unRAID VMs not booting + other questions

For people who have experience with unRAID virtualization. I've posted this on the unRAID support forums and contacted support but received no responses via either method.

Hello. This is my first time attempting any sort of virtualization. The goal is to create an LTT-style 4 gamers on 1 tower. Below are my system specs:

• Core i7 7820X
  • MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • 32GB DDR4 3000 non-ECC
  • 2x GTX 1050
  • 2x GT 710
  • 5x Kingston A400 120GB SSD

The system posts just fine and all hardware is detected in the BIOS and by unRAID.

First Question: Since the 7820X doesn't have an on board GPU, must I use one of the NVIDIA cards, or can I disable unRAID's video output so I can pass that GPU through to a VM? I don't use the command line for setup, I use the web GUI. I'd like to be able to pass through each GPU so I can have 4 VMs.

Second Question: In the VMs tools in the web gui, I've created 4 Windows 7 Pro VMs, but only one will actually turn on. Would switching to Windows 10 VMs make any difference?

Third Question: We'd like to use 4 of the same mouse and keyboard for each VM. Can we pass through a different USB hub to each VM, then plug our peripherals into those?

I don't have access to the system until Monday (it's at work), so I can't send any info. But are these questions/problems common and easy fixes?

Thanks!

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

1 you can, but it will make it a pain to fix or work on things if something goes worng.

2. are the gpus passed thoug with them vms? Look in the system log.

3. Yep you can.

But what are you doing? Your probalby much better suited to using something like multipoint built into windows. That way you can use 1 gpu for as many monitors that can be plugged in and pick the keyboard by pressing a key. And its built into window sserver.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1 you can, but it will make it a pain to fix or work on things if something goes worng.

2. are the gpus passed thoug with them vms? Look in the system log.

3. Yep you can.

But what are you doing? Your probalby much better suited to using something like multipoint built into windows. That way you can use 1 gpu for as many monitors that can be plugged in and pick the keyboard by pressing a key. And its built into window sserver.

1.  Noted

2. Yes, the GPUs are getting passed through. The monitors don't show a "no signal", just black. One VM does start normally.

3. Great

We're using this in an internet cafe setting at a non-profit daycare center. It's our alternative to having to maintain and service 32 computers... with this project, we only need 8.

I'll have access to the system tomorrow and can send log information, etc.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

Just now, DavePlays said:

1.  Noted

2. Yes, the GPUs are getting passed through. The monitors don't show a "no signal", just black. One VM does start normally.

3. Great

We're using this in an internet cafe setting at a non-profit daycare center. It's our alternative to having to maintain and service 32 computers... with this project, we only need 8.

I'll have access to the system tomorrow and can send log information, etc.

You want multipoint then. That way you can use much less hardware and cheaper system. One 710 can drive 3 users just fine for multipoint, and a sinlge 250 gb ssd will be fine, and you dont need x299.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

You want multipoint then. That way you can use much less hardware and cheaper system. One 710 can drive 3 users just fine for multipoint, and a sinlge 250 gb ssd will be fine, and you dont need x299.

Ok I'll look into this. Do you know of any good resources or tutorials to help set it up?

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

1 minute ago, DavePlays said:

Ok I'll look into this. Do you know of any good resources or tutorials to help set it up?

Microsoft has a guide https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/multipoint-services/introducing-multipoint-services

Basically install windows server, install the multipoint services, then its pretty easy.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Microsoft has a guide https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/multipoint-services/introducing-multipoint-services

Basically install windows server, install the multipoint services, then its pretty easy.

Alright I'll take a look. Thanks for the help!

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

57 minutes ago, DavePlays said:

Alright I'll take a look. Thanks for the help!

If your plan is to use them as gaming machines with GPU pass through, it doesn't look like this will work very well.

Maybe I've missed something here tho.

If that works it'd be incredible.

Just now, LinusTech said:

If your plan is to use them as gaming machines with GPU pass through, it doesn't look like this will work very well.

Holy crap Linus actually responded to a post of mine :D

Well looking at my original plan with unRAID, did you experience any of these issues with the 7 gamers 1 cpu project? I'm trying to rely on the tutorial from 2 gamers 1 cpu, but unRAID has been updated since then and some things have changed. Any ideas for where I can find an updated tutorial or do you know someone at unRAID who can help?

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

And considering we already bought the hardware and built the system, we kind of need this to work... or I'm so firedxD

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

8 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Oh and this is for a non-profit child care center and the kids have been asking me for days when they can play Minecraft on it... (here's the place's site: www.artsroc.net)

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

1. you can run the system on the CLI if it is connected to the network. Then you can assign all GPU's to a VM and use them all. You can configure anything through the web gui by just typing the ip into a browser while on the same network. The GUI will be exactly the same as it is on the GUI boot.

2. Switching to win 10 might make a difference but it shouldn't matter. It is most likely something else. Check all the settings and make sure the IOMMU groups are correct etc... Also check the log in the GUI. It might tell you whats wrong. Make sure you don't assign the same CPU cores to multiple machines, don't know if unraid shows an error for this as i've never done this but saying just in case... Also very important is to make sure you give unraid enough memory for itself. I've had Multiple VM's crash because the system ran out of memory... perhaps the other VM's are crashing because you assigned to much memory? with 32GB total my advice would be to go with 6GB max for each VM. 8GB for each will not work as that will leave nothing for unraid.

3. I don't think you can pass through usb hubs themselves. They'll just be USB ports on the same controller. All the devices you connect will show up but you will have to assign them before turning on the VM. You cannot hotplug them while the VM's are running. To do that you will need to add multiple USB controllers and assign those to the VM's. Seeing as you're using 4 GPU's it is unlikely you have any room left for USB controllers.

I have no signature