Looking for a laptop for Uni

Hi so I'm heading to University soon and I am going into a computer science major, what laptop would you recommend I get. My budget is $1,000 - $2,000. Your help is very appreciated :)

1 minute ago, BlitzTechTips said:

MacBook Pro 2017. If you're going to be in debt, do it right! xD

No! Not with all the issues they have recently had with their butterfly keyboards!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, BlitzTechTips said:

You're going to be worried about that crap xD? People need to grow up and think that if anything gets under a laptop keyboard it's going to cause problems. I've had my MacBook Pro long enough and never had any issues with it.

Yeah, but those keyboard take that to another level, and you can't fix it in any reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price. Their dust resistance is trash, and you are going to get dust in there. You have to replace the entire keyboard to fix that, and also take the entire system apart pull out rivets, and thread the holes where those rivets are. Those keyboards are trash.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

14 minutes ago, Lemonfred said:

Hi so I'm heading to University soon and I am going into a computer science major, what laptop would you recommend I get. My budget is $1,000 - $2,000. Your help is very appreciated :)

What do you want in a laptop? Please rate these 5 facors on a scale of 1-10: battery life, computational power, thinness, price, and ruggedness.

Buy a Dell XPS or HP Spectre because their keyboards are good, their screens are good, their battery life is strong and they're both pretty powerful. 

Don't buy a MacBook, all you can get is a dual core which doesn't make sense considering your budget. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 hours ago, Lemonfred said:

Any special requirements like display size, weight etc?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

battery life, computational power, thinness, price, and ruggedness

Battery life: 7

Computational power: 10

Thinness: 6

Price: 5

Ruggedness: 6

3 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Any special requirements like display size, weight etc?

Just looking for a daily laptop, I'll mainly be using it for school work. Also going into a cs major it will need to be able to handle programming ides and such.

Consider Dell G7, Clevo N950TP6 and Clevo P950ER/P950EP6. Workstation laptops also good, though you need to wait for CFL-H refreshed models

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, Lemonfred said:

Ok thanks, that greatly helps me in my efforts.

2 hours ago, Lemonfred said:

Would you be fine carrying a power supply around?

25 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I hope you don't mind if I continue the search tomorrow.

I'll be carrying it around all day so carrying a power supply would not be favorable.

I hope you don't mind if I continue the search tomorrow.

I don't mind, thank you!!

6 hours ago, Lemonfred said:

I'll be carrying it around all day so carrying a power supply would not be favorable.

OK... scratch the GTX 1070 and 1080...

8 hours ago, Lemonfred said:

...sorry performance is easy battery life is hard... I am having an issue finding anything that has power and battery life, since laptop manufacturers don't publish that on amazon, and I have things to do... So since you wanted so much performance here is a beast of a laptop, and here is a thin and light beast, and a thin and light, all with at least an I7.