Making a budget pc for a console gamer :P

thicccc

So I'm making a part list for a friend of mine who agreed to switch over from the dirty console race to PC and here's what I got https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9PDBmq

Any suggestions u guys could make? He said he wanted the budget to be around 300-400 Canadian Dollars

I have the 1050 myself, but I can't speak much for the CPU. 4GB ram I don't feel will be enough depending on what you play. What kind of games will you be playing? 8GB is recommended, but its hard in the market's current state (ram and gpu prices have went up high.) Benchmarks for the intel CPU seem to be similar to the AND FX-6300. I have that AMD CPU myself - its dated 2012 and to be honest isn't too great of a pick, but it may work depending on what you'd play. If someone could recommend a better CPU (or leave room for upgrading) it would be great.

What do you like to/plan on playing? Also, that storage space isnt gonna be too great, but hey, if thats all you need, go for it.

This is kind of a bad time to be converting from console peasant, tbqh

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

For 300-400 bucks I would be looking into slightly older prebuilt and throwing the best gpu you can afford into it. It will outperform the setup you have there.

Wow....I think I paid 90 bucks for my 2gb 1050.

7 minutes ago, braveshine said:

I have the 1050 myself, but I can't speak much for the CPU. 4GB ram I don't feel will be enough depending on what you play. What kind of games will you be playing? 8GB is recommended, but its hard in the market's current state (ram and gpu prices have went up high.) Benchmarks for the intel CPU seem to be similar to the AND FX-6300. I have that AMD CPU myself - its dated 2012 and to be honest isn't too great of a pick, but it may work depending on what you'd play. If someone could recommend a better CPU (or leave room for upgrading) it would be great.

What do you like to/plan on playing? Also, that storage space isnt gonna be too great, but hey, if thats all you need, go for it.

G4560 is a few bucks more and has two more threads

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

G4560 is a few bucks more and has two more threads

That sounds like the better option then, for sure.

1 minute ago, markr54632 said:

For 300-400 bucks I would be looking into slightly older prebuilt and throwing the best gpu you can afford into it.

This may actually be a significantly better investment. I agree with this. More money can be put into psu/storage/gpu if you grab a prebuilt (never thought I'd be saying this, but times are tough)

i think i'd look into used at taht price point. for maximum performance per $$

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I would personally go for a i5 3xxx or 2xxx CPU with a higher end GPU at the price.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

26 minutes ago, thicccc said:

So I'm making a part list for a friend of mine who agreed to switch over from the dirty console race to PC and here's what I got https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9PDBmq

Any suggestions u guys could make? He said he wanted the budget to be around 300-400 Canadian Dollars

Lenovo M83 from Newegg Canada is $310CAD, i5-4570, 8GB, 500GB

then buy your GTX-1050 or 1050ti for $160'ishCAD

or better yet, but a used GPU from Kijiji or ebay

The M83 has a 280W psu so you might need to install a higher wattage psu. If that be the case, since the psu is proprietory, you can still buy a cheap ATX psu and there is plenty of info online to convert it.

20 minutes ago, thicccc said:

The best $400 "gaming PC" right now is an Xbox One X

If you really want to go PC, the best you'll do with $400 is an Ivy or Haswell i5 prebuilt, a beefier PSU and a GTX 770 or 780. Not a bad setup at all and definitely capable of 1080p gaming, but it can't beat a One X or a PS4.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Dell 7010 mini towers go for $175-250 with an i5-3470 with 8gb ram and usually a 500 gb hdd.

I used one of these as the base to my budget build.

I added 8 gb more ram for $30 ish

I added a 60gb ssd boot drive for $20 (plenty for windows)

I added a 1050 for $100ish, although it looks like your gonna spend significantly more now. Like someone said above a used gpu would likely be a better investment.

I added an evga 450 watt power supply for $30 (this fits in the dell case).

This is a horrible candidate for a case swap. I put mine in a different case, but to avoid POST errors on boot involved soldering (factory power switch has to be retained in line, front i/o, and fan headers are proprietary).

6 hours ago, aisle9 said:

The best $400 "gaming PC" right now is an Xbox One X

Exactly.

Three month ago i built a PC for my nephew to replace his Xbox 360. manage to get Zotac GTX1050Ti mini for 130$ and got a very capable 1080p machine. In today's prices  i would've bought him an Xbox One S or X.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB