Thermal paste. Should i change it every once in a while?

kunka_boi161

Hi im just wondering since  my PC is about 7 years old (dell otiplex 990 mini tower) and i got it from a used computer shop. i was wondering if i should i remove the old themal paste and apply new ones? 

Yeah but use something good like MX-4 or NT-H1 instead of the potato stuff that is probably there.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

after 7 years, yes i would highly suggest it.

MX-4 or NT-H1 like @Enderman suggested or even Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut if you want to spend just a little more

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Good thermal paste can last at least 5 years.

But after 7 years I would definitly replace the paste.

Just now, kunka_boi161 said:

what happens if i dont replace my thermal paste? 

it gets dry and crusty and stops being useful. then you run into issues with over heating.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

it gets dry and crusty and stops being useful. then you run into issues with over heating.

Thanks for the info! :)