GTX 1080 or 1080 TI for 4K Gaming?

NoodleFish

Recently I've been very aggravated due to the fact that I would need to down scale the settings to play games on my new 4K panel. So I think it's time to swap out my GTX 780 TI for a shinny new 1080 or 1080 TI. However, I was wondering if I should wait until July or August for Nvidia to unveil the Volta line-up, so that the 1080 TI would drop. Should I wait it out for Volta, so that I can buy a 1080 TI or should I just buy a 1080 right now? As of right now, mining does not seem to be an issue to GPU shortages, but might change later on.

Cheers.

What games? a 1080 ti is overkill unless you're playing stupidly badly optimized games.

Can you get one cheap? like $750usd or less? If not just wait a bit longer they are a 2 year old card.

1 minute ago, auspotta said:

What games? a 1080 ti is overkill unless you're playing stupidly badly optimized games.

Can you get one cheap? like $750usd or less? If not just wait a bit longer they are a 2 year old card.

If you are referring to the 1080, I can get one used for 600 CAD.

There's no such thing as too much video card for 4K gaming right now. If you can wait, then wait. If you can't then don't, but even if AMD and Nvidia announce new cards in the next two months, which seems likely, we're not going to get a good price drop on current gen cards until the new ones actually hit the retail channel in enough volume to reduce sales of the old cards, so, christmas-ish, if they're announced soon.

1 minute ago, auspotta said:

I was thinking to get a 1080 TI because I'm pretty aware the 1080 can't push 4k at 60hz, but around 48-57. Only the 1080 TI is capable of doing 60-70.

1 minute ago, RobFRaschke said:

There's no such thing as too much video card for 4K gaming right now. If you can wait, then wait. If you can't then don't, but even if AMD and Nvidia announce new cards in the next two months, which seems likely, we're not going to get a good price drop on current gen cards until the new ones actually hit the retail channel in enough volume to reduce sales of the old cards, so, christmas-ish, if they're announced soon.

Apparently Nvidia is revealing Volta at the Hot Chips Symposium in August 20. Can't wait to tune in and see!

1 minute ago, RobFRaschke said:

If you can wait, then wait

This makes a lot of sense and the LTT tech linked that dropped today notes how NVIDIA has ~300k extra GPU's. You may be able to snag a current gen one for a decent price in a month or two also. AND go for TI if you want to play next gen games in 4k too

15 minutes ago, NoodleFish said:

Recently I've been very aggravated due to the fact that I would need to down scale the settings to play games on my new 4K panel. So I think it's time to swap out my GTX 780 TI for a shinny new 1080 or 1080 TI. However, I was wondering if I should wait until July or August for Nvidia to unveil the Volta line-up, so that the 1080 TI would drop. Should I wait it out for Volta, so that I can buy a 1080 TI or should I just buy a 1080 right now? As of right now, mining does not seem to be an issue to GPU shortages, but might change later on.

Cheers.

I'm on a 1080 right now, no overclock. I'm not the biggest fan of overclocking and I'm playing on a 1440p monitor, 144 hz. I'd personally say go with the 1080ti. you'll have a better chance of keeping up 60 hz in 4k games and when 4k 144hz becomes more available you'll have a graphics card that can push it. That's my 2 cents. 

my 1080 boosts to 2ghz core stock and its still pretty slow in 4k even 1440p games i have to turn shit down to get 60-120fps+