Windows 8 won’t boot

Zirlexer

Hello,

So my neighbours laptop just stopt working after she came back from holiday.

Only windows 8 won’t boot, i can still access the bios.

Does anyone know a solution for this. there are alot of important files on the laptop so i don’t want to lose those files.

Her laptop is the HP Probook 4540s. 

Kind regards,

Jeroen 

I just see the windows logo with the dots loading.

after around 3 minutes give or take i see a quick blue screen saying : there was a problem with start up and needs a restart.

And in like 5 sec in that blue screen it starts restarting.

Re-install windows. From a good working computer, you can download an .ISO file of windows 8 or even windows 10 and install it onto a 8gb or 16gb usb drive. (Microsoft has a windows media creation tool to download and install the setup files onto the usb for you). You can boot from the usb and re-install windows and there will be an option to keep all files, do NOT format, then you will just have to re-install all the applications.

1 minute ago, Zirlexer said:

I just see the windows logo with the dots loading.

after around 3 minutes give or take i see a quick blue screen saying : there was a problem with start up and needs a restart.

And in like 5 sec in that blue screen it starts restarting.

Sounds like Windows is corrupted, startup repair almost never works. If you re-install windows and still have issues, could be a failing HDD

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

1 minute ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Re-install windows. From a good working computer, you can download an .ISO file of windows 8 or even windows 10 and install it onto a 8gb or 16gb usb drive. (Microsoft has a windows media creation tool to download and install the setup files onto the usb for you). You can boot from the usb and re-install windows and there will be an option to keep all files, do NOT format, then you will just have to re-install all the applications.

Sounds like Windows is corrupted, startup repair almost never works. If you re-install windows and still have issues, could be a failing HDD

how can i download an windows iso file? 

i myself have windows 10.

4 minutes ago, Zirlexer said:

how can i download an windows iso file? 

i myself have windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You may have to do some digging for Windows 8 file, but it should accept Win 10 just fine, especially if the windows license is on an OEM motherboard

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

So i just download that program and put windows 10 on my 16gb usb.

than put the usb in the laptop and boot it from the usb and everything would be fine maybe ?

Basically, it's worth a shot. There's no guarantees when troubleshooting, but that works for me most of the time. You just put a usb in your computer and run that tool, it will download the win 10 files and copy them to your usb, you just need to pick which drive the usb is.

Also, Yes you have to re-install all the applications, sit through some updates, and re-set up any personal configurations they had (which can be a pain), but all the files on there will be saved and accessible after you re-install windows, if that's the most important thing.

1 minute ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Basically, it's worth a shot. There's no guarantees when troubleshooting, but that works for me most of the time. You just put a usb in your computer and run that tool, it will download the win 10 files and copy them to your usb, you just need to pick which drive the usb is.

Also, Yes you have to re-install all the applications, sit through some updates, and re-set up any personal configurations they had (which can be a pain), but all the files on there will be saved and accessible after you re-install windows, if that's the most important thing.

I will try it. as long as the files are safe. 

thank you for your help.

i will teel you if it worked or not.