Best Z370 Board for OC?

Hello knowledgeable people,

As the title implies, I'm looking to upgrade my system to the new Intel chipset. I'm currently running a 6700K @4.8GHz on a Gigabyte Z170x UD3 board, and I'd like to upgrade to an 8700K. To do so, obviously, requires a new board.

This current rig is my first build, and my first attempt at overclocking. I absolutely loved it, so I'd like to take it to the next level for this upgrade. I've been eyeing the ASUS Maximus X Formula, but if someone can make a compelling argument for a different board on the grounds of better OC potential, I'm all ears. Also, any added overclocking advice is always welcome. I've even considered deliding and phase change cooling in my quest for GHz's, so if you know a thing or two about either of those, let me know! (I've seen the LTT videos related to both, just so you know)

The MSI Godlike is a great OCer but it's EATX and all the problems that come with that. If you are going to invest in a super-high-end consumer socket board get one of the Maximus line (I'm not super familiar with those so I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable). ASUS reliability, AURA support, great looks IMO.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

The Maximus X Formula looks like a good choice. The fact that the built-in waterblock covers the VRMs will make a noticeable difference in overclocking.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

The MSI Godlike is a great OCer but it's EATX and all the problems that come with that

Actually wouldn't mind EATX, so thanks for the suggestion. Haven't looked a ton at MSI tbh.

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

AURA support, great looks IMO.

Ah damn, you're right. Can't forget that RGB adds at least .5GHz

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

The Maximus X Formula looks like a good choice. The fact that the built-in waterblock covers the VRMs will make a noticeable difference in overclocking.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how important VRM cooling was or if that was just a "neat feature". Good to know!

1 minute ago, AzraelXeros said:

Thanks! I wasn't sure how important VRM cooling was or if that was just a "neat feature". Good to know!

For overclocking, keeping your VRMs cool is just as important as keeping your Cpu cool. Remember that OCing your cpu draws more power, meaning your VRMs have to work harder to deliver that power. They need to feel the love too! 

1 minute ago, butler1233 said:

For overclocking, keeping your VRMs cool is just as important as keeping your Cpu cool. Remember that OCing your cpu draws more power, meaning your VRMs have to work harder to deliver that power. They need to feel the love too! 

I admit I hadn't considered that, makes sense though. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, AzraelXeros said:

Hello knowledgeable people,

As the title implies, I'm looking to upgrade my system to the new Intel chipset. I'm currently running a 6700K @4.8GHz on a Gigabyte Z170x UD3 board, and I'd like to upgrade to an 8700K. To do so, obviously, requires a new board.

This current rig is my first build, and my first attempt at overclocking. I absolutely loved it, so I'd like to take it to the next level for this upgrade. I've been eyeing the ASUS Maximus X Formula, but if someone can make a compelling argument for a different board on the grounds of better OC potential, I'm all ears. Also, any added overclocking advice is always welcome. I've even considered deliding and phase change cooling in my quest for GHz's, so if you know a thing or two about either of those, let me know! (I've seen the LTT videos related to both, just so you know)

Now this depends a lot on what kind of overclocking, the overclocking I do, the ROG Maximus X Apex is pretty much the pinnacle, with a few other two dimmers around from other makes to allow over 4200MHz CL11-12-12-28 memory overclocks. If you aren't doing competitive/extreme overclocking then basically any +$200 board will be good, but from my experience ROG is generally the best, however that's a personal preference as the features aren't needed. Most overclocking oriented high end boards would be acceptable. 

Yours faithfully

Fatal1ty Z370 i7. When it comes to overclock, asrock is simply one of the top dogs on this. They basically got a name for themselves from their overclocking motherboards. 

All their bios are so complete, really good if you want to tweak to the very single timing of the memory. Also their motherboards pack the best VRMs when you compare other motherboards at the same price points.

when i was looking to upgrade i got the asus maximus x hero recommended and it's been a great experience so far.

one thing i do not like about this board/asus in general is the fan curve, problem with this is that it's locked 75C and that means your fans will ramp up at 75C no matter what.

other than that it's a great board

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

This one is easy to answer. Others already collected all the facts you need to decide.

df50d7d4_z370lineup-WIP.png

http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1638955-z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread.html

keep in mind some boards may need more power for a stable overclock then others, The Asus Rog Maximus X Formula is a good example for this, It just needs more vcore then the apex or hero board. I ordered the Maximus X Formula myself, it will arrive end of the week or beginning of the next week. 

Have this guy laying around already...

IMG_20180305_134212454.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |