Antivirus: is it necessary?

hi guys so yeah my question is: are antivirus programs important or necessary? and if yes, is having an antivirus program on your pc enough or do u need some other programs as well to protect your pc.  am currently building a pc rn so just wanna be sure. my os is windows 10 home 64 bit

In general combine smart browser habits and no illegal downloads and you should be good enough coupled with Windows defender to stop most attacks. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Windows Defender is as good as any free antivirus nowadays. As good as most paid ones, too. With Avast, AVG and Panda basically becoming massive ad delivery systems that just happen to block a few viruses, Defender is where it's at.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I use Malwarebytes free and windows defender and i've been fine, as long as you don't go to sketchy webistes or download illegal stuff, you will be fine

thanks for the input guys so basically i just need windows defender right? no need to download other services?

So long as you're smart about what you click on and what sites you visit defender will serve you well enough. Now if the system gets infected then you may need to install something to get rid of it.