High pitched sound from psu (I think)

Noxuletz

Today I installed my new Corsair CX650M. I played games for like 4 hours and when I took off my headphones I noticed a veeeeery quiet high pitched sound. It's not annoying but I know it is there. Is it normal? 

Yeah, probably either the PSU or the GPU having a problem with coil whine, it's normal, but that doesn't mean it isn't annoying.

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

Yeah, probably either the PSU or the GPU having a problem with coil whine, it's normal, but that doesn't mean it isn't annoying.

jep, probably coil whine. i have a PSU that does this. it can be annoying AF

19 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

jep, probably coil whine. i have a PSU that does this. it can be annoying AF

The thing is that it happens even on idle with nothing opened. I heard that coil whine appears when playing games. Is it normal like this,too?

Just now, Noxuletz said:

The thing is that it happens even on idle with nothing opened. I heard that coil whine appears when playing games. Is it normal like this,too?

usually, coil whine gets worse when there is more stress on the coils but on some devices it can totally happen that the whine is always present even when idle. 

that PSU i talked about makes that noise as soon as the power button is pressed.

i even had coil whine on phone chargers - i could tell when the phone had finished charging because the pitch would change slightly but the noise was always present, even with no phone connected.

4 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

usually, coil whine gets worse when there is more stress on the coils but on some devices it can totally happen that the whine is always present even when idle. 

that PSU i talked about makes that noise as soon as the power button is pressed.

i even had coil whine on phone chargers - i could tell when the phone had finished charging because the pitch would change slightly but the noise was always present, even with no phone connected.

I have the coil whine on my phone charger too lol. If I wasn't able to hear it while wearing headphones and playing at the same time I assume it's ok. Thank you guys for all the quick feedback.

Unfortunately, "coil whine" is pretty common with the CX-M series.  Nothing's wrong with the PSU.  It's just the magnetics vibrating at an audible level.