Did my DIMM slot just die??

Here's all the info beforehand:

Spoiler

Old RAM: Two Zeppelin 2GB modules in dual-channel config

"New" RAM: Two Corsair XMS3 4GB modules

Motherboard: MSI A68HM-E33 (V1, not V2)

I came home today to install this 8GB dual channel kit, to replace my old 4GB one, while I took off the 4GB stick I think I felt a sting, I probably shorted something or touched a charged cap idk, but after installing the 8GB one and turning on the PC, I would get 6 short beeps (which MSI says it's "memory issue", just as I suspected). It only did this a couple of times, then it stopped.

However, the PC would still not POST with both sticks on, so I tried with only one in the slot closest to the CPU and it did indeed work, after plugging in the second one as well, it still worked but would need more convincing to POST consistently, but the BIOS still saw only 4GB out of the 8 total, even though Windows says I have 8GB total (4 of which being "hardware reserved", setting 8GB from MSCONFIG did NOT help), and CPU-Z telling me that both slots were occupied and read all the metadata from the stick, the BIOS's board explorer told me both slots were occupied; turning on XMP did not help, nor did setting the timings manually.

When I went back to install the 4GB kit that I knew would work, it suddenly also stopped working, just refusing to POST, again, only one stick in the closest slot would work, but this time a stick on the other slot would just cause weird artifacts on the monitor instead of just being a black "pre-post" one. I KNOW FOR A FACT THOSE ARTIFACTS ARE NOT CAUSED BY THE GPU because I'm writing this from the PC in question (and because they only appeared in a fixed region on the screen as opposed to covering everything up).

I haven't tried re-seating the CPU, but I doubt that's the issue, I will try, but not now because I've been at this RAM thing for hours trying to figure it out and I'm just tired of it.

Now I'm currently running in single-channel off that one 4GB stick, and I suspect that slot to have died, but if it did then how could have CPU-Z and the board explorer told me what was in it?

And if it did not die, then what could have happened?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Did you turn off the PSU and remove the plug from the wall socket when adding the DIMMs?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Eibe said:

Did you turn off the PSU and remove the plug from the wall socket when adding the DIMMs?

Yes, only turned it off and then trying to power on the PC to drain the caps.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU