HDMI 1.4 to DVI Dual link? Dell 3007wfp

Bulletdropped

I recently bought a dell 3007wfp 30" monitor for my aging Clevo P150hm laptop, which I've maxed out with upgrades over the years(since 2011) when I got it. Its got a GTX 680m, the fastest compatible cpu 2960xm and 16gb of ram. The monitor works great, and it was super cheap, like $120 cheap. I'm running it off the DVI dual-link port.

I was so happy with the monitor that i found another one and decided to get it to use as a secondary. I prime now'd an "HDMI to DVI dual-link" cable and plugged in the second monitor. Well as some of you may know, these monitors need a true DVI dual-link to display at the native resolution 2560x1600@60hz. Apparently the HDMI from my laptop puts out a DVI single-link signal and the monitor detects it and then displays at 1280x800. Now I tried a few tricks like using the custom resolution utility by toastyx to trick it into work, and nothing is working, although i did get it display some crazy crazy lines. So I searched and searched, what I found was that an active display port to dual-link DVI adapter has been shown to work with these monitors, but that still leaves me with getting the HDMI to display port. I would think that if the active adapter can actually output a true dual-link DVI signal, it wouldn't matter what the input is. I also think I should be able to force the 2560x1600 out of my HDMI port.

The other possible solution, and something that would warrant getting a third monitor would be an LVDS to dual-link DVI solution. My laptops screen is dead so its serving as a desktop with integrated ups now. I mostly use it for doing 3d modeling, CAD work and playing league and Pubg. Also I'm not shy of splicing together my own cables but before I do that id need to understand better what would need to happen to make this type of cable even work.

I figured this info might interest others as well, seeing as these monitors are cheap, have low latency, have more than enough resolution, and abundant on the used market. and seeing as most gpu's nowadays don't have multiple DVI dual-link ports, and most are HDMI display port or USB type C.

The trouble with HDMI is that it's always a single link signal. In fact, DVI single link and HDMI are one and the same. An active adapter is the only thing you can still try. By the way, you mean HDMI 1.4 I hope? HDMI 1.2 can't do 2560x1600 and is rather antiquated.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Sorry it is 1.4 HDMI, my mistake. So is it possible to get hdmi 1.4 to display port?

So I did a bit more research, and found this.

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2342/hdmi_1.4_to_displayport_1.1_adapter/

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2371/displayport_to_dvi_dual_link_converter_active_adapter/

Im going to order these from amazon and give them a try, if it works its worth it, cause ive got a small laptop with mini hdmi as well. if it doesnt work ill just return them. Also looks like they are selling the newer versions of these on amazon, the CAC-2330 is the hdmi 1.4 to dp1.1, the spec sheet says up to 4k@30hz or 1080p@120hz, which is basically the same pixel clock as 2560x1600@60hz. The CAC-1055 is the displayport to DVI-dual link with up to 330mhz output and 2560x1600@60hz.

https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-CAC-2330-DisplayPort-Adapter-Female/dp/B076KXYKN2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527666663&sr=8-2&keywords=club3d+hdmi+1.4+to+displayport+1.1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCQLDC4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Ill let you know what happens. Should be here on Thursday

I think usually this sort of thing would not work, but because its raw video signal being actively converted it did!

• 3 months later...

So I got a similar issue. I have a laptop with only HDMI. So I decided to get the hdmi to dvi (amazon basics said it was dual). I said to myself ok well If I can't get 2560x1600 at least full HD would be better. I thought since the maximum is that high it could at least get FHD. I cannot get above the 1280x800. 

Someone replied on dell 

"The 11 year old 3007WFP is an "auto" sensing monitor. If it senses SL (Single Link) anywhere in the chain (ports, cables), it will only do 1280x800 60Hz. The 3007WFP was only validated to do 2560x1600 60Hz when connected directly to a computer video card DVI-D DL out port, using a DVI-D DL to DVI-D DL cable. Any other combination of ports or cables could result in the 3007WFP not "sensing" DVI-D DL and reverting to 1280x800 60Hz."

So what I want to know is, and im pretty sure you said it. Those two products you listed, the hdmi to display port, then display port to dvi . Allowed you to get the full 2560x1600?

My laptop is Hp 450 g2 and I do not know how to see what version HDMI it is.

HDMI
  • Supports direct connection to high-definition displays with up to 1920 x 1200@60Hz resolution and 7-channel audio with one convenient cable (not included)
I just went to my product page and saw this.

But you see, when i go to that website i dont even see the correct chipset my laptop has. I has a sticker that says i7. My computer says Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

then Crucial says

8 9 generation, so what im trying to get at, is how do I know its actually limited to FHD, my hdmi port. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2018 at 11:23 AM, Bike Mi Vie said:

So I got a similar issue. I have a laptop with only HDMI. So I decided to get the hdmi to dvi (amazon basics said it was dual). I said to myself ok well If I can't get 2560x1600 at least full HD would be better. I thought since the maximum is that high it could at least get FHD. I cannot get above the 1280x800. 

Someone replied on dell 

"The 11 year old 3007WFP is an "auto" sensing monitor. If it senses SL (Single Link) anywhere in the chain (ports, cables), it will only do 1280x800 60Hz. The 3007WFP was only validated to do 2560x1600 60Hz when connected directly to a computer video card DVI-D DL out port, using a DVI-D DL to DVI-D DL cable. Any other combination of ports or cables could result in the 3007WFP not "sensing" DVI-D DL and reverting to 1280x800 60Hz."

So what I want to know is, and im pretty sure you said it. Those two products you listed, the hdmi to display port, then display port to dvi . Allowed you to get the full 2560x1600?

My laptop is Hp 450 g2 and I do not know how to see what version HDMI it is.

HDMI
  • Supports direct connection to high-definition displays with up to 1920 x 1200@60Hz resolution and 7-channel audio with one convenient cable (not included)
I just went to my product page and saw this.

But you see, when i go to that website i dont even see the correct chipset my laptop has. I has a sticker that says i7. My computer says Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

then Crucial says

8 9 generation, so what im trying to get at, is how do I know its actually limited to FHD, my hdmi port. 

So I have another 3007wfp, and i ordered two different generic hdmi to display port adapter off of amazon, and neither worked correctly. so there must be something special about the one i originally used.

• 10 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 9:44 PM, Bulletdropped said:

So I have another 3007wfp, and i ordered two different generic hdmi to display port adapter off of amazon, and neither worked correctly. so there must be something special about the one i originally used.

Hi there, I know I'm a bit late here but is your setup still working? I too have two 2560x1600 displays and it's been driving me crazy. I only have one HDMI 2.0 port left on my laptop. I tried double active adapters, one of which is from 3Dclub as you mentioned but the setup didn't work. So I ordered another one from 3DClub (HDMI-Displayport) that should be here in a few days. Did you ordered the same adaptors for your second display? Thank you!