Need some thoughts on cryorig coolers

adzygamer15
3 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well no worries with this cooler, you can not only totally clear all RAM slots and completely show off your nice RGB RAM, but do so and have a cooler that fits well in your case and surprisingly will cool nearly as well as that Dock Rock Pro 3. It also comes with a high-end Phanteks PH-F140 HP fan as default :)

wait so the Dark Rock 3 will be fine with my ram? 

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Poor performer compared to all of its competition86760.png.8a388dfc3e1a9efd5bad8ccac76cc872.png

Oooooo I forgot about the Thermalright 140 True Spirit, I forget if its a thin tower or not... Ill have to see... Super dope cooler though, absolutely top notch but expensive and may not fit, Ill go find out real quick

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

wait so does the dark rock 3 have issues with my ram all will block any slots orrrr???

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

Oooooo I forgot about the Thermalright 140 True Spirit, I forget if its a thin tower or not... Ill have to see... Super dope cooler though, absolutely top notch but expensive and may not fit, Ill go find out real quick

It is, that data is pulled from a 140mm slim tower round up 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, adzygamer15 said:

wait so does the dark rock 3 have issues with my ram all will block any slots orrrr???

Not sure but probably yes

Just now, Damascus said:

Not sure but probably yes

i can't find the limit

26 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

@WallacEngineering@WoodenMarker@Damascus i think i'll go with the DR3 as the cooler and then get the Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass as the case, I can't afford to spend more and I'm fine the just the DR3, I'm just not spending alot on the case. Any other recommendations or use the Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass or i even could go back to focus g

Unless you're not using the first dimm slot, don't expect the DR3 to clear the ram.

Unless you're outfitting the case with aftermarket fans or getting the Panzer-S with included led fans, it would be worse than the cheaper Focus G for cooling. 

25 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Cryorig fans are close to the worst stock fans included with large air coolers. These high-end heat sinks are supposed to be designed for maximum cooling performance and then they equip fans that are woefully under powered.

Firstly, their 140mm fans are not only slow (1300 RPM Max) but are also not designed for static pressure (less large fins are better than many smaller fins), and are known to fail prematurely.

The DR3 has a 1400rpm 135mm fan. This is a pretty normal rpm range for 140mm fans. Try to find some good 140mm fans that go much higher.

All fans has some degree of static pressure and airflow. What's enough varies depending on the situation.

Any links you can provided to show that they perform much better with different fans? As far as the performance with the stock fan goes, it seems to hold up to similarly or more expensive coolers in it's class. 

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2015/06/review-cryorig-h5-ultimate/5/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H5_Universal/6.html

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html

What's known to fail prematurely?

13 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well no worries with this cooler, you can not only totally clear all RAM slots and completely show off your nice RGB RAM, but do so and have a cooler that fits well in your case and surprisingly will cool nearly as well as that Dock Rock Pro 3. It also comes with a high-end Phanteks PH-F140 HP fan as default :)

It performs pretty badly and is worse than the H7 as shown by @Damascus

Where are you seeing its performance similar to the DRP3?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, adzygamer15 said:

Damn, Thermalright True Spirit is 171 mm tall, WAY too big for your build. Damnit, um Dark Rock Pro will have issues with the RGB Vengeance but if you go with LPX Vengeance and put your RGB lighting elsewhere, then any cooler under 160mm height will work.

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Unless you're not using the first dimm slot, don't expect the DR3 to clear the ram.

Unless you're outfitting the case with aftermarket fans or getting the Panzer-S with included led fans, it would be worse than the cheaper Focus G for cooling. 

Any links you can provided to show that they perform much better with different fans? As far as the performance with the stock fan goes, it seems to hold up to similarly or more expensive coolers in it's class. 

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2015/06/review-cryorig-h5-ultimate/5/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H5_Universal/6.html

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html

The DR3 has a 1400rpm 135mm fan. This is a pretty normal rpm range for 140mm fans. Try to find some good 140mm fans that go much higher.

All fans has some degree of static pressure and airflow. What's enough 

What's known to fail prematurely?

It performs pretty badly and is worse than the H7 as shown by @Damascus

Where are you seeing its performance similar to the DRP3?

It blocks the first slot. I mentioned this on the previous page.

I just know with my own personal testing. The factory fans made the R1 loose to my buddie's H150i by over 5C but then with the Phanteks fans it matched it, and I was quite happy.

