Noctua NH-D9L or AIO Liquid?

Bugses

I could choose between the Liquid cooling sub or this one, so if I put the topic in the wrong one, then I apologize. 

I currently got a Noctua NH-D15 on my 5820K, but it's too big for my taste. Because of my setup, it dosent fit properly, and therefor I'm kinda blocking one of the fans on my 1070 a bit. 

So I'm getting a new cooler. Should I go for the smaller D9L or a AIO Liquid? I couldn't care less, how my case looks inside, as long as the airflow is alright, so the looks doesn't matter. I got the Fractal Design R5 case, so there should be room. Also, my cpu is OCed to 4,4ghz, if that matters. 

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

6 minutes ago, Bugses said:

I could choose between the Liquid cooling sub or this one, so if I put the topic in the wrong one, then I apologize. 

I currently got a Noctua NH-D15 on my 5820K, but it's too big for my taste. Because of my setup, it dosent fit properly, and therefor I'm kinda blocking one of the fans on my 1070 a bit. 

So I'm getting a new cooler. Should I go for the smaller D9L or a AIO Liquid? I couldn't care less, how my case looks inside, as long as the airflow is alright, so the looks doesn't matter. I got the Fractal Design R5 case, so there should be room. Also, my cpu is OCed to 4,4ghz, if that matters. 

I think the AIO would be better. The D9L might be too small for the 5820K oc'd.

This makes no sense.. how is your CPU cooler blocking one of the fans for your 1070?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This makes no sense.. how is your CPU cooler blocking one of the fans for your 1070?

The CPU cooler isn't the one blocking, but it's a part of it. Because of its size, I had to mount my GPU on my x8 socket instead of the x16 socket, which is at the top. Which resulted in my PSU nearly blocking one of the GPU fans. 

If that dosen't explain it, then I can take a picture of it.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Check the sizes but there are other Noctua models between the 9 and 15. The 9 would be fine at stock but if you OC much at all it will likely be limiting.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Check the sizes but there are other Noctua models between the 9 and 15. The 9 would be fine at stock but if you OC much at all it will likely be limiting.

Yeah, it would suck if I couldn't keep my OC. I guess I'll have to measure properly to pick the largest one possible.

With the define R5, I would recommend you to get a 280mm AIO if you can. As that will be equal to if not slightly better cooling performance than the Noctua NH-D15. Anything less will likely be on par or slightly worse since the NH-D15 is the cream of the crop when it comes to tower coolers. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

With the define R5, I would recommend you to get a 280mm AIO if you can. As that will be equal to if not slightly better cooling performance than the Noctua NH-D15. Anything less will likely be on par or slightly worse since the NH-D15 is the cream of the crop when it comes to tower coolers. 

I just checked the Fractal site, and regarding my case they are saying:

280 mm - Can only be fastened with 6 out of 8 screws. Requires removal of both HDD cages from the front position. Length of radiator restricted to 322mm with the ODD cage still in place.

Which is fine, since I don't have my HDD cages in anyway. I don't know how much the last 2 screws will matter.

Should I get a whole new case too?

4 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Scythe Mugen 5 would be likely the biggest cooler without issues with DIMM slots or uppermost expansion card slot.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8320/scythe-mugen-5-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index5.html

Any 140mm fanned one is basically guaranteed to be at least bumping card in uppermost card slot.

So it sounds to me, that I should go the AIO way?

21 minutes ago, Bugses said:

The CPU cooler isn't the one blocking, but it's a part of it. Because of its size, I had to mount my GPU on my x8 socket instead of the x16 socket, which is at the top. Which resulted in my PSU nearly blocking one of the GPU fans. 

If that dosen't explain it, then I can take a picture of it.

Yeah, thats the issue with bigger air coolers. D15S would let you use 1st PCIe slot. Also I think D9L is too small. Is Noctua your only option? U14S will fit fine according to Noctuas compatibility checker. You may need to turn it 90deg, but that has 0 effect on performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, Bugses said:

I just checked the Fractal site, and regarding my case they are saying:

280 mm - Can only be fastened with 6 out of 8 screws. Requires removal of both HDD cages from the front position. Length of radiator restricted to 322mm with the ODD cage still in place.

Which is fine, since I don't have my HDD cages in anyway. I don't know how much the last 2 screws will matter.

Should I get a whole new case too?

nah. The 2 screws wont matter and make any difference. SHould be just fine with 6 of 8. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Bugses said:

So it sounds to me, that I should go the AIO way?

Adding second fan for push-pull in Scythe could likely match your current Noctua, but you certainly won't get any more performance without having lots of surface area to dissipate heat to air.

29 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

YIs Noctua your only option?

No, not at all. I just love their performance and mounting system :)

29 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

nah. The 2 screws wont matter and make any difference. SHould be just fine with 6 of 8. 

That's great, thanks :)

29 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Adding second fan for push-pull in Scythe could likely match your current Noctua, but you certainly won't get any more performance without having lots of surface area to dissipate heat to air.

When I Google the Scythe Mugen 5 in my country, I get the Scythe Mugen 5 and a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. 

Do you know the difference?

1 minute ago, Bugses said:

When I Google the Scythe Mugen 5 in my country, I get the Scythe Mugen 5 and a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. 

Do you know the difference?

Rev. B (5100 in model number) comes with AM4 compatible mounting kit.

Have you tried rotating the cooler to intake from the bottom and exhaust out the top of the case?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried rotating the cooler to intake from the bottom and exhaust out the top of the case?

I don't think I tried it, when I installed it. I'll take a look at doing that later, thanks :)