The Benefits and Drawbacks of Going 4k

Paul Rudd
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
39 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Ill be honest here, i cant fathom how the benfits of 4K are not obvious.

its a higher resolution, if the benefits are so arbitrary and not obvious, then why not run at 640x480.

Its a higher resolution, it looks better, more can fit on the screen.

The drawbacks, it requires more GPU power.

Price isnt realy a draw back, any monitor is going to cost money, and you can get 4k monitors real cheap now, its other aspects of the monitor that drive up price, like the make, extra features, quality of the panel etc.

As for 4k gaming being just for bragging. Som1 with 'normal' vision should be able to tell the diference between 1080p, 1440p, and 4k , unless your using a tiny screen size.So its most certainly not just for bragging rights.

@SolarNova I know, right? So very obvious when you own one. As for the GPU requiring more power, sure if you're trying your best to achieve ultra settings. I'm not doing that. I'm trying to achieve medium to very high settings and so far my results have been beyond my expectations. Owning a 3GB GPU in 1080p for about a year and a half has taught me a lot about graphic settings. In fact, I believe I have mastered it. So now that I'm gaming in 4k on the exact same GPU, I don't even have to go into Nvida GeForce Experience anymore to check the recommended settings. I naturally set everything near perfect for a stable 60 fps. And if I see hiccups going on, I go in and do some tweaking here and there and boom, I'm above 70 fps on average. So I turn on v-sync and get to gaming at a stable 60 fps. And in doing so, gaming has become gaming again if you know what I mean.

8 hours ago, TheKDub said:

It's not likely something you'll notice in games aside from maybe in text.

@TheKDub Text is definitely an issue right now. But to me, it's a minor issue. Sure everything is insanely small to read but I'm going to look into fixing that. Something like this would be nice to see again.

If you have the money to spend... 4k is worth it IMO. Just make sure you do it right. If you game in 4k on a regular 4k monitor you may notice some tearing during really fast game play (like spinning around or strafing a wall). I have a Samsung U28E590D which I bought for applications. I do game on it and it does really well. But I do notice some tearing. It isn't really what I bought the monitor originally for and it isn't bad enough that I'm disappointed. Really it is just that at this time I don't game enough to justify spending twice as much on something like a monitor with G-Sync just to resolve minor tearing during game play.

Oh and windows scaling for 4k (while better than it was in the past) still sucks... so that's another thing to keep in mind.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

its a higher resolution, if the benefits are so arbitrary and not obvious, then why not run at 640x480.

Price isnt realy a draw back, any monitor is going to cost money, and you can get 4k monitors real cheap now, its other aspects of the monitor that drive up price, like the make, extra features, quality of the panel etc.

As for 4k gaming being just for bragging. Som1 with 'normal' vision should be able to tell the diference between 1080p, 1440p, and 4k , unless your using a tiny screen size.So its most certainly not just for bragging rights.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

If you have the money to spend... 4k is worth it IMO. Just make sure you do it right. If you game in 4k on a regular 4k monitor you may notice some tearing during really fast game play (like spinning around or strafing a wall). I have a Samsung U28E590D which I bought for applications. I do game on it and it does really well. But I do notice some tearing. It isn't really what I bought the monitor originally for and it isn't bad enough that I'm disappointed. Really it is just that at this time I don't game enough to justify spending twice as much on something like a monitor with G-Sync just to resolve minor tearing during game play.

Oh and windows scaling for 4k (while better than it was in the past) still sucks... so that's another thing to keep in mind.

@Razor Blade Surprisingly, the monitor I bought just 16 hours ago just so happens to be your exact monitor. What are the chances? I already have a solution to that tearing because I did notice it while playing Rocket League while driving up the walls. All you gotta do is turn on v-sync. Worked flawlessly. It even worked for me in GTA 5 at very high settings. Completely eliminates tearing just like it did in 1080p. I'd spin around in circles as fast as I could moving all over the place, no tearing whatsoever. This monitor also has free sync but I have an Nvidia GPU so I can't use it. Doesn't matter at all because v-sync works perfectly.

As for the scaling, I haven't looked much into fixing it yet but I will very soon. I've been so used to squinting at small text on my 1080p monitor, it doesn't bother me that much. And my eyesight is terrible. 

39 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

@SolarNova I know, right? So very obvious when you own one. As for the GPU requiring more power, sure if you're trying your best to achieve ultra settings. I'm not doing that. I'm trying to achieve medium to very high settings and so far my results have been beyond my expectations. Owning a 3GB GPU in 1080p for about a year and a half has taught me a lot about graphic settings. In fact, I believe I have mastered it. So now that I'm gaming in 4k on the exact same GPU, I don't even have to go into Nvida GeForce Experience anymore to check the recommended settings. I naturally set everything near perfect for a stable 60 fps. And if I see hiccups going on, I go in and do some tweaking here and there and boom, I'm above 70 fps on average. So I turn on v-sync and get to gaming at a stable 60 fps. And in doing so, gaming has become gaming again if you know what I mean.