Galaxy S9

AngryBeaver

I wish I knew why the S7-S9 have all decided to take a step back when it comes to Megapixels. I mean if the S6 was 16mp why are we back to 12mp cameras. Yes, the low light shots are better now, but the overall quality of the pictures has gone down hill.

Just look at some comparison shots from the s6 and s9 for daylight shots. The S6 is just a better picture in general. Not sure why people (myself included) drop 800ish on a phone that is inferior in ways to a 3 year old version of it.

Hey, buy the older one if you want too, no one is gunna judge.

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Jaminahat said:

Hey, buy the older one if you want too, no one is gunna judge.

I just retired that phone to my kid. So he got a slightly better phone and I got a newer phone with a lower MP camera :-/

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

he got a slightly better phone and I got a newer phone with a lower MP camera :-/

I guess it's all about what people use the phone for, I wouldn't care less about the camera on a new phone as I rarely take pictures but i guess others do. 

One thing to learn is to always research more in depth before you buy. It's the same with computer stuff i suppose, some older equipment is better than new, but they are all designed to do slightly different tasks better than others.

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I just retired that phone to my kid. So he got a slightly better phone and I got a newer phone with a lower MP camera :-/

Megapixel count is not indicative of picture quality. It's the quality of the optics. A 24MP picture taken through a pinhole aperture with a plastic lens is going to produce pictures of lesser quality than a 14MP one with a proper glass lens and such.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Megapixel count is not indicative of picture quality. It's the quality of the optics. A 24MP picture taken through a pinhole aperture with a plastic lens is going to produce pictures of lesser quality than a 14MP one with a proper glass lens and such.

That is true when we are talking nice professional cameras, but when it comes to cell phones they are so limited on space that even the highest quality cameras are going to be low quality compared to a nice dedicated one.

I mean they did make some aperture changes, but they are mostly to enhance low light shots. So yes, low light photos turn out better, but you are losing the raw information in a daylight picture due to the 4mp reduction.

16 minutes ago, Jaminahat said:

I guess it's all about what people use the phone for, I wouldn't care less about the camera on a new phone as I rarely take pictures but i guess others do. 

One thing to learn is to always research more in depth before you buy. It's the same with computer stuff i suppose, some older equipment is better than new, but they are all designed to do slightly different tasks better than others.

I did do the research going in, so I knew this was going to be a trade off. I am just trying to figure out why samsung would go this route. I am also in a similar mindset over the forced edge screen (Which I could careless about). It is faster, snappier, and has some features that are nice and worth while. I just wish they actually upgraded all aspects of the phone. The same setup with a 16mp camera instead of 12 would have been an even bigger step forward.

That is true when we are talking nice professional cameras, but when it comes to cell phones they are so limited on space that even the highest quality cameras are going to be low quality compared to a nice dedicated one.

If it's casual shooting and letting the camera fiddle with the settings, I'd argue phone cameras have gotten to a point where most people couldn't tell the difference.

i2EATbv.jpg

I mean they did make some aperture changes, but they are mostly to enhance low light shots. So yes, low light photos turn out better, but you are losing the raw information in a daylight picture due to the 4mp reduction.

And that somehow results in an appreciably worse picture?

Ah whatever, you seem entrenched in the idea.

These pics are from a comparison site. https://phandroid.com/2017/05/04/galaxy-s8-vs-s7-vs-s6-vs-s5-camera-test/

The s6 is on the left and the s8 (same as s9 essentially) is on the right.

Galaxy-S6-vs-S8-Screen-Shot-2017-05-03-at-1.18.00-PM-640x421.jpg

the left S6 is much more sharp and has more detail in the photo.

Galaxy-S6-vs-S8-Screen-Shot-2017-05-03-at-12.29.45-PM-640x428.jpg

Same thing s6 on the left captures more of the lttle details on each leaf.

Galaxy-S7-vs-S8-Screen-Shot-2017-05-03-at-12.45.53-PM-640x425.jpg

This comes down to how focusing and more pixels... resulting in a better picture from the s6 (on left)

These are my major complaints.