Problems with my new 980Ti/Monitor 144hz

kAEDwf

Hello everyone. I recently got a used 980Ti, nothing seems wrong with it, it's working like it should. My problem is that when using my DVI cable, I only get 100hz on my Acer gn246hl.... In nvidia control panel I can see 60/100/120/144 hertz though, but whenever I press 144hz and apply, it loads and then instead of applying it, reverts to 100hz automatically o.O

This is how the DVI port looks on the monitor: zcGyhB4.png and this is how it looks on the graphics card (GTX 980Ti 6GB Reference) vr6anRQ.png

The cable im using looks like the first picture on both ends. My question is, is there any way I can fix this to get 144hz or will I need to buy a new monitor? Im getting so stressed not knowing what to make of this... maybe there's some kind of cable that's 1 side like the first picture and one side like the other picture? I would appreciate any help I can get in this. Buying a new monitor wouldn't be such a HUGE problem, but rahter use my current one and save money.

4 minutes ago, DsfssdfsMain said:

can you post a picture of the dvi cable, or post what type you have? 

It looks exactly like the first picture, 8x3 and then the - at the end. So im guessing thats the DVI-D (Dual link)

It has nothing to do with the port types. The only thing that matters is that both sides support Dual-Link, which they do.

Most likely the cable cannot handle the bandwidth. Are you using the cable that came with the monitor? If not, how long is the cable? Longer DVI cables are less likely to handle high bandwidth.

DVI-D and DVI-I are interchangeable, as far as I know. The extra pins in DVI-I are for analog signals, such as CRT TVs. I don't think the issue is in the cable, but with software interacting between the card, control panel, and monitor.

23 minutes ago, kAEDwf said:

It looks exactly like the first picture, 8x3 and then the - at the end. So im guessing thats the DVI-D (Dual link)

Is dvi the only connection type? I know alot of monitors only do 144hz through display port. 

59 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It has nothing to do with the port types. The only thing that matters is that both sides support Dual-Link, which they do.

Most likely the cable cannot handle the bandwidth. Are you using the cable that came with the monitor? If not, how long is the cable? Longer DVI cables are less likely to handle high bandwidth.

Yes I am using the cable that came with the monitor, as stated under, I had used all the same equipment for my 760 2gb and 144hz worked flawlessly. You sure it can't be anything else?

58 minutes ago, AKPatriot said:

DVI-D and DVI-I are interchangeable, as far as I know. The extra pins in DVI-I are for analog signals, such as CRT TVs. I don't think the issue is in the cable, but with software interacting between the card, control panel, and monitor.

What would you think it is then? When I installed the graphics card, I did a complete uninstall and shutdown before and then installed the lastest certified drivers for my card.

52 minutes ago, ElectroNoob said:

Are all the pins on the cable ok ?

Yes, I literally used the same cable, same monitor 2 days ago with my 760 2gb and 144hz worked perfectly for like 3.5 years.

Im really getting worried that there's a problem with the card port or something.... It's performance is good so I don't think the card is broken or anything.

6 minutes ago, kAEDwf said:

Yes I am using the cable that came with the monitor, as stated under, I had used all the same equipment for my 760 2gb and 144hz worked flawlessly. You sure it can't be anything else?

What would you think it is then? When I installed the graphics card, I did a complete uninstall and shutdown before and then installed the lastest certified drivers for my card.

Yes, I literally used the same cable, same monitor 2 days ago with my 760 2gb and 144hz worked perfectly for like 3.5 years.

Im really getting worried that there's a problem with the card port or something.... It's performance is good so I don't think the card is broken or anything.

Possibly a software issue then...? I'm not sure. Try disconnecting the monitor from power for a few seconds.

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Possibly a software issue then...? I'm not sure. Try disconnecting the monitor from power for a few seconds.

The weird thing is, when I switched the cable around, I got 144hz working for like 10 minutes, I started CSGO and wrote mat_info (gives you alot of info) and it said im running at my resolution at 144hz, but then in my desktop it said I was on 100hz (it had reverted already) it's super fucking weird man :o

Also I don't have Geforce experience installed, only the drivers.

Anyone have any ideas? I thought that maybe the cable was wrong... But since people stopped responding im guessing the only fix is to buy a new monitor? So I could use maybe Displayport instead.