There are a number of complaints with the Cryorig fans from people all over the web but thats just stuff Ive seen over time, did alot of research before I bought the R1, I was gonna get Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E but they are no longer being made and so rare that I cant find one even online for less than $200. Just wasn't worth it.

The thin edition R1 Universal fan is especially bad. It "ticks" constantly above 40-60% PWM and many users have reported the same thing, and it fails for a LOT of people in like the first 6 months.

Static pressure is generally accepted to be decent above 1.2 and when you get close to 2.0 its considered really good (measured in mm-H2O)

I saw the Phanteks slim performance about 2 years ago on Thermal Bench. Huh, I always thought those guys were so accurate too... bummer, I guess I was skeptical of the sheer thinness of those heat sinks for a reason.

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

I saw the Phanteks slim performance about 2 years ago on Thermal Bench.

It's not the worst thing in the world, it just gets it's ass handed to it by the direct competition.  Looks good while doing so but still

I wouldn't suggest trying to upgrade the DRP3 fans if thats what OP goes with. Be Silent makes pretty good fans and the weird 135mm abnormal format makes it pretty much impossible to replace or upgrade.

Current Build Thread:

7 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

@WoodenMarkerdo you know if my ram would fit?

You know what, if you really want the super tall RGB RAM you may have no choice but to take a cooling performance hit and just get a smaller single tower. Ill go through some options on NewEgg and give you a few ideas.

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

You know what, if you really want the super tall RGB RAM you may have no choice but to take a cooling performance hit and just get a smaller single tower. Ill go through some options on NewEgg and give you a few ideas.

if it only blocks my first slot that will be okay. i am using a dual channel and most likely won't add more. if i do i can upgrade cooler then maybe

3 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

if it only blocks my first slot that will be okay. i am using a dual channel and most likely won't add more. if i do i can upgrade cooler then maybe

Just get an H5.  Pair it with something like a meshify C and you can probably OC it up to 4.6-5ghz depending on your chip.

If necessary, upgrading the cpu cooler down the line is the easiest part of a build.

1 minute ago, adzygamer15 said:

@WoodenMarkerdo you know if my ram would fit?

It was the first line in my last post. 

The DR3 hangs over the first dimm slot with 40mm of clearance. If you're not using the first slot, you're fine. Otherwise, the ram won't fit.

5 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

Not worth doing imo when you could just get a cooler that doesn't get in the way in the first place.

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

I just know with my own personal testing. The factory fans made the R1 loose to my buddie's H150i by over 5C but then with the Phanteks fans it matched it, and I was quite happy.

There are a number of complaints with the Cryorig fans from people all over the web but thats just stuff Ive seen over time, did alot of research before I bought the R1, I was gonna get Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E but they are no longer being made and so rare that I cant find one even online for less than $200. Just wasn't worth it.

The thin edition R1 Universal fan is especially bad. It "ticks" constantly above 40-60% PWM and many users have reported the same thing, and it fails for a LOT of people in like the first 6 months.

Static pressure is generally accepted to be decent above 1.2 and when you get close to 2.0 its considered really good (measured in mm-H2O)

I saw the Phanteks slim performance about 2 years ago on Thermal Bench. Huh, I always thought those guys were so accurate too... bummer, I guess I was skeptical of the sheer thinness of those heat sinks for a reason.

Cooling benchmarks taken from a single source isn't reliable enough. There are legitimate tests where a large dual-tower cooler like the NH-D15 will be outperformed by a 92mm heatsink like the M9i. I don't remember the specific article and I'll make sure to take note the next time I see it. Nevertheless, these are legitimate results but shouldn't be taken at face value. It's better to compare multiple sources since differences in testing can lead to drastically different results.

There will be complaints about failures for any popular product. Corsair's CX line for example has many, many horror stories of failure documented online yet has low RMA rates below 1% which are rather good.

Most pwm fans tick.

Static pressure is relative and not an independent spec. For what usage and airflow is 1.2mm-H2O good for?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Just get an H5.  Pair it with something like a meshify C and you can probably OC it up to 4.6-5ghz depending on your chip.

If necessary, upgrading the cpu cooler down the line is the easiest part of a build.

Yea honestly this is getting difficult lol.

I would honestly just go with the DRP3 and then remove the front fan if necessary. You will take a hit to cooling if that happens but if you supply enough airflow from the intake, you will be fine :)

Current Build Thread:

well i won't be getting anymore ram and my motherboard uses the 2nd and fourth slot so it will be okay if it gets blocked, i hope anyways

18 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It was the first line in my last post. 

