Looking for a 4k IPS Monitor, ir is 1440p the better option?

Umbranoctuna

Wich is better?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Wich is better?

• 4K60
    • 1440p144

i started looking for a new monitor a while ago. I tested most of the Acer Predaot lineup, but was disapointed with all of them.

Some had terrible colours and/or strong backlight bleeding

I have a fear , that 1080p content will look terrible on a 1440P monitor, thats why i first looked for a 4k Monitor.

But how does that work? will the content be stretched to fit the 1444P resolution, like Games do when you set them to 720p on a 1080p Monitor?

Or is it just going to have some black borders?

i can live with black borders but not with some strechted Videos.

What feels nicer, a 4K 60Hz or a 1440p 144Hz Monitor?

Is G-Sync necessary?

Also i  feel like IPS is a must, since all the TN ones i have tried, looked realy bad.

Does anyone know/own a great Monitor he can recommend?

Price range for me would be up to 800€

1 minute ago, Umbranoctuna said:

What feels nicer, a 4K 60Hz or a 1440p 144Hz Monitor?

Is G-Sync necessary?

Also i  feel like IPS is a must, since all the TN ones i have tried, looked realy bad.

Does anyone know/own a great Monitor he can recommend?

Price range for me would be up to 800€

What are your PC's specs, I don't know if your GPU can even handle 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz gaming, but in general:

- If your monitor is for gaming, go for the 1440p 144Hz monitor

- If your monitor is for content creation, go for the 4K 60Hz monitor

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

7 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

What are your PC's specs, I don't know if your GPU can even handle 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz gaming, but in general:

I7 4770K

GTX 980

16 GB Ram

i will get the 80 version on the next gen Nvidia Cards and a monitor would be the next investment after that.

And what about G-sync?

And can you recomend any good monitors?

21 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

4k60 is better for all types of productivity tasks, not just content creation :) 

After making the jump to 144hz a few years ago, there’s really no going back. If you are going to use the monitor for productivity primarily, however, then 4K 60Hz will probably be the better option over 1440p 144Hz, just for that extra bit of clarity. If you are going to use it for gaming, however, 1440p 144Hz all the way. I personally own the Dell S2716DG (revision A04). It’s 1440p, 144Hz, TN, and 1ms. After I messed with some color settings for about 5-10 minutes, I got the monitor to display really nice colors, for a TN panel; it’s the nicest TN panel I’ve seen. I would highly recommend, especially since I got it for $475. If you really can’t stand a TN panel tho, and if you’ve already looked at the Acer Predator lineup, the ASUS PG279Q is a good option from what I’ve heard, although some say it is plagued with many of the same problems as the Acer monitors have. That’s one of main reasons why I went for the Dell monitor actually; their QC is incredible.

Edit: Gsync isn’t really needed but it’s really nice to have. I know that you said you were going to upgrade to the new GPUs whenever they roll out, but for the time being, having Gsync will really help your GTX 980 to provide a smooth experience in demanding situations.

Edited by KSP

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

45 minutes ago, KSP said:

After making the jump to 144hz a few years ago, there’s really no going back. If you are going to use the monitor for productivity primarily, however, then 4K 60Hz will probably be the better option over 1440p 144Hz, just for that extra bit of clarity. If you are going to use it for gaming, however, 1440p 144Hz all the way. I personally own the Dell S2716DG (revision A04). It’s 1440p, 144Hz, TN, and 1ms. After I messed with some color settings for about 5-10 minutes, I got the monitor to display really nice colors, for a TN panel; it’s the nicest TN panel I’ve seen. I would highly recommend, especially since I got it for $475. If you really can’t stand a TN panel tho, and if you’ve already looked at the Acer Predator lineup, the ASUS PG279Q is a good option from what I’ve heard, although some say it is plagued with many of the same problems as the Acer monitors have. That’s one of main reasons why I went for the Dell monitor actually; their QC is incredible.

Edit: Gsync isn’t really needed but it’s really nice to have. I know that you said you were going to upgrade to the new GPUs whenever they roll out, but for the time being, having Gsync will really help your GTX 980 to provide a smooth experience in demanding situations.

And what about 1080p content like Youtube, or downloaded movies?

How is that going to look on 1440p?

Does it get scaled up over the entire screen and look mushy, or will i get a 1:1 Ratio with borders at the side and top?

2 hours ago, Umbranoctuna said:

And what about 1080p content like Youtube, or downloaded movies?

How is that going to look on 1440p?

Does it get scaled up over the entire screen and look mushy, or will i get a 1:1 Ratio with borders at the side and top?

I honestly don’t watch a lot of YouTube/Netflix on my pc, but most of the 1080p content I have seen on my monitor just gets scaled up to fit the entire screen. The resolution/clarity of the image is a bit odd at first but you get used to it after a few minutes. There were only a few, if any, instances that I can recall where it produced black bars on the borders instead of scaling up. 

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |