Build a NAS

so i hear everywhere a over the counter NAS pretty much sucks, so i decided to try and build one as people say that is the way to go and better if u have spare parts which i do.

Goal

1 Software FreeNAS (free and good so i hear)
2 Case with lots of storage bays

3 Anything else i'm unaware of

Spare Parts

Sabbertooth z77

i5 3570k 3.4ghz

4x4gb Vengeance Ram(goes with motherboard

strix gtx960 4gb

stock cpu cooler

Thermaltake 500 power supple

Thinking about geting a NZXT H440 Case as it boast a large ammount of drive bays

Drive Bays https://www.nzxt.com/products/h440-black

External 5.25": 0
     Internal 3.5": 11
     Internal 2.5": 8

Would any of this work?

What's the NAS going to be used for? Media Server? File Backup?

You shouldn't need the GTX960. Use the built in intel graphics on your CPU. Unless you're planning on running something that will take advantage of GPU acceleration, having it in there will just be a waste of electricity and add more noise to the system.

$120 is a alot of money to spend on a case. Do you have an old case that you can use instead? You'll run out of SATA ports on the motherboard before you run out of HDD bays in that case. Do you really need that many HDD bays? If so, maybe a 2nd hand server case will be better suited for your needs.

What HDDs are you planning on using in it and how many?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

What thermaltake PSU is it?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

22 minutes ago, Tacomancer said:

so i hear everywhere a over the counter NAS pretty much sucks

You heard wrong.

There are plenty of great NAS systems out there, you just have to spend a little.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Will be used for mostly File Backup, both media server as well would be nice(run .avi and .mp3 off it) but it wont be its main thing.
The video card is just mentioned as a spare part, i don't need to uses it if i don't need it.

i don't have a old case sadly.
was going to grab like 2 of these expansion card things (https://www.ebay.com.au/i/332624540497?chn=ps) 6 onboard and 8 expanded
For a normal pc person ive never touch a server case/pc so im worried about spending money on something ill probly break experimenting on, i know desktops so ill like to stick to what i know.
Amount of HHD is too hard to say i dont have a limt, ill put more as i need them (lets just say i have 5 externals atm)

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What thermaltake PSU is it?

tt-0500nl2nk-a looks fairly generic 

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

8 minutes ago, Tacomancer said:

Get a new PSU, something from tier 1-3 from the PSU tier list in my signature. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Get a new PSU, something from tier 1-3 from the PSU tier list in my signature. 

Any reason why? i have a free one?

9 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

ill take your suggestion :) (the cheaper of the 2 options, lol)

1 minute ago, Tacomancer said:

Any reason why? i have a free one?

Because you don't want a piece of junk powering the thing that's storing all your data.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Tacomancer said:

I'd look at putting money towards buying a new PSU that will be more reliable and more power efficient, especially since as a NAS it will be running 24/7. The wattage won't need to be much if you're not going to be running the GTX960, so you shouldn't need to spend too much to get a quality unit. That thermaltake PSU probably wouldn't even have enough SATA power connectors for your needs anyway.

4 minutes ago, Tacomancer said:

Amount of HHD is too hard to say i dont have a limt, ill put more as i need them (lets just say i have 5 externals atm)

If you don't already have the drives for it, it might be worth considering going a couple of high capacity drives rather than lots of lower capacity drives? Drives like Seagates Ironwolf and WD Reds come in large capacities (12TB and 10TB respectively) and are rated for 24/7 NAS use.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Get 24 hour rated hard drives.

Don't use that 960. Sell it or put it to good use. Intel HD graphics will run fine by itself.

Look for a second hand server case. Enough space for a motherboard and then 10-20 drive slots.

Don't get that power supply. The power supply is from a Case and PSU bundle. It's crappy and I wouldn't trust it too much.

Refer to a PSU tier list, and go for a tier 1-3 power supply as said in the above replies.

hi.

4 minutes ago, tj_420 said:

Get 24 hour rated hard drives.

Don't use that 960. Sell it or put it to good use. Intel HD graphics will run fine by itself.

Look for a second hand server case. Enough space for a motherboard and then 10-20 drive slots.

Don't get that power supply. The power supply is from a Case and PSU bundle. It's crappy and I wouldn't trust it too much.

Refer to a PSU tier list, and go for a tier 1-3 power supply as said in the above replies.

will be getting WD Red NAS drives 
any case suggestions, all i can find its ones that are worth as much as a NAS by it self(trying to be cheap :P, as anything i save will be going into storage it self)
960 in in the parts pile again, its not going it.

Looking at a Corsair 80+ Gold Full Modular RM550X

Just now, Tacomancer said:

will be getting WD Red NAS drives 
any case suggestions, all i can find its ones that are worth as much as a NAS by it self(trying to be cheap :P, as anything i save will be going into storage it self)
960 in in the parts pile again, its not going it.

Looking at a Corsair 80+ Gold Full Modular RM550X

How many drives are you getting? 

hi.

2 minutes ago, tj_420 said:

How many drives are you getting? 

as many as i can fit in a case, hoping for like 10+