Do I need to spend a lot of time post-processing?

investing in a good mic is a must. For lighting you could use something like LED panels or something like aries. you mostly will just need light on you.

If you can have someone who works in broadcasting or theater come in and help you set it up.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Any suggestions on the equipment itself? I would be giving it a in the lecture hall, so nothing too bulky. Can I just use my Sony rx camera? 

On 7/14/2018 at 9:45 AM, mystvean said:

Any suggestions on the equipment itself? I would be giving it a in the lecture hall, so nothing too bulky. Can I just use my Sony rx camera? 

are you planning to live streaming?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

Personally, for audio I would recommend something like a field recorder and a lapel mic. 

Something like the zoom h1n and even a cheap lapel mic would give good audio. I think this is a better choice than a studio mic + audio interface because it is much less bulky. I also believe it is better than a shotgun mic for your camera because the lapel mic should isolate your voice from the rest of the room better. 

You can definitely find something cheaper than the zoom h1n if you look. I just try to recommend brands I am familiar with and zoom has a great track record with field recorders. 

On 19/07/2018 at 1:46 AM, LaFemmeEnVert said:

are you planning to live streaming?

Nope. 

On 24/07/2018 at 3:42 AM, Omlette said:

Personally, for audio I would recommend something like a field recorder and a lapel mic. 

Something like the zoom h1n and even a cheap lapel mic would give good audio. I think this is a better choice than a studio mic + audio interface because it is much less bulky. I also believe it is better than a shotgun mic for your camera because the lapel mic should isolate your voice from the rest of the room better. 

You can definitely find something cheaper than the zoom h1n if you look. I just try to recommend brands I am familiar with and zoom has a great track record with field recorders. 

Ok. Thanks. Will look into it