The DR3 hangs over the first dimm slot with 40mm of clearance. If you're not using the first slot, you're fine. Otherwise, the ram won't fit.

Not worth doing imo when you could just get a cooler that doesn't get in the way in the first place.

Cooling benchmarks taken from a single source isn't reliable enough. There are legitimate tests where a large dual-tower cooler like the NH-D15 will be outperformed by a 92mm heatsink like the M9i. I don't remember the specific article and I'll make sure to take note the next time I see it. Nevertheless, these are legitimate results but shouldn't be taken at face value. It's better to compare multiple sources since differences in testing can lead to drastically different results.

There will be complaints about failures for any popular product. Corsair's CX line for example has many, many horror stories of failure documented online yet has low RMA rates below 1% which are rather good.

Most pwm fans tick.

Static pressure is relative and not an independent spec. For what usage and airflow is 1.2mm-H2O good for?

Well my Phanteks certainly work without ticking at all, they are dead silent at low RPM, i literally have to press my ear against the case to hear anything at all under low-medium loads, which I quite like, its a rare thing to see from an air-cooled build.

Look man Im getting back into "The game" after not doing any research for over a year. Once I built my case all my technical research was done, all I needed was a new CPU, RAM, and Mobo. I know that static pressure relates to CFM of air movement in order to produce a value called "Static Efficiency" and the higher the efficiency the better. Beyond that, I have no idea. What I do know is that large fan blades rather than small fan blades produces better static efficiency and pressure at the same RPM than small fan blades. That is why static-pressure specific fans even exist.

I looked up reviews of the R1 not just with Thermal Bench but with like literally 50 other sites lol. I spent a total of LITERALLY 50 hours on the internet over a week to determine that the R1 with some upgraded fans was my best option (besides the Thermalright Arrow) in pursuit of the Ultimate Air-Cooled PC.

I appreciate Thermal Bench because despite your conflicting results as compared to my research findings, Thermal Bench has the most advanced testing methodology and the most accurate results I have seen out of all 50 sites I visited. They are very scientific to the point where reviewing a freaking case fan yields a 5-6 page report FULL of text and graphs with airflow, static pressure, static efficiency, measure of flow after passing through a radiator, a dust filter, behind a tempered glass panel, they test some CPU coolers including the R1 with upgraded fans to see the difference, at low RPM, medium RPM, and high RPM for ALL those different tests!

These guys are so OCD with their testing I am pretty sure that even Linus couldn't keep up, they are ridiculous and totally unbiased too as they take reviews from several members and dont care about the air-cooling vs water-cooling fanboy war. Its a good site, I recommend it to anyone who want's some good technical reading.

Current Build Thread:

7 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

well i won't be getting anymore ram and my motherboard uses the 2nd and fourth slot so it will be okay if it gets blocked, i hope anyways

Ya you will be fine then, the DRP3 Pro or H5 are both good choices then. DRP3 will be the better performer by a small margin.

Current Build Thread:

Dark Rock Pro 3 Versus Cryorig R1 (stock fans on both) video:

Current Build Thread:

6 hours ago, adzygamer15 said:

@WallacEngineering@WoodenMarker@Damascus@ZM Fong@Mooshi@CUDA_Cores okay so for everyone that's helped and etc. i think i will go with the Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler considering that will cool my CPU and still be okay for minor overclocking. I'm honestly just going to be pushing it a little bit and not to 5 GHz so it will be fine. Also what fan do I replace the H5 with to get better performance? I am just gonna need some help with still a cheap case that still has good airflow! I was looking at the Fractal Design Focus G Case but if i need to I can get rid of my optical drive and get an external if I really have to. I just need a case that will keep my GPU and all of my other components cool and it hopefully will still be have a bit of cheapness and looks alright xD I live in Australia so feel free to browse on https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ for any cases that would suite my build. I will link my final specs below (without the case because I still need that xD) thank you everyone that's helped 

Final Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/adzygamer15/saved/g8qf8d

EDIT: I just realised i can't use the H5, ram is too tall AGHHH

That's what the universal is for. 

Just an FYI, you don't gain better better performance swapping the stock fan. The H7 is below the H5 and that cools an overclocked 6700k in an itx build fine at 4.4Ghz. Tried doing push pull with two Corsair SP fans and not only was it way louder it actually cooled worse than the single stock fan.